Sneaking snacks into movie theaters

Hope this is in the right place - it's kind of light for this forum.

I learned from my parents to sneak (in pockets or purses) snacks and drinks into a movie theater to avoid paying the outrageous prices. I don't really think it is sinful even if the theater posts "no outside food or drink" - the only purpose of those signs is to make you feel guilty so you'll pay the high prices.

What do you think? :popcorn:

*I see nothing wrong with it. You're not stealing...you bought the candy elsewhere and are carrying it in. I am paying for the movie...I don't have to buy their candy. Suppose I don't like the candy choices they have which is often the case? We always buy their popcorn and bottles of water, but candy? No, I stow away my own. It's not sinful to do this, in my opinion...what should be illegal is these theaters charging $5 for a small box of m&m's, however. :rolleyes:

I don't see why anyone feels the need to eat and drink in a cinema. Can't people survive for 90 minutes without eating and drinking? Let alone the huge containers of high-calorie foods and drinks that the cinemas sell. No wonder there is an obesity crisis.

A small bottle of water (filled from the tap) is all I take in. Bringing in food may be a very minor sin if the cinema spells out clearly that it's a condition of entry that no food or drink be brought in. But far worse is what many people do, buy up the huge containers of drinks, smelly popcorn etc which the cinemas sell, make noises eating and drinking them whilst people are trying to hear the film, and leave their rubbish lying on the seats and floor.

A somewhat related question I have often pondered: Is it a sin to tell a "white lie" about your children's ages so that they can get cheaper/free admission to a cinema, transport etc? I generally feel it's justified for large families to compensate them for the fact that large families get very few concessions. In most places a "family ticket" includes a maximum of two adults and two children.

Absolutely not. If anything, they're just trying to steal from you (by using "rules" to make you buy something that costs less somewhere else). :p

I would buy candy, popcorn, pop, etc if the prices were lower.
Who has the $ to spend that much on something that costs mere cents?
The movie theaters should rethink their business model.
I'm suprised a competitive chain hasn't opened that offers economically sound options for concessions.

Maybe if everybody stopped buying their food they would get the message

It's no longer a condition at the movie theater I frequent to leave food and drink at the door. They used to have a sign posted (and I used to work there, as well) that it was not allowed. Even when I worked there, this never stopped me from hiding stuff in my purse. I never understood that rule. I know it's so they'll get people to buy their concessions (which is really their only profit; they make no money from the sale of tickets) which are outrageously priced. Often times, I would bring in candy and then buy popcorn and/or soda from them to save a little money. :thumbsup:

When I did go to the movies, I would sneak in healthy snacks. Fresh fruit...my own bottled water. I can no longer justify the cost of going to a movie and risk it being a bad movie.:confused:

Nowdays it is Netflix for my husband and I on Saturday nights...and the snacks are very reasonably priced!:D

[quote="whatevergirl, post:2, topic:181827"]
*I see nothing wrong with it. You're not stealing...you bought the candy elsewhere and are carrying it in. I am paying for the movie...I don't have to buy their candy. Suppose I don't like the candy choices they have which is often the case? We always buy their popcorn and bottles of water, but candy? No, I stow away my own. It's not sinful to do this, in my opinion...what should be illegal is these theaters charging $5 for a small box of m&m's, however. :rolleyes:

[/quote]

This is exactly what I was going to say. A lot of the candies they have I don't care for. I buy popcorn occasionally, but when I learned the fat content, I stopped. The thing is, they don't sell healthy snacks, or healthy drinks and I don't want the junk food.

I do not think it's sinful to sneak in food. You aren't stealing. However, there is a discussion to be had about the "theft" of charging $5.50 for a small tub of popcorn that I know for a fact costs them no more than 10 cents a pop.

yeah, it's still a lie, no matter why you're telling the lie. my family used to tell similar little lies to get cheaper utilities, and we did get cheaper utilities, but we were still doing the wrong thing. it's better to trust God to supply the needed money than lie so that you have to pay less.

[quote="Whitacre_Girl, post:8, topic:181827"]
This is exactly what I was going to say. A lot of the candies they have I don't care for. I buy popcorn occasionally, but when I learned the fat content, I stopped. The thing is, they don't sell healthy snacks, or healthy drinks and I don't want the junk food.

Agree!!

I do not think it's sinful to sneak in food. You aren't stealing. However, there is a discussion to be had about the "theft" of charging $5.50 for a small tub of popcorn that I know for a fact costs them no more than 10 cents a pop.

[/quote]

*Absolutely! *

I’m with Grace on this one.

[quote="Petergee, post:3, topic:181827"]
I don't see why anyone feels the need to eat and drink in a cinema. Can't people survive for 90 minutes without eating and drinking? Let alone the huge containers of high-calorie foods and drinks that the cinemas sell. No wonder there is an obesity crisis.

A small bottle of water (filled from the tap) is all I take in. Bringing in food may be a very minor sin if the cinema spells out clearly that it's a condition of entry that no food or drink be brought in. But far worse is what many people do, buy up the huge containers of drinks, smelly popcorn etc which the cinemas sell, make noises eating and drinking them whilst people are trying to hear the film, and leave their rubbish lying on the seats and floor.

