Sinner's prayer

Can a catholic lead a none catholic to the lord with the sinner’s prayer? :slight_smile:

What is the sinner’s prayer?

it is the prayer/formula protestants use for people to be “saved”

it goes along the lines of “Jesus I admit/confess that I have sinned and am a sinner. Jesus please come into my heart and save me from my sins and become my Lord and Savior.”

there are quite a few variations. I grew up protestant and most churches will say this at the end of every service in order to get people saved.

in answer to the OP yes I would say you could lead a non Catholic to the Lord with this prayer as long as you let them no that they aren’t saved because of this prayer. I think it is a great way to instill the seed of faith and desire for the Lord since there is nothing doctrinally wrong with the prayer.

A “sinner’s prayer” is one way for a person who has come to faith in Christ to express that. Note that not everyone has a sudden dramatic conversion experience. For some it is a slow process that leads to realizing Christ as one’s Saviour.

In other words, it’s another pop-evangelical tradition and precept of men.

I would recommend the prayer of the Publican and the ever-relevant “Lord I believe; help my unbelief”.

No, it’s an expression of faith in Christ. Praying a prayer dosen’t justify a person, faith does.

I don’t see why not. Unless there are several “sinners’ prayers”, & I’m thinking of the wrong one.

=coop13;5666015]it is the prayer/formula protestants use for people to be “saved”

it goes along the lines of “Jesus I admit/confess that I have sinned and am a sinner. Jesus please come into my heart and save me from my sins and become my Lord and Savior.”

there are quite a few variations. I grew up protestant and most churches will say this at the end of every service in order to get people saved.

Some Protestants. Like altar calls and such, it isn’t a practice in Lutheranism, and probably not in numerous others.

in answer to the OP yes I would say you could lead a non Catholic to the Lord with this prayer as long as you let them no that they aren’t saved because of this prayer. I think it is a great way to instill the seed of faith and desire for the Lord since there is nothing doctrinally wrong with the prayer.

Agreed,
Jon

your right. sorry shouldn’t have generalized so much

No need to apologize. I was just clarifying.

Jon

I think that the problem with the sinners prayer is that presumably after saying it, the person is now “saved”. That goes against Church teaching…

there’s nothing wrong with asking Jesus to lead us into a deeper relationship with Him :slight_smile:
as a Catholic, you can lead a person in this prayer. But make sure there’s nothing about “instant salvation”… maybe it would help if you also explain salvation to them, and how it happens :slight_smile:

God bless

Then, according to Baptist doctrine, the prayer isn’t necessary. So you’re agreeing with me: it’s a tradition and precept of men.

So why do it?

Yes, I am agreeing with you. The reason why it is sometimes done is so someone can express his or her faith. No one has to.

I recall Left Behind came close to addressing it. Saying the character of Cameron “Buck” Williams didn’t pray in the words he’d heard so often. But they never tell what words he said.

So if not that prayer what must a man do to be saved? (According to Protestantism).

ohhhhh,i see,thank you very much.:slight_smile:

I’ve heard a lot of Evangelical Protestants of more than a few denominations say or strongly suggest that salvation happens when a person completes saying the prayer, not before, not after, and the only way it can be insufficient is if it’s insincere. I once believed that myself. Even though it wasn’t exactly my own history. That left me doubting I had done it right.:blush:

Left Behind isn’t a good source with their goofy Rapture theology.

To be saved, a person must place their faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

hi paul,

paul…I want to agree with you but first let me ask you what does place your faith in Jesus Christ mean to you?

thank you …God bless

mpjw

hi all before I answer to OP, may I encourage all not to use judgement calls about something you do not understand and just want to label it like…

it’s another pop-evangelical tradition and precept of men

which the prayer is not.

Like most things in life something can be looked at in a good way to one group and bad to the other group.

The sinners prayer can be a useful to to bring someone to the Lord to save them.
Having said that,*** the sinners prayer is not a prayer to be said that will guarantee a person’s salvation***, usually connected with OSAS which I totally disagree with.

Let me give you an illustration what I am talking about.

Say I am a non believer…I never came to believe the Gospel or Jesus when they tried to witness to me.

at this point if I were to die God would not save me due to the fact I rejected jesus and the gospel, agree?

one day at camp I got curious and decided to read one of my friends’ bible

from reading the bible, I started reading about who my friends were telling me about…Jesus Christ.

When I inquired of them to explain what they wanted to share with me, they shared the Gospel message and how Jesus was the only way of salvation. His blood forgives my sins when I repent and confess to Him my sin.

I ask how do I do that?

My friends ask me to say a prayer sincerely from my heart to God and advises me it is not the prayer which saves me…it is God who saves a sincere remorseful repentant heart

the prayer goes something like this…

**"Heavenly Father, have mercy on me, a sinner.
I believe in you and that your word is true.
I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of the living God
and that he died on the cross so that I may now have
forgiveness for my sins and eternal life.
I know that without you in my heart my life is meaningless.
I believe in my heart that you, Lord God, raised Him from the dead.
Please Jesus forgive me, for every sin I have ever committed or done in my heart,
please Lord Jesus forgive me and come into my heart as my personal Lord and Savior today. I need you to be my Father and my friend.

I place my trust in you and give you my life and
ask you to take full control from this moment on;
I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ."

Amen.**

now if I were to die my soul would be clean and God would save me.

However my friends advise me that tomorrow is a new day.
that I will be tempted to sin and probably fall to sin again and again.

they advice me that I need to be in a state of grace to be accepted into heaven.
in order to stay in grace I would need to go to church, and follow the teachings of God’s word and that daily confession will become a new change of life for me because I am now walking with Jesus.

I hope that helps

God bless

Mike

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.