Sitting during the Prayer after Communion?

I just went to my first Mass at the parish near the university I am attending this year and noticed that after the last communion song the priest and the entire congregation sat down and remained seated during the prayer after communion (even the priest sat down while he read the prayer) and then went straight into various announcements before Mass ended. I have never seen this in any Mass that I have attended, so I was just wondering if this is a common practice in any other parishes?

In our parish it kind of depends on the priest. A lot of times the priest will sit until the communion songs are finished and then will have everyone read the Prayer to St. Michael or for vocations, etc , but then stand and go to the altar for the closing blessing. If the music is finished then usually the priest continues at the altar and concludes with the blessing. It probably does vary somewhat depending on the church too.

I think it depends on the pastor of the parish, We have several older retired priests that still work in our parish and we are fortunate to have several deacons that help them by serving
. If it were not for these wonderful souls who still serve God's people saying mass and hearing confessions and making hospital visits we would be in a world of hurt. there are 18 masses said in our parish of 4 churches on weekends. Sometimes its easy to tell it isn't their best day but they are doing what they love and we are grateful .. what would the alternative be without them ? Please pray for all our priests, there is big burden on their shoulders and during these times they have to put up with disrespect from the haters.

Normal practice is to stand for prayer. However, I don't see that many people would see it as an abuse to sit during the Prayer after Communion.

[quote="jimrob, post:4, topic:336430"]
Normal practice is to stand for prayer. However, I don't see that many people would see it as an abuse to sit during the Prayer after Communion.

[/quote]

If the rubrics say that people are to stand, then it would be an abuse to have the people sit for the prayer.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.