Single Americans now more than half of U.S. population

http://www.trbimg.com/img-541065f9/turbine/chi-single-americans-population-20140910-002/750/200x112

*Single Americans make up more than half of the adult population for the first time since the government began compiling such statistics in 1976.

Some 124.6 million Americans were single in August, 50.2 percent of those who were 16 years or older, according to data used by the Bureau of Labor Statistics in its monthly job-market report. …

The percentage of adult Americans who have never married has risen to 30.4 percent from 22.1 percent in 1976, while the proportion that are divorced, separated or widowed increased to 19.8 percent from 15.3 percent, according to the economist.*Chicago Tribune

So?

Come on now, no need to be rude.

I think it’s an interesting statistic.

Does anyone know what the replacement rate/fertility rate of resident citizens in the US is? I am sure it is quite low, Western states have been showing this trend lately but it is likely masked in the US by high immigration rates.

You hit the nail on the head. Supposedly it’s around 2.2, but without immigration, it’s around 1.85. I think those numbers are from 2011.

How are statistics ever recorded accurately? Statistics are only based on the people who actually bothered filling in applications or documentation that asked whether people are single or married and intrusive info. like that. What about the other half of U.S citizens? Unless they based the statistics on marriage certificates? Can they do that? And what is the new single - living together! Together yet single theoretically (very comfortable, very liberal).

It just reminds me of a trajectory toward Brave New World. Sleep around. Don’t marry. If cloning gets off the ground it will go even faster.

Being single =/= sleeping around.

I haven’t read that book but looked it up. It seems to be a duplicate world. Are we heading towards a New World DisOrder.

It is not that big in the U.K but I am led to believe that in the U.S the popular liberal trend is ‘dating’. Why don’t they just replace the D with an M and then at least professional singles can jump on the ’ it’s natural’ bandwagon and not completely insult our intelligence!

Being single =/= being promiscuous.

Being single =/= untamed carnivores.

No one said that. But one of the statistical factors not mentioned here is the increase in cohabitation that would contribute to the rise in more singles vs. married. That’s just a statistical correlation and it does not take excessive analysis to tie that in to the encouragement of society toward promiscuity, “test marriages,” “uncoupling,” or other recent phenomenon. So do not take this analysis as assuming single people = promiscuous. No one said that blanketly. Hopefully, the virginal single people are the ones who are so because they believe marriage is the proper place for sexual expression between genders and thus are not part of the problem but are the opponent of those who seek to corrode the culture with promiscuity.

I think he was joking! Maybe culture is not necessarily promoting depravity but it does lean more and more against sanctity of life, so in this way, society does kind of promote a free-for-all mind-state maybe without realising. Dating for example, to me, seems to imitate picking and choosing products on a shelf. Catholic dating for example. I don’t get it. People are meant to meet each other in real life and explore as friends and if God sparks a light of love then that is His will not ours. As opposed to going around with a CV. Look at the world: abortion on the scale of mass genocide, euthanasia - all results of a lack of appreciation for the dignity of human life. Single life in Christianity may well be as a life choice for God but I think it is unlikely for a huge percentage of the majority. It is because people don’t commit to love. Love is a momentary life choice not a life-commitment.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.