Skullcaps/Kippahs in the past for laymen?

In the past did laymen ever wear a kippah? What reason did they wear it for? I would love to wear one as it comes from the old Jewish reverence and fear of God. But I want to not only just wear it for the reason of Jewish tradition ( as I am meant to follow the Catholic church.) So I wondered if there were any saints/people who were laymen Catholics who wore the kippah in reverence for God or similar reason upholding the faith.

Thanks.
[Traditional Catholicism/Casual Discussion]

I understand your appreciation of the symbolism behind the Kippah.

However, it’s always best to let Jewish traditions be Jewish traditions and Catholic traditions be Catholic. If not, we are making the same mistake the early Christian Judaizers made, and which St. Paul so eloquently opposed.

I certainly would not recommend wearing the Kippah as a Catholic. Not only is there so much potential for misinterpretation, it turns you away from the many outward expressions of reverence our faith does allow.

So, wear a miraculous medal, purchase a St. Philomena Cord, and rejoice in the great traditions of our Latin Rite. God Bless.

If anything, it was clergy that wore a black Zucchetto. My old pastor had one.

In Judaism, men are required to cover their heads when praying, whether they are attending synagogue worship or praying at home or anywhere else. The kippah is a convenient headcovering because, when not in use, it is easy to fold up and put away in your pocket. Only the Orthodox wear a headcovering – either a kippah or a hat – all the time, at least when they’re in a public place.

Ahh! Maybe it will catch on, and become the male equivalent of the millennial Catholic Hipsters use of the mantilla!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.