"Sisters Wives" Prompts Pro Polygamy Ruling - (1st in 130 years)

(on the woman’s part) the willingness to actively consent to and participate in such a circumstance.

This is what I take issue with. I have done little research but it seems that in the old Hebrew culture, polygamy was not rampart but more or less like we have with the Mormons in America. There was some who practiced polygamy.

Fast forward to today and we see the Muslim who also view it as a part of their faith. Many girls are not allowed education, even basic education and are sold(for cattle or goods) as early as 11 or 12. I don’t see a willingness but more a coercion.

As I don’t know what goes on in these relationships, I would assume we are talking only about men having many wives not the reverse and/or these relationships did not also involve women with each other.

I guess from the old testament, Abraham did have a concubine and King David certainly had many wives.

King Henry VIII tried to do the same, one reason being he he thought his kingdom was lost without sons.

I don’t understand what would constitute a moral reason for making it valid. Would the situation in China with 27 million more men do it but again I think we are only talking about men taking wives.

I do, too.

I remember one pastor once saying something to the effect of: if God doesn’t do something soon, he will have to apologise for what he did to Sodom and Gomorrah.

Maybe letting it collapse under its own weight will be that punishment. We’ll have to see.

My personal thoughts:

Some people can’t even hold one woman or one man !!

But ok , if they (wanna) approve polygamy:
1 woman + 2 or more men
1 man + 2 or more women
1 woman + 2 or more women
1 man + 2 or more men

Meaning: discrimination , not allowed !!

Yes, and the OT also records what those families are like which was a bunch of jealousy, fighting, and sex between a number of people in the family (Tamar’s rape, Reuben raping one of Jacob’s wives). The standard is one man and one women for life. Quoting OT and saying that because of that it doesn’t bother you is kinda sexist because the biggest looser in polygamy are women. Women become another object to obtain for sex. children are another item to own. Look at the countries that have legal polygamy and realize that women in these places have little rights and become objects for men.

To think about the question objectively it’s necessarily to separate out these other issues from polygamy itself. As you say there are cultures where women/girls are denied education and many other freedoms, are regularly beaten, etc. This is unfortunate whether the woman is in a polygamous or monogamous relationship, or no relationship at all. I think in most such societies, only a minority of women are in polygamous relationships. Women may not have a choice whether to enter such relationships, or living situations may be difficult enough that such a relationship is the best escape.

Just because some or many women enter polygamy under less than ideal conditions, doesn’t really tell us whether polygamy is moral or not or should be legal or not.

There are also cases where women go into such relationships freely and without coercion. One case that comes to mind was American Lisa Halaby, who became Queen Noor of Jordan, but faced no significant familial, cultural, or religious pressure to become the fourth wife of King Hussein.

I think from a Catholic perspective, this is a particularly weak argument. We are taught that the bearing of children is the proper end of marriage. This is not something that is dependent on our financial well being. Non Catholics have been known to comment on what they feel is the illogic and irresponsibility of this approach to marriage.

I think you’re still putting to much thought into it.

Marriage between a man and a woman is a good thing. (One of each) If this guy is married to 3 women, any one of those three “marriages” would be a good thing. What makes it wrong is that he is married to 3 women at a time.

The root action here is a marriage. The extrinsic factor is that he did it with three women at the same time. That extrinsic factor is what makes it a grave matter. Remove the extrinsic factor (2 of the 3 wives) and it returns to being a good thing.

Queen Noor was of Arab descent I believe so this may of also been the influence of her family.

I really don’t believe you will find any 13 year old girls who will save I would love to the 4th wife. Most 13 year old girls if they date, date 13 year old boys - their own age.
This is coercion or somehow it is instilled in them that they will be blessed for doing so.

Ideal conditions - to take a 13 year old or even a 16 year old and force her into marriage
or convince her it is the will of God she be the 14th wife is insane.

There may be a few adult women who actively consent - maybe they have lost hope in finding their own husband. That is possible.

We still have no idea of how common it was. Like I said it also seems to based on an ancient economic system - a way of providing for females.

According to her autobiography her family was not in favor of it, although they respected her decision.

[quote=gam197]I really don’t believe you will find any 13 year old girls who will save I would love to the 4th wife. Most 13 year old girls if they date, date 13 year old boys - their own age.
This is coercion or somehow it is instilled in them that they will be blessed for doing so.

Ideal conditions - to take a 13 year old or even a 16 year old and force her into marriage
or convince her it is the will of God she be the 14th wife is insane.
[/quote]

I appreciate that 13 year olds may not have the maturity necessary to make good decisions about whether and who to marry, and may not have the self confidence or respect within the family to resist a decision they are pushed into. Not sure why that is different for girls in a polygamous vs monogamous relationship.

I brought up that argument because a man has to provide for his family as I understand it.
If I am a man who would like to marry, I seek employment and pay to provide for my future wife.

In a society, is it just to ask a man who trying to seek marriage to provide for a man who takes on many wives.

This argument remains because we live in a society that provides welfare to wives. It is not an issue of morality in this instance but an instance of justice to me.

originally posted by markomalley
Marriage between a man and a woman is a good thing. (One of each) If this guy is married to 3 women, any one of those three “marriages” would be a good thing. What makes it wrong is that he is married to 3 women at a time.

I may be overthinking this. Even if you take away the 2 other women, they are still there. There can only be one man and one woman. It is about the dignity of the woman.

originally posted by Digitonomy
Not sure why that is different for girls in a polygamous vs monogamous relationship.

Thirteen year old and most 16 year olds don’t have the ability to make such decisions. We do know that some, repeat some girls marry say at 18 or 20 and make very good choices.

Economics are very different today. A polygamous relationship is every different. When I look around I see 16 year old girls and I see them with 16 year old boys. That is the standard. Polygamy is a system where girls chose a lesser position that her God given right (One Man and One Woman)usually because of some false religious belief that it is for the Will of God.

The Hebrew O,T, never allowed one woman and two and more men and understanding so as it broke the natural order(birth of children).

I see polygamy as a total rupture of the “Dignity of Woman”.

According to Church teaching as presented here, God sees it as grave sin only. This may be truth.
I am just puzzled by this.

Thanks for proving my point. :thumbsup:

Not surprising. I kind of figured that with the change in definition of marriage, that it will eventually lead to this. I wonder if the government will ever put a limit on the number of spouses, but of course, that would be going against marriage equality.

One would never know if they drank the koolaid offered by the gay “marriage” movement.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.