Smoking Cessation!

When me and my best friends were 13, we used to buy smokes from the vending machines that used to be everywhere (you other “old” cats remember those:D ), like most 13 year old boys we wanted to look cool! (we were stupid). Anyway, outside of my coffee that was my only “drug” I don’t even drink. As I close in on 40, i figured it was time to stop. TODAY IS DAY 2 on the PATCH! Pray the Lord deliver me from this grotty filthy habit, I was pack a day, I got tired of it. My wife sending me t the back porch helped. Oh, there is ONE cool thing about the patch, vivid dreams! Last night I had a dream I was hanging out with Bono (from U2), we were litening to Jazz albums.:shrug:

By the bye, would love ANY feedback from former smokers here on CAF.:cool:

Come on…no ex- smokers here! Don’t believe it.

Hey!! I’m here!!
Been free from the habit for six months now, and have absolutely no desire to start back. It doesn’t even bother me when I am around other smokers.
When I quit, back in April, I asked EVERYONE for prayer, including the CAF readers. My MIL asked her whole church to pray for me, and my dad asked HIS whole church to pray for me. The prayers really worked and I am totally nicotine-free and determined to stay that way. I didn’t even have that big of a problem quitting, though I was a pack-a-day smoker. One thing that really helped was the prescription drug, Chantix, as well as having the nicotine gum. I practically lived on that gum for about two or three months, but I don’t need it anymore.
Also, didn’t gain weight or anything like that.
God’s blessing to you and know I will be praying for you. It CAN be done!!!:thumbsup:

Praying for you to have the strength to stop smoking. My brother has also been smoking since he was a kid. He is 52 and has had 2 heart attacks.

hey I feel your pain buddy. I have not smoked for 25 years. I had to just stop and with the help of the Lord have never picked them up again. I enjoyed smoking. Do I still want them YES!!! especially when I have a stressful day. Talk about addiction. Until just a few years ago I kept an old pack in a desk drawer. Finally I had the strength to throw them away. I stopped because I was going back to teaching school. I would have to go all day and not smoke so I figured I could do it the rest of the time too. It was and is one of the hardest things I have ever done. Trust in the Lord and you can do it. Every time I think about smoking I say an Our Father, Hail Mary, and Glory Be…and thank the Lord for helping me not to pick them up again. It helped me truly it did. Believe it or not I teach Health. Now I can truly tell kids what it is like and how dangerous it is. I tell them it is like never being able to eat another piece of chocolate again for the rest of your life. It kinda puts it in to terms they can understand. I wish you the best and am praying for you…Don’t give in and pray, pray, pray.

Praying very hard for you to kick this habit!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.