Sing of the Lord's Goodness

We have used Sing of the Lord’s Goodness as an Entrance Hymn.
It tells of the splendor of the living God.
It is a beautiful song of praise.

Have you used the hymn Sing of the Lord's Goodness at your church?     

:harp::harp::harp:

It is a lovely hymn. It has been years since I heard it last at church. I sang it once for our chamber choir.

It used to be a childhood favorite of mine. I still like it now; however, there are other “praise” hymns I would choose before it.

No, but I’d like to… :)!

I’ve more frequently heard it as an exit hymn. We don’t use it that often any more but it does turn up occasionally.

That’s how we use it. Exiting.

But we use it pretty frequently. Enough that I know most of the words by heart.

For those of you who don’t know the hymn:

Sing of the Lord’s goodness, Father of all wisdom,
come to him and bless his name. Mercy he has shown us,
his love is forever, faithful to the end of days.

Refrain: Come, then, all you nations, sing of your Lord’s goodness, melodies
of praise and thanks to God. Ring out the Lord’s glory, praise him with
your music, worship him and bless his name.

Power he has wielded, honor is his garment,
risen from the snares of death. His word he was spoken,
one bread he has broken, new life he now gives to all. ®

Courage in our darkness, comfort in our sorrow,
Spirit of our God most high; solace for the weary,
pardon for the sinner, splendor of the living God. ®

Praise him with your singing, praise him with the trumpet,
praise God with the lute and harp; praise him with the cymbals,
praise him with your dancing, praise God till the end of days. ®

This hymn is widely known for its celebratory 5/4 time measure.

Is this the one that has the “jazzy” Dave Brubeck 5/4 time thing going on? That our church just changes to 6/4?
Groovy times - - a la 1962 or so!

Yes - the first time I ever sang it, I noticed it was in 5/4 time. This is extremely uncommon. (Bear with me, I’m bringing in my music theory knowledge for a minute.) Most music is written in simple or compound time. “Simple” is anything with a 2, 3, or 4 rhythm. A 2 rhythm (duple meter) is a march: ONE, two, ONE, two. A 3 rhythm (triple meter) is a dance: ONE, two, three, ONE, two, three. A 4 rhythm (quadruple meter) goes, ONE, two, THree (medium strength), four.

“Compound” time uses pulses of 3 beats, rather than a simple beat count. Anything 6 or 9 rhythm is compound time. A 6 rhythm (duple compound) goes: ONE, TWO, THREE, four, five, six. Two pulses of 3 notes each. A 9 rhythm is triple compound: ONE, TWO, THREE, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine. Three pulses of 3 notes each.

“Sing of the Lord’s Goodness” uses hybrid time. It’s a combination of simple and compound time. You have one pulse (beats 1-3) and then two single beats (beats 4 and 5). Consequently it can be a little hard to figure out the rhythm at first, so it may be a hymn you need to do for a few weeks before people kind of figure out how it’s supposed to be sung.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.