Sky Angel instead of Dish or Direct tv?

I’m not sure where to exactly post this, so I will post on a few forums.

I’m sooooo sick of all the **** and smut on tv, we have Dish. I’m afraid to watch any kind of tv with my kids, and we hardly watch any at all!! I have been looking at Sky Angel and staying with Dish Network for local channels only ( I live in rural Oklahoma). Anybody have any experience? My only concern is running into other preachers and religions bashing Catholicism. I don’t want my kids to see that. Thanks for your comments.

We have Sky Angel and we like it. There are two Catholic channels and lots of programming for kids on the other channels. We haven’t seen much Catholic bashing, but then we just don’t turn on those types of programs. The guide lets you know what is on for several days and some of the channels you can go back 2 days a re-watch the shows. We are pretty pleased with it.

We dropped cable TV a few months ago. We do not have an antenna on the TV now either. We have drifted into watching movies from the library that have no commercials. Even some tv series are available at our local library that are way more wholesome than the current smut on cable.

I tried to get our local cable group to stop moving EWTN to the upper tier groups from the basic service. They basically laughed at me. That is when I started to consider turning the cable off altogether. After the kids stopped watching TV on their own, it was a no-brainer.

We now have broadband internet and phone coming into the house - no cable TV.

Life is better too.

PS: We save enough money to order several movies per month from EWTN and Igantius Press. These are good solid catholic groups that are worth supporting. We get good media and promote the faith - a deal!

I had never heard of it, but looked it up on the internet and it looks like they have a nice selection of programs suitable for children. I'm a bit confused. The signal is delivered through a receiver box, but doesn't it use your existing Direct TV or Dish Network satellite?

Wait, what’s the OTHER catholic station? If you just want catholic programming, drop TV altogether and watch EWTN over the internet for free. if you must have some regular tv, get netflix.

[quote="GIR, post:5, topic:240046"]
Wait, what's the OTHER catholic station? If you just want catholic programming, drop TV altogether and watch EWTN over the internet for free. if you must have some regular tv, get netflix.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

I couldn't agree with this more. We've saved well over $5000 since dropping cable/dish years ago. We do have Netflix and also watch Hulu & EWTN over the PC, which we have hooked up to our TV.

The other Catholic network is called America's Catholic Television Network. It seems more updated than EWTN. Don't get me wrong, I like EWTN but many of their shows are old. I'm only looking into Sky Angel so I can get the America's Catholic Television Network, I don't really care for all the rest of the programming, lol.

[quote="GIR, post:5, topic:240046"]
Wait, what's the OTHER catholic station? If you just want catholic programming, drop TV altogether and watch EWTN over the internet for free. if you must have some regular tv, get netflix.

[/quote]

catholictv.com/catholic-television.aspx

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.