Sinful to have favorite people?

I was reading in the bible and said you should not have favoritism on people and if you do its a sin. If it is a sin , can you please explain by what it means.

St. John the Beloved disagrees

Wasn’t John, Jesus’ special/favourite disciple?

I suppose the main issue is just how diplomatically such feelings are expressed in the presence of others. I feel sure that Jesus could be the consumate diplomat when required and appropriate.

Could you tell us where in the Bible you read this?

It was is james

[quote="steve99n, post:1, topic:327855"]
I was reading in the bible and said you should not have favoritism on people and if you do its a sin. If it is a sin , can you please explain by what it means.

[/quote]

Read De Spirituali Amicitia by Aelred of Rievaulx

Are you talking about James Chapter 2 where it talks about the sin of partiality? Verses 1-4: “My brothers show no partiality as you adhere to the faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ. For if a man with gold rings on his fingers and in fine clothes comes into your assembly, and a poor person in shabby clothes also comes in, and you pay attention to the one wearing the fine clothes and say, ‘Sit here, please,’ while you say to the poor one, ‘Stand there,’ or ‘Sit at my feet,’ have you not made distinctions among yourelves and become judges with evil designs?” Verse 9: “But if you show partiality, you commit sin, and are convicted by the law as transgressors.” My study notes in the New American Bible say: “In the Christian community there must be no discrimination or favoritism based on status or wealth.” So it doesn’t mean you can’t have a favorite friend. It simply means you shouldn’t go out of your way to welcome rich people at your parish, while ignoring the poor parishioners. My study notes say: "When Christians show favoritism to the rich they are guilty of the worst kind of prejudice and discrimination. …such Christians set themselves up as judges who judge not by divine law but by the basest, self-serving motives.

Well said, Veronica.

To that, I add a few other scripture passages that come to mind: Jesus commands us to love one another (John 13:34-35). He commands us to care for those in need, especially the poor, and to welcome the stranger (Matthew 25:31-46). He even teaches that we should love our enemies (Matthew 5:43-48). We are all made in the image and likeness of God (Genesis 1:26).

[quote="ConstantineTG, post:2, topic:327855"]
St. John the Beloved disagrees

[/quote]

Good point!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.