Smoking weed and vaping

Is smoking weed and vaping everyday a mortal sin?

I think you should bring that question before a priest. If you do, please come back and tell us what he said. I’m curious.

3 Likes

CCC 2291 The use of drugs inflicts very grave damage on human health and life. Their use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense. Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law.

12 Likes

Please ask a priest, as there are many circumstances including the law where you are, your age, your purpose in doing these acts, etc that must be considered.

2 Likes

I don’t know but it’s a pretty stupid thing to do!!

11 Likes

Now comes the question: What is a drug here? Alcohol and caffeine can be considered drugs under many circumstances, but the Church generally doesn’t oppose them, and alcohol and the Church have quite a bit of friendly history.

Granted, I could see alcohol and caffeine getting a pass because they’re associated with drinks that may be drunk for reasons other than the drug. However, caffeine also tends to be consumed for its stimulating effects, though the same could probably be achieved by eating fruit or any small snack, yet we go with coffee…:thinking:

2 Likes

IMO reading the full text excludes alcohol and caffeine. But not debating that one.

1 Like

Caffeine is the only way to make it through a long and miserable night shift. Unless they institute nap time, I’m bringing my 48 oz of delicious Starbucks.

(I average :coffee::coffee: per shift :crazy_face:)

7 Likes

Over the working day, I generally get 2 - 4 cups of coffee. Most of the baristas know what I’m going to get by now and may be preparing it before I even enter the door.

3 Likes

Not vaping .

I vape .

My parish priest vapes .

1 Like

Has the Church made an official statement about vaping? Since the long term effects of vaping aren’t yet known, it may well be a mortal sin. But unless or until the Church says something about it, we really don’t know.

1 Like

the Church knows about, say, the long-term effects of tobacco use and yet Pier Giorgio Frassati, who loved a good pipe or cigar, and Padre Pio, who had an affection for snuff, still became saints…

1 Like

Exaclty. Science had proven that both weed and vaping have for many people severe health effects

2 Likes

I support the use of CBD oil to treat anxiety, where its shown to work very efficiently. I also support scientific research, and that legalisation should be considered in light of those findings.

I’m also opposed to the war on drugs.

1 Like

It’s been a losing struggle to begin with and hasn’t made much, if any, difference around here.

I’m sure getting rid of it will be bongled as well. The money should be transferred to programs that help people get out of addiction and into a job. Putting people in prison won’t help people get out of it. But if all we do is just stop arresting people, I don’t think that will help either. We need to do proper outreach and help of addicts.

2 Likes

No the Church hasn’t .

The Church isn’t Big Brother .

I feel like this sentence is missing something like orange soda and hot cheetos…

I don’t know better ask your parish priest.

2 Likes

The US bishops have, and they were mostly against weed. They haven’t made any claims about CBD oil or other such components which don’t make you high, but makes you relaxed.

1 Like

About vaping ?

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.