Sins That Can Not Be Forgiven?

Are there any sins that can not be forgiven?

I’d say at least one, and that sin is suicide. It breaks the commandment “thou shalt not kill” and even though some argue that it is actually from the Hebrew term that says “murder”, it is a form of murder to take one’s own life.

And it is something that is done and cannot be confessed for God’s forgiveness.

But suicide may not be the only sin that can not be forgiven. But I’m curious to know are there other sins that cannot be forgiven?

With the exception of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit (refusal to seek forgiveness), all sins can be forgiven, including suicide. We do not know the true state of mind of the suicidal person and therefore are not fit to judge whether or not he is completely culpable for his actions. Also, even if the suicide was in full possession of his faculties and decided to do it knowing that it was a grave sin, we cannot be sure that God did not grant him one last chance for repentance in the instant between the suicide and physical death.

That being said, I do have my suspicions that Red Sox fans and the guy who decided to make a sitcom out of those Geico Caveman commercials will not be saved…:wink:

**Every **sin can be forgiven.

Final impenitence is the refusal to ask for forgiveness, and certainly that can result in a person dieing in a state of mortal sin.

The Church’s understanding of suicide is:

2280 Everyone is responsible for his life before God who has given it to him. It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life. We are obliged to accept life gratefully and preserve it for his honor and the salvation of our souls. We are stewards, not owners, of the life God has entrusted to us. It is not ours to dispose of.

2281 Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.

2282 If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal. Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.

Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.

2283 We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.

The only sin that cannot be forgiven is the sin of not repenting.

Even suicide can be forgiven, as there are many mentally ill (depression, bipolar disorder, etc.) people whose free will/full knowledge can be severely dimished due to the nature and torment of their condition (and want it to stop).

The only sin that cannot be forgiven is believing that your sin is so great that not even God can forgive it. This is called the sin against the Holy Spirit. If we ask ourselves what is the greatest sin ever committed, we would all say the crucifixion of Jesus on the cross. Yet the first thing he said on the cross was, “Father forgive them, for they know not what they do.”

As to suicide, the story, born out by witnesses, goes that a woman whose son committed suicide by jumping off a bridge went to Padre Pio while Padre Pio was still living and was in a line of people waiting to see him. When Padre Pio walked by her, he stopped and said to her, before she had a chance to say anything to him, “Do not worry about your son, he repented between the bridge and the water.”

This simply shows the extent of God’s mercy for each of us. As is recorded in the diary of St Faustina Kawolska, Jesus said to her, that “I DESIRE MERCY, NOT JUSTICE.” Mercy is for the living, justice is for the dead.
prayers & blessings
Deacon Ed B

**The Church does not consider suicide per se as an unforgiveable sin due to the psychological condition (mental health) of the person who took his or her life. The Church does consider suicide a grave sin when the individual decides to end his or her life just to do so, or when major responsibilities are not faced, leaving it up to those left behind, etc.

The Church considers final impenitence to be the ‘unforgiveable sin’**.

I have struggle with this for almost 20 years or better and am absolutely suprise too learn that Blashmemy against the Holy Spirit is the refusal of seeking forgivenss. I will not go into details, only that it wasn’t an attempt at suicide. If it was not for different expieriences, visions and dreams, I would have by far believe that I was not forgiven…mind you I might not be just because I have had these graces…Believe me, it is beyond my comprehension…anyways, I was wondering where that information came from (the Source: rather be a verse of the bible or Early Church Father writing or writing of a particular Saint), I would be most interested in reading it and studying further. Thanks for any reply/replies…

Speaking from my own lived experience…believing that God may not forgive one’s sins is often an easy crutch to justify the internal guilt one may harbor. There is no sin beyond the mercy of Christ.

St John Vianney famously consoled a woman whose son had committed suicide after receiving knowledge from God that he was in purgatory - ‘fear not, Madame, he repented in between the bridge and the ground’ :getholy:

We must allow, in every case of suicide, for the possibility of the suicide’s repenting ‘in between the bridge and the ground’. :yup:

That being said, I do have my suspicions that Red Sox fans and the guy who decided to make a sitcom out of those Geico Caveman commercials will not be saved…:wink:

…good humor. :slight_smile: I think that people that “sit” at a green light and those that do not cut off their cell phones in Mass will surely be thrust into hell :slight_smile: ROTFL .
Don in Vegas:eek: :rolleyes:

I am surprise that no one listed the verse from the bible-
Mat 12:31 "Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men.
Mat 12:32 "Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

Jesus said that every sin, including the speaking a word against the Son of Man (Jesus), are all forgivable. The only sin that can not be forgiven is the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

This sin is not believing who is Jesus and not believing Him as God. The son who was with God the Father from the beginning.

The Pharisees were calling Jesus miracles as the work from the power of ‘Beelzebub’, which is the devil. (Matt12:24)

The Holy Spirit role is to testify about Jesus (John15:26, John16:14-15), therefore, if no one believe what was testified by the Holy Spirit, then his/her sin will never be forgiven. Because of non belief in who Jesus is or what He came to do, their sin are retained.

Certain points are clear from the foregoing information. Though many people view them as lifesaving, blood transfusions are fraught with risks. Each year thousands die as a result of transfusions; multitudes more get very sick and face long-term consequences. So, even from a physical standpoint, there is wisdom right now in heeding the Biblical command to ‘abstain from blood.’—Acts 15:28, 29.

“Blaspheming against the Holy Spirit” is the only sin, mentioned in the Bible, that cannot be forgiven. Why? Because this is simply the sin of “refusing the mercy of God”.

God respects our free will too much to compromise it. True, we can choose to sin…and consequently disappoint God. But, we can also choose to do good…and bring a smile to His adorable face! He receives much more honor when we ‘choose’ to love and obey Him – hence, our free will.

When we choose to refuse God’s mercy – His forgiveness – He has no other course of action than to allow us to do so; He respects our free will THAT MUCH.

We often hear the term “God damn it!” or “God damn you!”…or the like. God does not damn anyone. People damn themselves by refusing His merciful love and forgiveness. All people who are in hell are not there because God damned them…they are there because they refused His mercy (which, if received, would have kept them from ending up in such an awful place for all eternity!)

When a person commits suicide, for example, objectively we might suppose that that person would go to hell. But only God knows how He might have touched that person’s heart at (or shortly after) that person’s moment of death. Only HE knows what dire circumstances led that person to make such a regretful decision to kill themselves…and only HE can justly judge the proper culpability that that person must bear. “We” cannot.

St. Therese (the “Little Flower”) once said that we can take the express route to Heaven if we simply desire God’s mercy when we are near death. If we think of ourselves as unworthy of Heaven, and we consider ourselves worthy of condemnation, then God will give us just what we desire – justice. But, if at that fateful hour, fully realizing our unworthiness, but still…ask for His mercy, then that’s exactly what we will get – mercy. Allowing God to give us His merciful love and forgiveness will save us from an eternity in the justice that we deserve. It’s important to remember that even the slightest sin – no matter how small – is greatly offensive to He who is sinless. By accepting God’s mercy (a.k.a. – NOT blaspheming the Holy Spirit) we willingly give God the tool for our salvation: we open the door to our forgivness.

God bless and keep you all!
John

For the person who is saved by faith in Christ, there is NO sin that is not forgiven. All of his sins have been forgiven him according to Scripture.
Col 2:13-14
13 When you were dead in your transgressions and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He made you alive together with Him, **having forgiven us all our transgressions, **14 having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.
NASU

Eph 4:31-32
32 Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.
NASU

The question should be asked. Is there a sin that the Cross of Christ has not covered?

Darrel

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.