Sinful TV

My mom and I are both conservative Catholics. However, she likes to unwind after work and watch TV. This in itself is not bad, but some of the TV she watches is quite sinful. I, on the other hand, ended up phasing out all TV and movies that had a sinful message or portrayed a lot of sin for no good reason--not because I'm holier than anyone else, but because seeing it is like a punch in the gut.

I've tried talking about my concern for her, but this hasn't worked. What do you think?

After I graduated college and during the brief few months I lived at home, I had this problem too.

The best thing to do, is find a good TV show that's clean, buy the DVDs for it, and then suggest that you guys watch an episode of that instead. Or you can connect your laptop to your TV and hulu something instead.

Basically, get it into a situation where you can control what is being watched. I found my Mom was just happy to get to do something with her son and was pretty agreeable to what we watched, I'd just politely steer away from the more risque stuff.

You could also try just outright telling her it's a problem. Sometimes women are just blissfully unaware of how tempting something can be for a guy.

if she is an adult and it is her house and TV she can watch what she watches. you can comment, but you cannot tell her what to do. You can say, mom watching this garbage is like a punch in the gut for me, so I am going to my room to read for a while.

[quote="puzzleannie, post:3, topic:246515"]
if she is an adult and it is her house and TV she can watch what she watches. you can comment, but you cannot tell her what to do. You can say, mom watching this garbage is like a punch in the gut for me, so I am going to my room to read for a while.

[/quote]

I already thought of that, and that's not my problem. I read that sinful TV and movies aren't good for a person's spiritual growth, and I was wondering if there was anything I could do.

I think most programs - 99% - have a suggestive slant or violence, etc. I am not a big fan of TV and there are only a couple programs I watch (now off for the summer). Actually, this time of year, days or weeks go by without the TV being on. One can't live in a bubble and your Mom has the right to watch what she wants and it is her home. My favorite shows are the old comedy reruns - Andy Griffith, I Love Lucy, Mary Tyler Moore, the Waltons. I am certain you can find some programs to watch that are mutually acceptable.

[quote="puzzleannie, post:3, topic:246515"]

[/quote]

This is what I would do. I just would make myself scarce during that time and if it was asked of me why I didn't come out or if I would like to watch with her I would say, "No thanks, I don't care for that show."

[quote="mathematoons, post:4, topic:246515"]
I already thought of that, and that's not my problem. I read that sinful TV and movies aren't good for a person's spiritual growth, and I was wondering if there was anything I could do.

[/quote]

Are you worried about your spiritual growth or hers?

If you are talking about yours, removing yourself from the room and doing something more edifying will take care of that.

If you are talking about HERS, then you need to only voice your opinion when asked, and do so charitably, but other than that- you can pray for her and be a good example. That's about it.

Hi Sug,

I have a problem with shows on TV too. When I visited my Mother's house, she would watch whatever and it would unhinge me from the inside. My Mom would not listen to me anyway about the nature of the show, so I never said anything...just politely said I had to leave and then I would run to my car so whatever temptation was there from the show, would not jump on me.;) Like I do with food. I eat then jump up quickly before the fat content and calories jump on me. Just kidding.

Someone said to pray for her and I think that is best.

Love ya'll,
Sheila

[quote="mathematoons, post:1, topic:246515"]
What do you think?

[/quote]

I think it is her house, and she can do what she wants.

You've stated your concern; now let it go.

Same opinion as some others, it is her house and she is an adult and only she can decide what is sinful and not sinful for her to watch. The only thing you can do is remove yourself from the situation. But people, even Catholics, have differing opinions about what constitutes a "sinful" program, best to not continue to force the issue with your mom.

[quote="Catholic90, post:9, topic:246515"]
I think it is her house, and she can do what she wants.

You've stated your concern; now let it go.

[/quote]

Brief, effective, and right to the point.

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.