Single and a Christ Follower

Hey guys!!

Just wanted to create a thread that offers people that are called to the single life to discuss the particulars of that vocation!!

Did not know where else to put it, so I thought this would be a good place!!

Take care guys!!

Greetings, fellow Christ followers!!

Anyone else on here that abides by the admonition of St. Paul in 1 Cor. Ch. 7?

Let’s hear it!!

There’re several admonitions in that chapter. What exactly are you wanting to discuss? (I don’t see singleness as a “vocation,” for what it’s worth.)

I, too, dont see it as a vocation. Some theologians do, others do not. I don’t believe that the Church has made any definitive statement on it.

But it is certainly worthy of discussion. :slight_smile:

You would also have to define what being “single” means.

Accidentally single by not being successful in dating and then trying to make the most of it, or single through choice.

I have a family member who is gay and lived the lifestyle. Now he is middle aged and has come back to the church. As he read Paul, he understood marriage to be between a man and woman and sex outside of that is forbidden. He has since decided to live the rest of his life in celibacy to reconcile with the word of God. He amazes me!!!

If we are to take Christ at His word, than your relative is the cause of a lot of rejoicing in heaven due to his repentance. My spiritual director tells me again and again is that the key to following Christ is to submit to God’s will for the present moment and take it one day at a time. I think this is good advice for everyone no matter their state in life.

Yes… And taking up your cross with Christ:thumbsup:

This may be what he’s alluding to:

1 Corinthians 7:32-35

32 I would like you to be free from concern. An unmarried man is concerned about the Lord’s affairs—how he can please the Lord. 33 But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world—how he can please his wife— 34 and his interests are divided. An unmarried woman or virgin is concerned about the Lord’s affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit. But a married woman is concerned about the affairs of this world—how she can please her husband. 35 I am saying this for your own good, not to restrict you, but that you may live in a right way in undivided devotion to the Lord.

I never wanted to live my life as a single person but as time went on I realized that, as Paul, being single was a gift in that I can be open to spend more time on Him. It may not be an “official” vocation but I believe that is one, though.

Great thread!

PT, I read a blog by a guy who is gay and married because he was a Christian. His wife was aware of it all and they had a few kids. I can’t find the blog now - I had sent the link to my sister who has a daughter who is an active lesbian.

As I searched, though, I came across this lady who has chosen celibacy rather than living a lifestyle that God doesn’t desire. Here is the link to her information:

religionnews.com/2014/08/04/gay-christian-celibate-changing-face-homosexuality-debate/

I’m going to keep looking for that other guy and hope to find it.

Blessings!

Rita

I would teach that a Christian life is a vocation – whether one is a clergy, religious, married or single.

In our group, we have people who are single for the Lord, both men and women who are not necessarily priests or religious. These are people who consecrate their lives to the Lord without being married. They are single by choice, not as leftovers or on a rebound.

I was just back from a cell group meeting. In sharing our reflections on this coming Sunday readings (Acts 4:8-12) and today too (Acts 7) , about Peter’s declaration of the ultimate name of Jesus in salvation and the martyrdom of St. Stephen, it was dawned on many of us that these very ordinary saints were filled with the Holy Spirit that enable them to be changed radically to give their lives for God.

Like the apostles, as Christians we all are called to put God above everything else and therefore our lives really have to be vocations regardless of the state of our marital status. Sometimes the world has preached to us much that we forget our true calling in the Lord.

You only have my admiration for choosing the Lord above all else.

God bless you.

Reuben

Hey guys!!

Thank you all for adding to the discussion!!

When I mentioned 1 Cor. Ch. 7, I was referring to the entirety of the chapter.

I have always viewed being single as well as being married as callings or vocations in life. I think there are advantages to both lifestyles. I have noticed Jesus gives graces to individuals that are called to live in a marital union with someone or live the single life.

For me, the single life is the way to go, but not everyone would agree with that!!

Take Care, folks and catch you on the forums!!

Steve Timm.

Amen Reuben J!!

Your comment is exactly the way I feel about marriage!!

We are definitely called to live out our call and vocations in life regardless of our married state. In fact, I think marriage, kids, sex etc. can be an incredible distraction when one is trying to serve the Lord!!

Actually more than you’d think would agree with that these days:)

That is true Ptisme!!

These days especially!! In today’s world, marriage and kids is a HUGE risk!! It is an especially bad deal for men to get married in these times, especially since the advent of feminism.

True only if you(and your choice of mate) don’t have yourself equipped with the armor of GOD!!!:smiley:

Thank you for his story. It brought me to tears. :crying: What a wonderful example of the prodigal son returning home. I often think about and pray for our gay Catholic community and their struggle.

Excellent!! I would like to have a spiritual director like yours!!

:thumbsup:

In Christ’s love,

Rita

Amen to the Amen, ptisme!!!

That is the real reason marriages and relationships fail, in my opinion. It is true when the say marriages do not fail. It is people who fail. There was a Bible study about marriage done at my Church recently and it was called “Marriage takes three” meaning, husband, wife and Jesus. If people put Jesus first in their marriages, then you would have an incredibly powerful force!!

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.