Skull n crossbones on crucifix

I was watching the rite last night. During the first scenes of the movie at the funeral home. I saw a crucifix with a small pirate skull and cross bones on it. Did anyone else see this and does anyone know the meaning of it?

Christ was crucified at "Golgatha", which means "The place of the skull". Some legends say that "the skull" was Adam's. Whether or not this is literally true, theologically it is - Christ's death conquered Adam's. Many Icons of the crucifixion, or even just crucifixes in general, depict this.

I've attended a Maronite Catholic church and they have a mural on the wall of the crucified Christ and a skull buried (but visible) underneath the cross. I never noticed it until my sister said something about it. That's the only place I've ever seen it. And I have no intention of seeing that movie! shudders

It is also a reminder to bring death to the forefront in prayers.
A reminder that one day we will die.

[quote="latin_rite, post:1, topic:248132"]
I was watching the rite last night. During the first scenes of the movie at the funeral home. I saw a crucifix with a small pirate skull and cross bones on it. Did anyone else see this and does anyone know the meaning of it?

[/quote]

Sometimes, Irish Penal Crosses had symbols associated with the Crucifixion for meditation. The skull and cross bones usually refers to Golgotha (the place of the skull) as well as the term "Tempus Fugit Memento Mori". I've seen it on some Irish Penal Crosses.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_penal_rosary

Did the crucifix look like this one?

http://forums.catholic.com/picture.php?albumid=1447&pictureid=9771

Also, the Chancellor's badge in the Knights of Columbus is a cross with a "Memento Mori" skull and crossbones.

Aside from symbolizing victory over death, this skull more specifically represents the skull of Adam, said in Jewish and Christian tradition to have been buried at Golgotha, where Jesus was crucified. The Blood of Christ, the New Adam, redeems man, as symbolized by the skull of the First Adam. I Corinthians 15:22, 45: "And as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all shall be made alive...The first man Adam was made into a living soul; the last Adam into a quickening spirit."

Maybe is the Caravaca Cross.

Blessings !!!

:)

HI all, I’m new to the site - well, kinda sorta. I am “back” let’s say. Hubby just bought me a beautiful Crucifix while away in St. Thomas. We believe it is Spanish c.pre 1800. It has the skull/crossbones at Christ’s feet, and very detailed sculpture! Just gorgeous. I will be in Ireland over St. Patrick’s and am now inspired to look for Sonic’s Penal Rosary…Sonic, where did you source that rosary? Or is it an image from the net?
slainte,
RHonda Lee;)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.