Sins Of Omission

Please could someone inform me as to whether these situations could be sins of omission.
Seeing an item that someone must of dropped or lost and just walking past, but without realizing that doing nothing could be a sin.

When someone asks you a question and you don’t want to tell them the answer just remaining silent not saying anything.

Any answers would be appreciated.

God Bless

FAH

Hey again FAH!

For the first one not a sin. Unless maybe they dropped it right in front of you and you didn’t tell them out of malice.

For the second one not a sin. Unless you are maliciously remaining silent just to be rude. But if you are doing it to avoid saying something uncharitable or to avoid lying, then not a sin, arguably a holy thing to do.

Hope that helps!

Thank you smichhertz and for your post on the other thread as well. Those words of the Cure of Ars are very wise and true.

God Bless

FAH

Neither of these are sins.

The fact that you are asking if such innocuous things are sins suggests you might tend towards scrupulosity. I suggest that if you have these types of thoughts often you share them with your priest and follow his counsel.

I could be wrong, but I think that both could be sins. Why do I say this. Firstly there is the recognition that you want reassurance that they are not sins, which to me states the old adage that , “If you have to ask, then there is something here that is not right.”

Sometimes, when going into the store I will see a lot of trash in the parking lot that is large and obvious, like whole McDonald’s bags of spent food trash or entire cardboard boxes and papers of trash. Sometimes I pick up this trash and deposit it into the trash can outside the grocery store. Other times I just walk on by because I don’t feel like picking up other lazy peoples garbage. But when I walk on by something tugs at my heart and as soon as I take a few steps my heart sinks and I feel sad that I did not have the strength to pick up the trash. Then I immediately tell myself those reinforcing lines of rejection, “Its not my trash”, or “I just don’t have time right now”. But that’s not the truth. The truth is that I just didn’t feel like being burdened by other peoples trash. When I say it like this it is obvious that when I avoid “Doing what is right” then I am doing what is wrong. Is it a sin? In my opinion yes. Just as it is a sin for everyone who simply walks on by when they know something is wrong and they can do something to fix it. The fact that it is only a piece of trash instead of a person in need of true help is beside the point. We cannot judge what is right and wrong by degrees of severity. The sins are complete and not bad for some and not bad for others. It is a sin for anyone to steal, no matter how small the value of the item is. Stealing a pen from work is the same as taking a million dollars.

Why is this the case? It is because the sin that is happening is internal to you, not external in what the items are that surround you. You would be taking something that does not belong to you and you would be making the choice to do this despite the fact that it is wrong. The amount or value of what was taken is not the essence of the wrong, for sometimes someone may take something of great material value just to deprive someone else of the object, thus the value of the object in dollars was less of a matter than its sheer loss. Other times people may take something of very little material value, but that holds great sentimental value to the person who it was taken from, like a shell or old picture. This is why none of the commandments relate to material value, but only the deed itself as being wrong.

If what you have done prompts you to say, “Is it wrong” than many times one says this because they want to say, “It was not my responsibility”, “I didn’t do it”. And so, prompts the question, “Am I my brothers keeper?”, in which the answer was, “Yes, we are our brothers keepers”. Remember that Christ suffered for our sins, not his own, and it is we who must do as he did and suffer for others as well as ourselves. We are to be perfect, as our heavenly father is perfect, and not settle for only halfway or excuses as to why we can or should go no further.

What “is not right” is the OP’s state of mind. Based on his numerous other posts, it is clear he tends towards scrupulosity. He needs help from a priest, not posters here heaping up imaginary sins on him.

“Scrupulosity is a psychological disorder characterized by pathological guilt about moral or religious issues.”

What he does not need, nor anyone here, is armchair want to be Psychologists falsely attempting to diagnose other people with their own problems. You are projecting your psychological problems on others and that is also not only a sin, but against the practice of medicine.

I did not say he had scrupulosity. I said he seems to tend towards scrupulosity. And, the appropriate person to help him is his priest.

I do suffer from scrupulosity.

As well, I agree with 1ke that you should also talk with your priest about what is troubling you.

You are welcome! He’s a great saint.

Oh, how hilarious. I misposted. That should have read I do NOT suffer from scrupulosity.

“[60] And the high priest rising up in the midst, asked Jesus, saying: Answerest thou nothing to the things that are laid to thy charge by these men?
[61] But he held his peace, and answered nothing.”

Mark 14: 60-61

“[8] And Herod, seeing Jesus, was very glad; for he was desirous of a long time to see him, because he had heard many things of him; and he hoped to see some sign wrought by him. [9] And he questioned him in many words. But he answered him nothing.”

Luke 23:8-9,

:wink:

You people want to say that what he is doing is no sin and yet you have no context of the actual situation. Do you not realize why he left out the details? He wants reassurance that what he did was right and does not give the context. So you simply say, no, it was not a sin.

Yes, if someone dropped something and you do not do anything about it then yes, it is a sin, especially since you know that you purposefully did not do anything and are therefore not telling the whole story. Yes, i think what you did is mostly certainly the sin of omission just as you are omitting the details of what happened in asking for advice.

But the posters here do not see your continuance of the sin of omission from your very posting of the question. Instead they ridicule me for stating what I believe.

Yes, failing to speak at times is a sin. Are they asking you if you are a Christian? Then yes, refusing to say is a sin. Deny me before others and I will deny you before my father. but simply listen to the other fools here who will say, no, it is not a sin even though they have no context whatsoever of the situation at hand.

I think it is you and not the OP who has a problem!!

You people want to say that what he is doing is no sin and yet you have no context of the actual situation. Do you not realize why he left out the details? He wants reassurance that what he did was right and does not give the context. So you simply say, no, it was not a sin.

The Long Road, you have no idea what the context of the actual situation was either. So please do not pretend that you can psychoanalyze exactly what was going on in FAH’s mind when he wrote this post.

What he does not need, nor anyone here, is armchair want to be Psychologists falsely attempting to diagnose other people with their own problems.

Despite your best efforts to prove otherwise, I have seen strong evidence from FAH’s posts that he likely tends towards scrupulosity. I suffered from scrupulosity last year, and I recognize in his posts the same kinds of questions I was asking at that time. An honest recognition of this evidence is not a pathetic projection of one’s psychological problems onto another–quite the opposite, in fact.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.