Small particles of the Eucharist

shortly after receiving Communion, I sneezed and I thereupon discovered a few particles of the Eucharist dislodged into my hand. I wiped off the particles onto the church bulletin. One of the particles is of a fairly decent size.
How am I to dispose of these particles? I am not normally scrupulous but I do feel I need some guidance in this matter.

If you can't comsume the Particles, take them and put them in water until they dissolve, then pour the water into the ground where no one walks like a garden. I hope this helps and I applaud your respect for the Eucharist.

youre best bet is to take it to youe church and give it to a Priest and let him handle it. He should know what to do and if he does it wrong it is no fault of yours.

If for whatever reason that is not possible place the affected piece of paper (or the cut off relevant part of it) into water and allow it to soak for a long time,I am talking maybe leave it a week just to be sure then pour the water into the earth where it will not be trodden upon.

If this happens again dont just wipe Our Lord onto a piece of paper but be careful to touch nothing with that hand and then go to the sacristy and ask to purify youre hand. That is to rinse it throughly with water and pour it down the sacrarium (special drain that goes straight to the earth). Of course if you receive in the hand you likely have particles on youre hand whenever you receive and then rub these onto everything you touch.
Dont worry you are not being scrupelous Our Lord is present in those fragments in the exact same way and to the same degree as he is in a whole host so you can't really be too careful.

[quote="blaskoman, post:1, topic:325474"]
shortly after receiving Communion, I sneezed and I thereupon discovered a few particles of the Eucharist dislodged into my hand. I wiped off the particles onto the church bulletin. One of the particles is of a fairly decent size.
How am I to dispose of these particles? I am not normally scrupulous but I do feel I need some guidance in this matter.

[/quote]

Eat them.

You should NEVER wipe off the particles of the Body and Blood of Christ..

And of for some real reason you cannot eat it, do as the poster above said and dissolve in water and add to the flower garden or similar.

[quote="blaskoman, post:1, topic:325474"]

[/quote]

I am not sure if you know, but even in the smallest particle of the Holy Eucharist is contained the entirety of Our Lord.

I would have eaten them, if I were you.

Your snot is your snot. It’s nothing to be seen as gross, especially when the alternative is to wipe Jesus on a Parish bulletin. It’s mostly water, and even if it weren’t, you swallow your own snot constantly throughout the day. It doesn’t magically become “more gross” simply because it has left your body momentarily.

Personally, I’d probably draw the line at consuming my own vomit if there were particles of the Host in there. I’m sure this must’ve happened before at least once in the last 2000 years. How should one handle the Eucharist in throw up? Do we shovel it up and wash it down the Sacristy sink?

Dilute the fragments of the Eucharist so it no longer has the appearance of bread. At that point it is no longer the Eucharist. Then pour it into the flower garden or similar (or down the special sink in the sacristy.

[quote="Lormar, post:5, topic:325474"]
I am not sure if you know, but even in the smallest particle of the Holy Eucharist is contained the entirety of Our Lord.

[/quote]

To be more precise, in the smallest VISIBLE particle. Visible, that is, by the naked eye and recognisable as bread, not dust..

Right - the “appearance of bread”

To be honest we dont know how small it has to be to cease being the Blessed Sacrament, even if it is not visible to the naked eye we cannot be sure that He is not still present. That is why we take so much care with sacred linen etc.

Well this is argued on many threads and the consensus is that once the Eucharist no longer has the “appearance” of bread then it is no longer the Blessed Sacrament.

It’s the same reason priests are not to put more than about 20% by volume of water into the wine, and why there was something called a scruple spoon for that purpose.

wdtprs.com/blog/2011/04/quaeritur-of-the-precious-blood-wine-water-and-dilution/

[quote="paperwight66, post:8, topic:325474"]
To be more precise, in the smallest VISIBLE particle. Visible, that is, by the naked eye and recognisable as bread, not dust..

[/quote]

Doesn't work very well for me. I'm far-sighted and can't see too much in front of me.

I need 400x glasses just to trim my cat's nails.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.