Sinners prayer in catholic life

Hi, I was wondering is their anything similar to the “sinners prayer” in the catholic life and teachings?

something along the lines of putting faith in Jesus as lord and savior and asking him/god to forgive your sins by his death on the cross and most important, come into your heart as lord.

thanks

Psalm 51 comes to mind. The Jesus prayer is ancient and to the point…

***Lord Jesus Christ,
Son of the Living God
Have mercy on me
A sinner. ***

I’m sure there are hundreds of examples but Catholics are likely to have a fuller Eucharistic expression of Jesus coming into our hearts. There really isn’t anything theologically wrong with most versions of the sinner’s prayer I have heard.

-Tim-

Thanks for response love the psalm. Question, what was meant when you said

“Catholics are likely to have a fuller Eucharistic expression of Jesus coming into our hearts”

thanks.

At every Mass the congregation makes this ancient prayer (canned the Confiteor)

I confess to almighty God
and to you, my brothers and sisters,
that I have greatly sinned,
in my thoughts and in my words,
in what I have done and in what I have failed to do,
through my fault, through my fault,
through my most grievous fault;
therefore I ask blessed Mary, ever-Virgin,
all the Angels and Saints,
and you, my brothers and sisters,
to pray for me to the Lord our God

Because we recite this at every Mass, many Catholics will know it by heart. The Confiteor is a plea for prayer.

Hmm, the Chaplet of Divine Mercy asks for mercy “For the sake of His sorrowful passion… .”

For Catholics, we pray a “sinners prayer” every time we ask Jesus to remain in our hearts and to bring us into conformity with His Will.

But Catholics do not believe in simply praying and receiving Jesus, because Jesus did not teach this.

Angelic Trisagion

This devotion to the Blessed Trinity is the official prayer of the Order of the Blessed Trinity, otherwise known as the Trinitarians.
The devotion has been recited by them and their affiliates for centuries in praise of the Trinity.

In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

V. Lord, open my lips.
R. And my mouth shall declare Thy praise.
V. O God, come to my assistance.
R. O Lord, make haste to help me.
V. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
R. As it was in the beginning, is now and will be forever. Amen.

The decade below is recited three times, once for each member of the Trinity.

All: Holy God! Holy Strong One! Holy Immortal One, have mercy upon us.

V. Our Father, Who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

The following part of the decade is repeated nine times

V. To Thee, O Blessed Trinity, be praise, and honor, and thanksgiving, for ever and ever!
R. Holy, holy, holy Lord, God of hosts. Heaven and earth are filled with Thy glory.
V. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
R. As it was in the beginning, is now and will be forever. Amen.

End of Decade

Antiphon

God the Father unbegotten, only-begotten Son, and Holy Spirit, the Comforter; holy and undivided Trinity, with all our hearts we acknowledge Thee: Glory to Thee forever.
V. Let us bless the Father, and the Son with the Holy Spirit.
R. Be praised and exalted above all things forever.

Let us pray,
Almighty, ever-living God, who has permitted us Thy servants, in our profession of the true faith, to acknowledge the glory of the eternal Trinity, and in the power of that majesty to adore the Unity, grant, that by steadfastness in this same faith, we may be ever guarded against all adversity: through Christ our Lord.

All: Amen

All: Set us free, save us, vivify us, O Blessed Trinity!

This!

You can’t go wrong with the Confiteor. The traditional version is even richer and includes St Michael, John the Baptist, and the holy apostles Peter and Paul.

Wouldn’t it be The Apostles Creed?

I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven and earth;
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son Our Lord,
Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried.
He descended into Hell; the third day He rose again from the dead;
He ascended into Heaven, and sitteth at the right hand of God, the Father almighty; from thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body and life everlasting.
Amen.

:thumbsup:

To me this would not count, because really you admit sin, that is good but than simply ask saints to pray for you. It is simply asking others to pray for you. But thanks and interesting.

when do you ask jesus to remain in your hearts?

question, you don’t receive jesus in your heart by a prayer? how do you do so? and the way you do so does it involve personal prayer at all?.

thanks, but this seems theology not so much personal.

The Jesus prayer, “Jesus Christ, son of God Savior have mercy on me a sinner”. Interestingly the first letters in Greek are a common acrostic ΙΧθγΣ for fish.

