Sin's of forefathers

In some retreat centre’s Teaches that the sin’s of our forefathers if no proper penance has been made will affect the family.Sin.s will pass one generation to another so penance has to be made by the presnt generation to avoid tragedies But some centre;s teaches that tragedies and disaster’s occur once’s life not because the sin’s of our forefather’s but to reveal GOD’s glory
which is the correct teaching

There is “social sin”. Take abortion. It is socially accepted and very very evil. There can never be enough penance/fasting/praying/talking/protesting til it is gone completely.

Do you think they were referring to how sin has a social impact on us? Sin is not just personal, it affects everyone.
And, we live in a fallen world and sin and evil will be with us for now. It is something we fight, NOW.

Was this a catholic retreat?

josethelakkey, what you are saying is not Christianity but the Hindu and Buddhist doctrine of Karma.

Ezekiel 18
The Soul Who Sins Will Die
1 The word of the LORD came to me: 2 “What do you people mean by quoting this proverb about the land of Israel:
” ‘The fathers eat sour grapes,
and the children’s teeth are set on edge’?

3 "As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, you will no longer quote this proverb in Israel. 4 For every living soul belongs to me, the father as well as the son—both alike belong to me. The soul who sins is the one who will die.

The same thing is said in Jeremiah 31.

I’ve pondered this for a long time, as my father was an abusive alcoholic and his father was a bigamist and I have certainly seen how this has affected me. There are several OT passages where the Holy One says (paraphrased) “For I the Lord your God am a jealous god, who visits the sins of the fathers on the children to the fourth generation.”

It seems to me that this is not so much the Lord God sitting as a magistrate on a judge’s bench and juridicially imposed a sentence on someone, ie., “Right then, you’re going to hell and so are your children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren.” Rather, it seems to me that God is saying, “In reason, if you shake off My Hand and take another path, it will destroy you. Not only will it destroy you, but it will be like a stone that is dropped into a pool. As the stone strikes the water, waves radiate out from it and it is some time before the water is still again. Your sin will affect your children and your grandchildren and your great-grandchildren.”

Or am I simply reading into it something else?

Is it not the belief of the Church that we are held responsible for our own actions? How is it that I can be blamed and punished for something a father or grandfather may have done 50 years before I was born? We are all born into original sin (which is washed away in baptism) but not into anyone’s personal sin. We don’t start confession with “bless me father, for my father sinned.”

**SIN IS AN IMMORAL BEHAVIOR and, as such, can be learned and passed from one generation to the next. It is not genetic! It is up to those who receive the grace of insight from the Lord to make the necessary reconciliation. In a larger context, the family that prays together stays together.

We don’t know about tragedies and disasters - but the teaching is true: these occur not because of sins of our forefathers but so that the glory of the Lord is revealed. How is it revealed? Through our response to our brothers and sisters who have been affected by these. In other words, the glory of God comes through us and our charity and love.**

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.