Smoking increases chances of child being gay in adulthood

Women who smoke or lead a stressful life during their pregnancy can influence their child’s sexuality and IQ, a neuroscientist has claimed.

telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10582504/Smoking-increases-chances-of-child-being-gay-in-adulthood.html

Interesting. I am sure we will be hearing much more about this.

As rates of smoking have gone down though you would expect to see fewer lesbians and that doesn’t seem to be the case. I am sure there will be many follow up studies.

Rates of smoking for girls twenty-five or so years ago at least were the only demographic for which smoking rates were increasing. Thin and gant were in back then, and smoking was used as an appetite suppressant.

I wouldn’t bet the farm on it, these theories tend to not pan out. See:

economist.com/news/briefing/21588057-scientists-think-science-self-correcting-alarming-degree-it-not-trouble

I highly doubt this is true, however, I wonder if I send the article to my mother, will it make her quit trying to smoke around my kid? Hmmmmmm…

Women who smoke or lead a stressful life during their pregnancy can influence their child’s sexuality and IQ, a neuroscientist has claimed.

This is not a new position for Prof. Swaab. Three years ago he gave a lecture which made similar claims. Quoting from the lecture description:

*Our genes, the environment and the use of our brain strongly and permanently influence during development its structure, and therefore its function. As no one’s experiences and thoughts are exactly the same, every brain becomes unique in the process of development. Each of the brains of identical twins has already become unique in this way at the moment of birth. The brain thus only partly develops on the basis of genetic information. A child’s brain development is influenced already in the womb, by hormones and its mother’s stress, and by the random silencing of genes, and it is threatened there, too, by any medication, alcohol and nicotine taken by the mother during pregnancy. This multitude of factors that influence the structure of the brain during early development determine together with our genetic background our character. Whether we will feel like a man or like a woman (gender identity) and our sexual orientation are determined in utero. Also early postnatal environment is involved, through, e.g. the effect of language and religion. Our brain makes our culture and our culture shapes our brain development. *
psy.vu.nl/nl/nieuws-agenda/agenda/2011/colloquium-dick-swaab.asp

I am not sure how much research backs up his specific claims, though. I guess we would need to read his book to find out.

Ture or not, in this case the ends might just justify the means.:slight_smile:

i find this hard to believe. i was shocked to read recently that jacquiline kennedy smoked a pack of cigarettes everyday including when she was pregnant.

i did smoke verily heavily in the 1970’s, but for only 2 years. i am glad i quit because i could not afford to smoke now. i enjoyed it at the time and it was an appetite suppressant and i was thin, but i remember seeing the nicotine staining the inside of my windshield and all i could think of was that same nicotine was probaby coating my lungs. i was a former asthmatic who swore i would never smoke. fortunately, when i got pregnant i quit cold turkey.
once a year i would buy a pack of cigarettes and smoke one or three and then that was enough. i did that for several years, but haven’t done it in a long time. i did enjoy it, but it is not worth the cost of the health risks. don’t think i would feel right smoking an e-cig either although some people swear by them.

Interesting study. I do know of one woman who is a smoker, who has a young daughter who claims to be bisexual. She didn’t smoke during that pregnancy, but through her first pregnancy. All the other people I know who are out and practicing homosexuals had/have moms who don’t/didn’t smoke. That’s speaking about five people.

I do think that what we do and put into our bodies can effect our eggs, I’m disturbed to read about mothers who keep having stillborn babies in which they blame the antidepressants they were on previous to getting pregnant. You can do a google search on that to find out more. I don’t think there has been much study on how those pills, which when administered go through the entire body, eggs included, can effect the reproductive system. It terrifys me to think that by age 15 many young girls could be put on these pills for a time, and therefore unknowingly reduce there chances of having a healthy pregnancy and child. Also, not just these pills, but also contraception and other such “treatments”. I trust that our medical system does its best, but I am not solid on their safety or effectiveness.

Sorry to go off topic a bit, OP.

I find this hard to believe also, because of one major fact no one realizes, and that’s that the rest of the world smokes at an exponentially higher rate than the United States, and the global rate of homosexuality is still 2-3%.

He needs to provide some sort of supporting evidence to his assertions.

What absolute rubbish and rot. Pure propaganda, if you believe this, I have a bridge going to Brooklyn, NY for sale!
I am 77 years old and was a heavy smoker until I quit for health reasons about 10 years ago.
My wife was also a heavy smoker. We had 3 sons, of which two are alive. One is a College Professor and the other a Graduate Civil Engineer. Neither is Gay.
The causes of homosexuality is complex and due to many factors. Smoking by the homosexuals parents is definately not one of the causes.

This is one of the most stupid theories I have ever heard.

There are more open practicing homosexuals now than there was in the past, and the number of smokers has dropped noticeably.

Pretty clear there is no correlation there.

My sainted Mother was a chain smoker. I’m 54, when is this gay thing going to strike? :eek:

ATB

What ther neuroscientist is saying is that smoking may increase the chance, not that smoking is a guarantee a child would become homosexual in adulthood.

When looking at “studies” or “claims” by scientists, you need to look at the notability of the researcher, the research design he/she uses, how good the journal his/her work is found in. . . . .

You can’t just accept what you read.

Agreed. :thumbsup: And I have the skull of John the Baptist when he was 12 years of age. (A round of applause to whoever gets that reference.) :smiley:

I am 77 years old and was a heavy smoker until I quit for health reasons about 10 years ago.
My wife was also a heavy smoker. We had 3 sons, of which two are alive. One is a College Professor and the other a Graduate Civil Engineer. Neither is Gay.

My father can tell a similar story.

The causes of homosexuality is complex and due to many factors. Smoking by the homosexuals parents is definately not one of the causes.

True. Correlation does not imply causation. This study clearly comes from the “masturbation cures a leaky nose” and “high heels cause schizophrenia in the offspring” school of medical research - aka, to use a vulgar term, “junk science.” :stuck_out_tongue:

Hee Hee. Such silliness. Thread topics like this make me laugh.

:smiley:

The lack of scientific and mathematics literacy in this thread is appalling.

And since apparently, the inclination is not sinful, having a gay child would not be bad. You people see it as a borderline threat, or cause for concern and something to prevent. :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.