Smoking and the Catholic Faith

Is smoking a sin in the Catholic Church?

Only if done, in excess… and in a manner which would endanger the health of the person smoking. Or those around him, such as infants… children… and elderly, who can’t avoid it. The Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) underlines respect for ones health and the health of others… in connection to the Fifth Commandment “Thou shalt not kill”. Here is what the CCC has to say:

(2288) “Life and health are precious gifts entrusted to us by God. We must take reasonable care of them, taking into account the needs of others and the common good.”

(2290) “The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. Those incur grave guilt who, by drunkeness or a love of speed, endanger endanger their own or others’ safety on the road, at sea, or in the air.”

… Medical Science has proven that smoking and “second hand smoke” increases the risk of many types of cancer and other diseases, such as asthma and emphysema. So it would seem logical, that smoking could be a sin… IF the smoker is doing it to the extent of harming himself or others around him.

Hope this answers your question. God bless.

I have known priest s that smoked are they comiting sin also. i have smoked for over 35 years now i smoke nomore due to health ,and the cpost of buying cigarettes is very expensive here plus after a heart attack i no more wish to smoke maybe it was God s way to tell me it was time for me to quit. so i did:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.