Sisters of Mary (Ann Arbor, MI) to Appear on Oprah, Tuesday, 2/9

sistersofmary.org/

Dear Friends of the Dominican Sisters of Mary,

In this age of instant communications, word travels fast, so you may have already heard the news: we will be appearing on the Oprah Winfrey Show on Tuesday, February 9, which also happens to be the 13th anniversary of the founding of our Community. Oprah was interested in doing a show on religious life as a hidden way of life which many people never experience, and so her producers asked us if we would be willing to welcome them. We accepted this invitation as an opportunity to share our life, and by extension, the Gospel, with an audience that we might not ever reach otherwise.

Thanks I will be watching

Not the greatest venue though :confused:

Stuff like this makes me think of the Vatican investigation into Sisters in the U.S.

I’ll be betting $100 bucks there’s a connection. Since when did the Oprah show care about Catholic life? :rolleyes: There’s definitely an agenda here.

Unfortunately the sisters are sharing the spotlight with “the world’s only western Geisha”. You can see a video preview for the show here. Of course it looks like Oprah’s interest in the nuns boils down to her inability to comprehend a vow of chastity!

I pray that something good comes of this publicity for these wonderful sisters–that viewers can see their love and joy, and the emptiness of the world which values only sex and careers.

I saw the show—I loved the sisters—Oprah–not so much.

She actually seemed to fish eye the sisters sometimes as if she did not believe what they were saying about being chaste and living as a Nun.

Sorry but Oprah doesn’t have a clue. She only gets new age.

I thought the Sisters represented themselves very well and did a great job explaining themselves. Of course Oprah had a hard time understanding, what do you expect? Maybe their message will get through to someone who watched today....

I really wanted to see this, but unfortunately had to work.

I looked though and there’s a couple short clips on Oprah’s website if anyone else missed it.

oprah.com/oprahshow/Lisa-Ling-Spends-a-Day-in-the-Life-of-Nuns-Video

I saw it, and I REALLY want to be a nun. :smiley: It made me miss the convent I was accepted to, but left because I wanted to “live life as a single woman”, stupidest decision ever. :frowning:

I thought the sisters were great on Oprah today!

I know the Oprah show has a re-run at night. For those of you on **central time it will re-run at 11PM tonight on Channel 7. **

If you want to tape the show the Sisters come on 20 minutes after the start of the show.

I just can’t bring myself to watch Oprah. Ever since that “The Secret” business, it makes me feel a little sick to my stomach.

catholic.com/radio/event.php?calendar=1&category=&event=5966&date=2009-11-23

But, God can use Oprah as much as he can anyone. I’m sure the sisters were lovely.

Need to remember to pray for her.

I thought it was fantastic. They were very good at proclaiming theology of the body and making good analogies to understand their way of life.

My favorite part was her question about if they get sexual urges and what to do with them…

Their answer: full integration- just like you desire chocolate but don’t give over to those desires, the same for sex. Its not repression but an offering. I was so excited for this connection to be made on a widely viewed audience, to a secular culture that thinks one must give in to all things sexual.

I agree!!! I was so impressed with how it went. Sure - Oprah was a dolt at times, but all in all it was a great segment. It was much longer than I expected, and the sisters really did have an opportunity to speak at length and not just tiny sound bites. The sisters were vibrant, lovely, and gave a wonderful impression of religious life.

~Liza

I’ve just finished watching some of the clips on Oprah’s site and I gotta say… I’m really surprised at how positively they’re presenting these nuns.

I guess Oprah may not be as blatantly liberal after all… :stuck_out_tongue:

Furthermore, contrasting that with the life of a geisha… I actually think that’s pretty cool too (then again, I’m a Japanophilic, borderline weaboo :o). I might be wrong but it could be that Oprah’s comparing and contrasting East and West here. :shrug:

I was actually surprised by how well Oprah seemed to treat the sisters. There were a few moments here and there where it was clear that she had some misconceptions and/or didn’t know what she was talking about, but through the segment she seemed to grow from a general “this is weird” attitude to “wow, that sounds like a really fulfilling way of life.”

Even Lisa Ling, the correspondent Oprah sent to stay the night at the convent and interview the sisters, said at the end of it that the sisters’ lifestyle seems “liberating,” especially when one thinks about all of the busy-ness, consumerism, and egotism in the “real world”. It really seemed to hit her!

The sisters did a great job–you could just tell how joyful they all were. None have a sense of loss, but of overwhelming love and gratitude for the life to which their Divine Spouse has led them. And they all want to share it! It ended up being a great moment of evangelism in a situation that could have gone very, very wrong.

Perfectly stated!! :thumbsup:

~Liza

I'm so happy for these sisters. They are in our diocese and I attended school with one. A fantastic order of nuns.

I saw most of the interview, and honestly I can’t possibly be happier. I think a lot of people are unhappy with the fact that Oprah is new age, well I certainly agree she needs to be prayed for. But ultimatly I saw them being portraied in a very positive light, and their interview was given the “top billing”, i.e. they made you wait till the end of the episode to watch it.

Now yes, Oprah does very much betray how caught up in the culture she is. But you know what, I think that really works for the interview. It really highlights what a wonderful thing these sisters have, I think this interview must have been a powerful evangalization tool for their order.

God bless them!

I've never watched an episode of Oprah until this program. A few comments:

1. Maybe it was the subject matter, maybe Oprah had a "fish out of water" feeling, but I didn't think the show itself was very good. Oprah seemed ill-prepared and the questions lame. For someone who the media presents as a "voice" and "powerful" Oprah seems mediocre as a host. I don't get it? Why is she so popular?

2. The Sisters of Mary did well. God bless them. The presentation of the Oprah program reminded me of a visit to the zoo: look at the sisters play, look at the sisters eat, see what their habitat look like, look at the sisters pray. I felt uncomfortable for the Sisters but, bless them, they handled the situation with grace.

3. So many questions focused on secular topics. Does Oprah know any other questions? I guess she "had" to ask questions that would seemingly appeal to general, secular audience.

[quote="GodLovesTheSpek, post:19, topic:186001"]
I've never watched an episode of Oprah until this program. A few comments:

1. Maybe it was the subject matter, maybe Oprah had a "fish out of water" feeling, but I didn't think the show itself was very good. Oprah seemed ill-prepared and the questions lame. For someone who the media presents as a "voice" and "powerful" Oprah seems mediocre as a host. I don't get it? Why is she so popular?

2. The Sisters of Mary did well. God bless them. The presentation of the Oprah program reminded me of a visit to the zoo: look at the sisters play, look at the sisters eat, see what their habitat look like, look at the sisters pray. I felt uncomfortable for the Sisters but, bless them, they handled the situation with grace.

3. So many questions focused on secular topics. Does Oprah know any other questions? I guess she "had" to ask questions that would seemingly appeal to general, secular audience.

[/quote]

Oprah is, always was, and always will be targeted at a secular market. Oprah was never meant to be deeply spiritual, nor is it a serious investigative journalistic endevour. So I guess the main problem was with your expectations.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.