Sins of omission?

So at my youth group meeting, some of the people their were talking badly about someone they knew, and they were mean about it too, one of the people that were involved in that conversation was sitting next to me, were they gossiping? If so, did I have an obligation to speak up and tell them to stop?

The other question I have is this, if you see a piece of trash on the floor, or in the street, do you have to pick it up and throw it away? I was walking out to my car, there was a crushed plastic bottle that I walked by, and I felt bad for not picking it up.

Do I need to go to confession?

Regarding malicious gossip: Yes, it can be a sin of omission not to discourage it. You can give scandal if you appear tolerant of evil. You cannot force people to stop but you can indicate disapproval.

Regarding litter: No, it is not your responsibility. Discern evil where it exists.

johnnyt3000 asks about sin : **"[Some people] were talking badly about someone they knew, … one of the people that were involved in that conversation was sitting next to me,

1. were they gossiping? If so,

2. did I have an obligation to speak up and tell them to stop?"**

3. It might be gossiping … it might NOT be gossiping.
    You were there. Did it sound like Gossip to you?
    I imagine that you have heard juicy Gossip being dispensed at least a couple times in your Life.
    If it seemed like that … then, you probably have your answer.

4. What type of Obligation are you referring to?
    A moral obligation … a social obligation … a religious obligation ?
    Are you trying to ask if speaking up (or NOT speaking up) is a religious obligation?
    Well, anyway, Jesus told us to NOT JUDGE others (for their behaviors). So, if you Judged that person, it would seem to violate that admonition.

"The other question … if you see a piece of trash on the floor, or in the street, do you have to pick it up and throw it away?"
Why do you ask this?
Haven’t you walked past litter 1000s of times in your Life?

Well, if it is a used soda-bottle, it (in most states) has a Redemption Value.
So, theoretically, if you grabbed it, and removed it … a person could accuse you of stealing it.

"Do I need to go to confession?"
If a soda-bottle owner accuses you of stealing his soda-bottle … then YES, I think you should go confess it.

Modern Catholic Dictionary:

OMISSION. Willful neglect or positive refusal to perform some good action that one’s conscience urges one to do. Such omission is morally culpable, and its gravity depends on the importance of what should have been done, on the person’s willfulness, and the circumstances of the situation.

Simple Rule:

1. If gossiping starts, just say: Well X isn’t here to defend himself so can we wait until we hear X’s side of the story? This usually stops the gossips dead in their tracks & no one is offended.

2. You felt bad which indicts remorse. Next time pick up 2 or even 3 bits of litter & you will then feel great.

Omission is the sin we most easily overlook. Because of litigation we always feel *‘don’t get involved’ *but often we need to take a stand even if it might be embarrassing.

what if the person is scrupulous?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.