Snail mail thank you note for job interview

I hope this is not too off topic for "family Life" but this all relates back to me being able to get a job to take care of me and my daughter.

I am facing a layoff on January 1 so I've been searching for a job. Jobs are hard to come by, interviews even harder. But on Friday afternoon I had an interview! It was kind of last minute (I didn't have a lot of time to prepare) but I think it went well and I am excited about the possibility of working for the place. This weekend I bought a pack of thank you cards so I could write a thank you and send them today (one business day later).

Looking online for tips over the weekend, I noticed everything says to e-mail a thank you note and gives a format for an e-mail. It seems very formal. I was thinking of doing a more informal written thank you note spelling out my gratitude and overall interest in the job (I mean I need a job... any job... but this one sound like it would be a keeper in good times as well as bad).

Is a handwritten thank you too informal? It's an informal office (they men interviewing me were wearing jeans and were lighthearted). And half of my job would be customer relations and sales (selling advertisements). To me, a personal touch in that kind of job would be key. I know I fell better about a written thank you than a form letter thank you.

I want to do things right, I really want this job. I just need some opinions--am I way out there on this? It's been years since I applied for a job and wrote thank yous.

I plan on typing up my notes and then handwriting them in the cards. So I will be able to send e-mail notes just as easily as handwritten.

Thank you all!

I've received both e-mail and snail mail thank you notes for interviews. I find the hand-written notes more memorable. Thanking the interviewer for the time and reiterating that after the interview you are even more interested in the job make you look good.

This seems strange - to consider a handwritten note less formal than an email!!

:smiley:

I am out of touch with modern life, in some ways, but most people say that anything handwritten is impressive these days. Go with the snail mail.

I would prefer a hand-written note over an email any day of the week. It shows that you DIDNT use some standard format bulk email and it shows a genuine concern that you speak your gratitude from the heart.

I say send a handwritten note unless your handwriting is very poor. Then write it yourself, but sign it in pen.

Thank you all for the advice. I think I killed a tree writing thank yous since I wrote and rewrote them so many times. It's hard to fit all I want to say in a card, but it also makes me get to the point. I had to write two cards because two people interviewed me. They are similar, but personalized (for example, I reminded the man who was interested in my certifications about how my certifications would benefit them).

I am going to mail them now. From what they told me, they should get my thank yous before they even interview other candidates. I am not sure if being first like this is a good thing or a bad thing.

I'll be sure to ask St. Joseph to pray for me again before I mail them!

WHile I agree that a written note is more "formal" than email, I have a couple of potential issues with written thank-yous:

My first concern would be with timing.

If you had the interview on Friday, the SOP would be to send the thank-you email within a couple of hours from the end of the interview.

A snail mail note would go in the mail Monday, and might be delivered as late as Wed or Thurs. So the interviewer could well make a decision moving the process forward in the interim that didn't consider your written thank you. This could be an issue especially if more than one person interviewed for the position and they emailed the thank-you note.

The second concern would be "dating" your self. If the interviewer was young (say, under 40) or if the position was with a company involved with technology. its possible that your sending a written note will be construed as indicating discomfort with email and technology in general.

Nowadays, the "norm" has shifted to email thank you's. I'm not saying you can't send written ones, I'm saying you should think it through before you do.

Good luck with the job!

I just got a new one myself (starting 19 Nov!!) so I know how nerve wracking it can be.

[quote="BillP, post:6, topic:219631"]
WHile I agree that a written note is more "formal" than email, I have a couple of potential issues with written thank-yous:

My first concern would be with timing.

If you had the interview on Friday, the SOP would be to send the thank-you email within a couple of hours from the end of the interview.

A snail mail note would go in the mail Monday, and might be delivered as late as Wed or Thurs. So the interviewer could well make a decision moving the process forward in the interim that didn't consider your written thank you. This could be an issue especially if more than one person interviewed for the position and they emailed the thank-you note.

The second concern would be "dating" your self. If the interviewer was young (say, under 40) or if the position was with a company involved with technology. its possible that your sending a written note will be construed as indicating discomfort with email and technology in general.

Nowadays, the "norm" has shifted to email thank you's. I'm not saying you can't send written ones, I'm saying you should think it through before you do.

Good luck with the job!

I just got a new one myself (starting 19 Nov!!) so I know how nerve wracking it can be.

[/quote]

Thanks for the tips :)

I am under 40 and don't think snail mail is dated... but then again I tend to be an odd duck at times anyway (I understand what you mean). My thought on it was a snail mail would "stand out." What is old is new again, etc. My hope is since I applied for the job online, maybe I am okay on this one.

Yeah, I found out I "should" have sent a note on Friday afternoon. It would have gone out Saturday and possibly gotten there this morning. I didn't realize the tight turn around time. It seems like there are so many "rules." My thank yous should get there tomorrow. I live in a major metropolitan area and mail usually gets there next day.

Well, if I blew it, it wasn't meant to be I guess.

I can see where an e-mail would be faster. I don't think I should send an e-mail now... considering. But I will consider it for future interviews if this one doesn't work out.

BTW, grats on the new job! :D

[quote="mellowcalico, post:5, topic:219631"]
Thank you all for the advice. I think I killed a tree writing thank yous since I wrote and rewrote them so many times. It's hard to fit all I want to say in a card, but it also makes me get to the point. I had to write two cards because two people interviewed me. They are similar, but personalized (for example, I reminded the man who was interested in my certifications about how my certifications would benefit them).

I am going to mail them now. From what they told me, they should get my thank yous before they even interview other candidates. I am not sure if being first like this is a good thing or a bad thing.

[/quote]

If you are better at writing an e-mail then do it. Remember short and sweet and to the point is better and long and windy.
But I agree with everyone who said that a hand written thank you is more formal and more memorable.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.