Ιησούς
Χριστός
θεός
γιός
Σωτήρας

I find it pretty appalling that you would say our prayer of repentance “doesn’t count” simply because we include in it a petition for the Body of Christ (including saints) to pray for us. In addition to our statements of repentance (the confiteor, Lord have Mercy and our Sacrament of Reconciliation) and statement of faith (the Creed which is a public profession of faith, not “theology”) we do ask the Lord to come to us in a way that simply dwarfs any personal prayer-- Catholic or protestant. One could spend years in personal prayer and never encounter the Lord as profoundly as when Catholics receive Him in the Eucharist. It is in the liturgy of the Eucharist is where we come ask Jesus to come be the Lord of our lives. We believe we receive Him as He intended–His Real Presence as real food and as real drink (Jn 6:53-55). The priest says “This is the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. Happy are those who are called to his supper.” Then all respond (with humility) “Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and I shall be healed.” For Scriptural references that will help you understand the Catholic liturgy, you can click here

My understanding is that the sinner’s prayer is a prayer of repentance generally said during an initial conversion experience, like an “alter call”. Catholics don’t believe in a one time profession of faith and then after that we are “saved”. We recognize that we are sinners in need of repentance and forgiveness in Jesus at every Mass. We believe that we receive initial grace of salvation at our baptism, but then are continually sanctified by the Holy Spirit through faith throughout our lives. So a one time sinner’s prayer, doesn’t really work for us liturgically. That being said, I say something like a sinner’s prayer daily and I think a lot of posters here do the same.

No prayer can match the outpouring of love from Jesus to us and vice versa than when we are communion with Him in the Eucharistic meal. To receive Him is intensely “personal”. However, you’ve confirmed for me (by your remarks about our prayers basically not being personal enough) that protestants seem to have a “it’s all about me and Jesus” attitude. Catholics believe “it’s all about we and Jesus”. We don’t approach the table of God by ourselves. We are community, one body, and one Spirit, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all. Personal prayer is very important, I would never dream of denying that, but personal prayer is only part of how we encounter Jesus. There is a whole other experience of Jesus that protestants do not have.

I will try harder next time, I promise! :o

Jesus comes into the heart of the believer in a spiritual way and that is certainly true, but Jesus’ presence in the Eucharist is so much more real.

The Eucharist is Jesus, and he comes not only into our heart but into our mouth, stomach and then throughout our body. We are incorporated into his Body through the Eucharist.

For a Catholic it isn’t just spiritual but physical.

-Tim-

Crumbly, have you ever done or heard of spiritual communion?

Act of Spiritual Communion

My Jesus, I believe that You are present in the Most Holy Sacrament. I love You above all things, and I desire to receive You into my soul. Since I cannot at this moment receive You sacramentally, come at least spiritually into my heart. I embrace You as if You were already there and unite myself wholly to You. Never permit me to be separated from You. Amen.

It is a widely accepted practice approved by the Church.

-Tim-

Prayer warrior- It is about a personal relationship with Jesus…when we die and come face to face with HIM no one else can account for your actions in life.
Also I think personal prayer comes from the heart…I can recite the same prayer over and over

Prayers before Holy Communion: Act of Hope

Good Jesus, in you alone I place all my hope. You are my salvation and my strength, the Source of all good. Through your mercy, through your Passion and Death, I hope to obtain the pardon of my sins, the grace of final perseverance and a happy eternity.

As you know already, we don’t use a sinner’s prayer in the way that you do. Having said that though we do have similar prayers to the sinner’s prayer as the other posters have posted… another example would be from Luke 18 ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner’, and we have the ‘Anima Christi’ prayer which comes pretty close to what you’re asking for, I think.

The Jesus prayer, “Jesus Christ, son of God Savior have mercy on me a sinner”. Interestingly the first letters in Greek are a common acrostic ΙΧθΥΣ for fish.

Ιησούς
Χριστός
Θεού
Υιού
Σωτήρας

This is as ancient as The Church

Well, there’s always the Fatima prayer that some people like to add to the rosary:
O My Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of Hell and lead all souls to Heaven, especially those who are in most need of Thy mercy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.