Smiling at impure joke

How grave of a sin would it be for someone who smiles at an impure joke?

go check out the huge joke forum and then ask the question!

[quote=Brown10985]How grave of a sin would it be for someone who smiles at an impure joke?
[/quote]

Do you honestly think whether or not the corner of your mouth moved up or down in a socially awkward situation would really matter to God?

Seriously aren’t there like a million other more important ways for God to judge your character?

Killed anyone recently? No? Good. Smiled at a joke about a Pope, a Rabbi, and a Witchdoctor? Eh, not so big a deal.

[quote=Brown10985]How grave of a sin would it be for someone who smiles at an impure joke?
[/quote]

Depends, are they all over age 18 who are listening, and is it really vulgar??

smiling isn’t a sin. sometimes one just can’t control his mouth on the 1st spot. but later if he desires a pure heart, he’ll regret that he smiled at the joke that’s definately not a sin. if he not only smiled but also tell it to someone else as joke then it’s a sin

our heart isn’t always as pure as we desired. and it need time to improve.

[/quote]

I don’t know… how funny is it? :wink:

If you think that a joke is bad for people to hear and tell, then I guess ya should try to avoid showing approval of it. But if you can’t help it, you can’t help it. When my little brother was 4 or so, he’d start laughing uncontrolably any time he bumped his head or fell down a couple stairs. shrug

Personally, I feel really bad whenever I hear a joke that is sacreligious or something like that, but otherwise things don’t really bother me. Maybe I should be more sensitive about some things… discriminatory jokes for example. But if you’re talking about sexual humor… well… sometimes it really is funny. The real question, I think, is whether the joke has a negative affect on people’s proper understanding of sex.

I dunno, tell us the joke and we’ll decide.:slight_smile: A joke, don’t flame me.

I think a smile is involuntary, unless you’re engaged in some exercise in social manners (“why, no, those pants don’t make you look fat.”).

I have noticed that when people tell jokes they look around to see the acceptance level the audience gives to the joke. If the joke were a racist, ethnic or belittles any group of people, your smile or not to simile gives the joke teller a yea or nae vote as to whether they should tell more of the same types of jokes. If a joke is harmful to a group of people one must put themselves into that targeted group of people’s shoes and vote with their smile or lack of smile as to fulfill Jesus command to love your neighbor as yourself. In some cases verbal opposition is required.

Peace in Christ,
Steven Merten
www.ILOVEYOUGOD.com

And no jokes about Our Lord or Our Lady!

Just smile? If its real funny…regardless if its about sex, religion, politics, ethnicity, etc…I’d probably laugh out loud. :smiley:

I assume by impure, you mean some kind of sexual joke.

I am inclined to think that this is like using coarse language. It is not necessarily a sin, but is rather in bad taste.

Scott

I know this is a very old thread… but I was reading my Bible and came across this scripture

Does this apply to racist, sexual jokes ?

Ephesians 5 : 3-5

1. Immorality or any impurity or greed must not even be mentioned among you, as is fitting among holy ones,

2. no obscenity or silly or suggestive talk, which is out of place, but instead, thanksgiving.

3. Be sure of this, that no immoral or impure or greedy person, that is, an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

Are you smiling at the thought of a sexual act or at the irony. of the situation. On the radio I heard a nun telling a joke about some older ladies dressing provacatively and the nun was pointing in jest at their expectations not being in line with the reality. I wouldn’t consider jokes like this to be the same as something which is just raunchy. Although any such joke may not be in good taste depending on the audience and situation.

So where is this joke forum?

a horse walks into a church …

I think the Gravity of the sin would depend on first --what exactly the joke is…i.e. if it uses the Lords name in vain or mocks God in any way. I think it would be wrong to be a part of that. But as far as GRAVE…well, that would depend…maybe you were caught off guard and weren’t sure what to do, didn’t want to make the other person feel weird…and so you chuckled…only fully realizing later how wrong it was. The Graveness of our sins depends on our full awareness.

I sympathize with you, I am in that exact predicament. I am bartending one night a week. I put my 2 weeks notice in and THANK GOD next Monday is my last night. The things that are said repulse me. But I have to admit that I have laughed at those sick jokes. Or shook my head but did so with a smile so that I wasn’t rude. Well…enough of that! I don’t want ANY part of that and I don’t belong in that environment. I pray that next monday is quiet. But if God Wills for me to be tested, then I will do my best to walk away and start cleaning something. Or maybe even open my mouth and say how inappropriate it is. (?) …May Gods Will be done.

Yes it does matter to God. Character is defined by your actions, not your intent. If you are smiling for social reasons then you have your priorities mixed up. There is a quote from A Man For All Seasons about St. Thomas More in which he says: "When we die, and you go to heaven for doing your conscience, and I go to hell for not doing mine, will you come with me, for fellowship?

Was anyone killed by this action? I would say yes. Over 2000 years ago upon a cross, Christ died for all sins, mortal or venial, and I firmly believe this is sinful. The scandal that it causes is not a testament to our Catholic Faith.

:thumbsup: Amen to that!! By the way, that user was banned. (not surprized).

I have a related question. Would laughing at or smiling at impure jokes be a venial sin or a mortal sin? :shrug::confused:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.