Singing During Mass

The parish I attend has a deacon in charge of the music. Once in a great while we get to sing a traditional hymn. Usually, it is some modern one no one knows and no one joins in. The cantor is up there by her/himself singing.

We sing everything. We chant the Lord’s Prayer.

Am I alone in not liking this? Protestants sing. But they sing hymns like “Amazing Grace” that you feel.

As an example, on Jan. 1, the cantor who had a beautiful voice sang “Ave Maria” during the Offertory. I was sitting there feeling really connected through the music for a change. The priest finished before the cantor and we all stood up in the middle of the second verse. Everyone looked confused.

So not only do I not like the hymns, I don’t even get to enjoy the ones I do.

I just wondered if this is a common experience. I’ve talked to my mother about it and she feels the same way I do. When I go into Mass, I always ask “Are we singing everything?” and whoever I asks laughs. One lady told me I was really a Baptist. :slight_smile:

I don’t know if you are alone because I love the music and thankfully our current priest does though we did have one priest who openly admittedly that he didn’t have any time for music - anglicans.

Do you have a Said Service you can go to on a Sunday therefore fulfill your duty by going on a Sunday but avoid the music. Many of our churches offer BCP - Book of Common Prayer services or some other form of what we call Low Mass, ie Said without the bells and smoke and candles which also don’t have music there. Do Catholics have such option open to them?

Ask your priest because if there are enough of you in the congregation then he may if he has time on the Sunday put a Low Mass on for you people who really detest the music that much it detracts from the worship.:thumbsup:

[quote="GoneAstray, post:1, topic:310603"]
The parish I attend has a deacon in charge of the music. Once in a great while we get to sing a traditional hymn. Usually, it is some modern one no one knows and no one joins in. The cantor is up there by her/himself singing.

We sing everything. We chant the Lord's Prayer.

Am I alone in not liking this? Protestants sing. But they sing hymns like "Amazing Grace" that you feel.

As an example, on Jan. 1, the cantor who had a beautiful voice sang "Ave Maria" during the Offertory. I was sitting there feeling really connected through the music for a change. The priest finished before the cantor and we all stood up in the middle of the second verse. Everyone looked confused.

So not only do I not like the hymns, I don't even get to enjoy the ones I do.

I just wondered if this is a common experience. I've talked to my mother about it and she feels the same way I do. When I go into Mass, I always ask "Are we singing everything?" and whoever I asks laughs. One lady told me I was really a Baptist. :)

[/quote]

Is the cantor singing 'modern' or is the cantor singing the Entrance & Communion antiphons which are the preferred things to sing -- regardless of how used we've become to the 4-hymn sandwich?

As for the Offertory hymn, it's supposed to end by the lavabo, when the priest washes his hands. Mass is not at the service of the music, music is at the service of the Mass and matches the action, not vice versa. Perhaps Ave Maria would have been a better choice as the Entrance Chant or Recessional.

When you say you sing everything, does that mean that the priest is also singing his parts and that you are singing the dialogue (The Lord be with you. And with your spirit.)?

[quote="GoneAstray, post:1, topic:310603"]

We sing everything. We chant the Lord's Prayer.

Am I alone in not liking this? Protestants sing. But they sing hymns like "Amazing Grace" that you feel.

As an example, on Jan. 1, the cantor who had a beautiful voice sang "Ave Maria" during the Offertory. I was sitting there feeling really connected through the music for a change. The priest finished before the cantor and we all stood up in the middle of the second verse. Everyone looked confused.

So not only do I not like the hymns, I don't even get to enjoy the ones I do.

I just wondered if this is a common experience. I've talked to my mother about it and she feels the same way I do. When I go into Mass, I always ask "Are we singing everything?" and whoever I asks laughs. One lady told me I was really a Baptist. :)

[/quote]

I have experenced this too. There is a traditional parish me near me where everything is properly chanted by the priest and the propers are sung chorally at the one mass when the choir attends. At the others masses, everything is still chanted by the priest and congregation but the hymn choices are dire modern Catholic songs when, in my opinion traditional hymnody (regardless of denomination but which has been approved by the Catholic Bishops) would actually suit this particular mass much better.

No, you're not alone. I think different people have different expectations for the music in the liturgy. Some people prefer to just listen to the music as their way of entering into prayer. Some people prefer to join in.

Personally, I have never really experienced music in the liturgy as I would prefer. I like to join in the singing rather than just listening and I also like the more traditional hymns that actually contain theological significance. But I just try to offer it up because I know it's not all about my preferences and because I know I couldn't do a better job myself if I were in charge.

Methinks you need the propers.

It’s not a high mass so we don’t sing everything. That was a bit of hyperbole. We have an entrance hymn, usually a new one. Sometimes we sing the kyrie; sometimes, we don’t. Then the Gloria which is also modern but I do like that one. A hymn during the Offertory. Then we sing something after the Consecration. It’s different from week to week. The Great Amen. We chant the Our Father. Communion Hymn. Recessional. I think I haven’t missed anything. Oh, I did. The Psalm during the readings. The Cantor sings the verses and we sing a response.

I have no choice where I live but to go to this church. It literally is the only one.

I’ve enjoyed other people’s insights. While I might prefer less music and more traditional hymns, I guess it isn’t just about me. Because on any weekend, there are only three Masses and with winter weather and colds, I’m glad I can go when I can make it. So I will just get a new attitude.

I’m not singing though. I really don’t want to torture everyone around me. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.