Sitting during Gospel Reading

Is it ok to sit for the Gospel reading outside of a Liturgical Setting - ie at a Baptism or Reconciliation service? Or should people ALWAYS stand for any reading of the Gospel? Just curious.....

A Baptism or a Reconciliation service is a liturgical setting.

I don't know that there are any official rules for reading the Gospel outside the context of the liturgy. If done in a private setting (like one's home), I suppose it's up to each individual's discretion.

If the Gospel is being read at anything inside a church building, people will be given the indication to stand for it. Especially at funerals or weddings where you may have lapsed Catholics or non Catholics in attendance. Its for respect in my opinion. I would say sitting down for a health reason is fine as my aunt cannot stand for long periods of time.

A lot of non-Mass services will have their own instructions and guidelines, which usually mean standing for the gospel.

For example, from the General Instruction to the Liturgy of the Hours:

138 The Gospel canticles, the Benedictus, the Magnificat and the Nunc dimittis, should be accorded the same solemnity and dignity as is usual for the hearing of the Gospel.

Where it is not explicitly stated, I would expect as a rule of thumb that:
people should stand during a liturgical setting (e.g. Baptism, reconciliation service)
people may stand or not as is their usual custom (reading the Bible at home, group Bible sudy)

but that's just based on what we do around here, it's not liturgical law. the GILH seems to indicate that standing and making triple the sign of the cross is 'usual' even outside of Mass, make of that what you will.

[quote="BigE, post:1, topic:306542"]
Is it ok to sit for the Gospel reading outside of a Liturgical Setting - ie at a Baptism or Reconciliation service? Or should people ALWAYS stand for any reading of the Gospel? Just curious.....

[/quote]

unless there is a physical limitation to standing. Baptism and Reconciliation service are liturgical settings. At home and privately reading or in a Bible study would not be liturgical services.

The key for whether to stand or not, is not location driven, but the intended function....if the word is being proclaimed in a liturgical setting, it is done by someone ordained, (i.e., priest, deacon, bishop), and we should stand (if physically able).

If the gospel is being read, sitting down can be appropriate.

Not all liturgies require that an ordained minister be the proclaimer of the Gospel.

So, it’s not the where **or **the who, but the why. :wink:

As far as I know, all of the approved liturgies of the Church have rubrics. While it is possible that the rubrics of a liturgy would indicate another posture, all of them that I am familiar with, indicate to stand.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.