Sirach 37: 17

I am really trying to find out the actual Greek of Sirach 37: 18.

The English is: The root of all conduct is the mind; four branches it shoots forth:

Good and evil, death, and life,

their absolute mistress is the tongue.

I am looking to see if there is a connection to the four rivers of Genesis and the tree of life and the tree of good and evil.

THANKS

The tree of life was probably a fig tree. In ancient art Adam and Eve are shown with leaves that grew from a fig tree which covered there private parts.

The tree of life was probably a fig tree. In ancient art, Adam and Eve are shown with leaves that grew from a fig tree which covered their private parts.

Rather than four rivers, I think it is alluding to the two “ways” (Good, which brings life; and Evil which brings death) taught by the 12 in the Didache:

1.1      There are two ways: one is the Way of Life, the other is the Way of Death; and there is a mighty difference between these two ways.

Peace and All Good!

If Adam and Eve covered their nakedness with fig leaves, the fig tree would be more aptly be considered a tree of death, rather than a tree of life.

If read from the spiritual sense (anagogical), the Tree of Life would be the Cross, who’s fruit it bears is Jesus Christ.

Peace and All Good!

Thanks

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.