Six dead and four missing after sinkhole swallows bus in western China

China has had a few of these instances. I wonder if there is a way to find out the bad spots on roads, you obviously, can not rebuild every road there. I guess, we’ve had a few sinkholes too.

Six people died and four are missing after a bus plunged into a sinkhole on a busy road in northwestern China on Monday afternoon.

The road collapsed at about 5.30pm as passengers prepared to board the bus outside Changcheng Hospital in Xining, Qinghai province, according to the city government.

Footage of the incident circulating online indicated that the collapse was followed by an explosion and heavy smoke from inside the hole. It was not clear how many people were on the bus.

CNN coverage (article alludes to the possibility that some of this is the result of poor construction and cites past examples.

I have seen the CCTV video of the incident, it’s probably a bit too intense for some viewers but the first story posted above does have an abbreviated version of a video on how this tragedy happened.

Again, I wonder if there is anything that can be done short of the impossible and rebuilding every road.

Surely, it’s a very rare occurrence but still.

For the record, this seemed to happen in the city, a populated area.

1 Like

Normally it is leaking water pipes that cause sinkholes to develop. Very sad, it seems that those that died may have been electrocuted. Very sad and scary!

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord,
and let perpetual light shine upon them.
May they rest in peace.

Amen.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.