Skip mass because of work?

Hi! I have 2 questions…

1. I am going away for a few days in 2 weeks and in order to get off from work my boss had to give me extra hours this week. My shifts consist of 6:30 am to 8:00 pm, next Saturday and next Sunday.

I usually go Saturday evenings, but clearly I wont be able to go to any mass next weekend. It is a one time thing. I will try my best to attend mass that next Monday morning and possibly that next Wednesday evening, the only times I may be able to, but I know these are not the obligatory Sunday mass. Is this a sin?

1. I am going away the weekend after that and I will be without transportation. I will not know until I get there if this is even an issue or not (hopefully it wont be, but just in case I want to ask), but there is a possibility that I may be unable to make it to a mass that weekend, either (depending on my hotel location, which I wont know until the day of). What if I have to miss mass, 2 weeks in a row? Should I be concerned?

If you really have to work all day Saturday and Sunday, there is no sin in missing Mass. God does not demand the impossible. In the second case, if you absolutely cannot make it to Mass, the same applies. God does not expect the impossible.

If you talk with your pastor about this, he may be able to dispense you from the obligation to attend Mass next weekend.

i wouldn’t worry about it. your heart is in the right place

I second Paul’s advice. When you know it will be impossible to attend Sunday mass, speak with your pastor ahead of time for a dispensation from your obligation. I had to do this when my mom took my son and I on a cruise some years back.

On the weekend you’ll be out of town, **make every effort **to get to mass – Google search Catholic churches in the area, get their mass schedules online before you leave. That way you’ll have a fair idea of what Catholic parish is closest to you when you get to your hotel. With modern technology, it won’t take too long :smiley:

It’s awesome that you’re giving this thought ahead of time :thumbsup:

God bless you!!!

Gertie

:thumbsup:

(and Gertabelle :thumbsup: )

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Talk with your pastor / confessor. I’m sure he will give reassure you. Plus you will feel much more at peace because you got it from your pastoral shepherd.

Peace
James

Justine,
I pretty much agree with Gertabelle in Post #4.
When I had to work weekends, I spoke with my pastor & he said to go to Mass during the
week and then to mention it in Confession.

Thanks, everyone!

If you live in the United States, your employer is legally required to allow you to attend Mass on all Holy Days of Obligation (which includes Sunday).

If you can get the dispensation, then don’t worry about it. But if not, then go to your boss and let him know you have to do this. You might be able to get a split-shift or start a little later or something.

I know you need the hours, but God is more important.

An employer is require to make *reasonable *accommodations for religious practices. This can include switching shifts, as in, undoing the days off for which you are working that particular Sunday.

eeoc.gov/laws/practices/index.cfm

The law requires an employer to reasonably accommodate an employee’s religious beliefs or practices, unless doing so would cause difficulty or expense for the employer. This means an employer may have to make reasonable adjustments at work that will allow the employee to practice his or her religion, such as allowing an employee to voluntarily swap shifts with a co- worker so that he or she can attend religious services.

Some states may have more restrictive laws on employers.

No. You should not be concerned. I don’t think you need a dispensation nor do you need to go to confession “just in case” What you describe is reasonable and you are making every effort to attend and you are not able to.

Sorry, you are not entirely correct on this statement in the USA:
There are individual state laws that have very liberal religious accommodation requirements and there have been a few federal cases where reasonable accommodation, such as setting aside times for our Muslim neighbors to pray during the day or allowing the display of a crucifix, have been established. However, there is no law that compels an employer in the USA to allow any and all employees, especially Catholic employees, their Holy Days off. Trust me if there were such a law, I would not have to struggle to attend Mass when these days occur during the weekday nor would about 3/4 of the facility I work at have any issues attending Sunday Mass.

In summary:
The employer can’t prevent me from praying before the midday meal… that is reasonable accommodation. They can compel me to be at work at 0630 thru 1700 making attending the evening Mass a rush… always there just after the collect at the start of Mass. :shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.