A somewhat related question I have often pondered: Is it a sin to tell a "white lie" about your children's ages so that they can get cheaper/free admission to a cinema, transport etc? I generally feel it's justified for large families to compensate them for the fact that large families get very few concessions. In most places a "family ticket" includes a maximum of two adults and two children.

[/quote]

I don't see the two as being related, really. Lying about a child's age to get the child in for a cheaper rate, is wrong. Purchasing a snack at Target or wherever and carrying it in one's purse into a movie theater, is not wrong. Most movie theaters give student discounts up to 18...just fyi. I know that the movies can be an expensive outting! Just getting in the door before buying popcorn, etc...costs us nearly $40. :eek: Bowling has gone up too. :o

I see nothing wrong with bringing your own snacks. We do it whenever we go. We buy the popcorn and drinks offered there, though. But the crazy price of taking your family to the movies is what makes people unable to do so very often. That's why about 4 years ago, we got a DVR and now do movie nights at home. We can start and stop the movie whenever we want to and it is much more affordable. I let the kids pick out whatever snacks they would like and it still costs much less. And it allows them to have more options than the theater does. We can laugh as loud as we want or talk without disturbing others. We enjoy it much more than going to see a movie. Now the only time we go to a movie is when it is a special event like something in 3D or whatever. If they want people to purchase their snacks, they should make them more affordable. Just my 2 cents!

My mom taught me to steal towels from hotels and order from the kids menu even as a teenager. SO I learned I had to teach myself morality.

[quote="Mel_Stones, post:1, topic:181827"]
Hope this is in the right place - it's kind of light for this forum.

I learned from my parents to sneak (in pockets or purses) snacks and drinks into a movie theater to avoid paying the outrageous prices. I don't really think it is sinful even if the theater posts "no outside food or drink" - the only purpose of those signs is to make you feel guilty so you'll pay the high prices.

What do you think? :popcorn:

[/quote]

If you can't afford the movie theater experience, perhaps you need to be watching a redbox and buying cheaper snacks at the store.

If you can't afford to do things according to the rules of the establishment, and lie and cheat the system, you are out of God's will and walking out from under His grace.

What do you think the Apologist would say at Ask an Apologist?

Would he/she say it's not a sin, go for it?
Imagine the repurcussions.

[quote="graceandglory, post:15, topic:181827"]
If you can't afford the movie theater experience, perhaps you need to be watching a redbox and buying cheaper snacks at the store.

[/quote]

Hey just cuz I wanted the wheels I saw on a Ferrari doesn't mean I want the whole thing! The "rules of the establishment" are man-made. It's practically swindling to force people to buy high-priced snacks at a movie house in the mall when the supermarket downstairs has them cheaper. I don't know about you, but I don't see how advocating such an underhanded business tactic is within God's will either.

I managed a movie theatre for a large national chain for nine years. The no outside snacks policy has a couple of reasons. One reason is that even though the average snacker just wants a little something to munch on, there are plenty of people out there who think it's ok to sneak in dinner at the 5:00pm show. Have you ever sat next to someone, in a crowded auditorium, chomping on fried chicken? How about pizza, extra garlic? Fish and chips anyone? Don't even ask about shelled sunflower seeds! Not only do they bring this stuff in, but they can't be bothered to put their garbage in the trash cans, but just toss it on the floor, for the staff to clean up after the movie is over. If you have ever had to wait to go into a theatre, it was because there was extra trash on the floor that the staff had to clean up before the public could safely come inside. The box office prices are sky high, but the theatre doesn't get to keep very much of that money; they do get to keep all of what they make at the concession stand, however, that's why you pay $3.50 for a box of Red Vines that you can get for $.89 at the grocery store. The prices are high basically to keep them in business. :popcorn:

I have always been taught that the commandment to Honor thy Father and Mother, reached out into everyday life to include anyone in authority. And one of Jesus teachings to his apostles is "...give to Ceaser what is Ceasers, and give to God what is God's..."

Yes, the prices at the theaters are outrageously expensive, but you are entering their business, you know the business model, and they are treating you fairly by giving you the opportunity to decline and not participate in their high priced items. But they are "Ceaser", and they represent "authority" and if you have to make hidden acts to enter their establishment as you wish, then you are cheating. If you cannot walk right in without hiding anything, you know you are cheating. First cheating the business out of sales, and second cheating God out of your obedience, which you owe him at all times. Going to the movies is not a day off from obedience.

My wife and I will either go to McD's, or casual restaurant first to fill up and not be tempted or immediately afterward or, if necessary pay the crazy price.

But stop and think about it for a moment. If you set your own rules, and ignore God, then what comes next. . . abortion? Oh, wait a minute we already have that don't we, and the big boys don't think that is wrong either. I always wondered how it all began.

Well, I can only say if you like your local theater, buy the candy there or it will go out of business pretty fast. Here's how it works folks:

Let's say a movie comes out and the price of a ticket is $10 (keep the math easy for me) for the first week the movie is out $8.50 to $9 of every ticket goes back to the movie studio. By the fifth or 6th week it drops down to about $3.50 of every ticket. Now if the studio has a movie they feel sure is going to be a blockbuster, they may demand as much as 100% of the ticket sales for the first week. So you can imagine what happens if it's a dry spell for movies and nothing sticks in the theaters for more than a couple weeks. Also keep in mind that ticket sales drop about 50% after a movie's opening weekend. So, how do theaters make money? Theaters are also often obligated to keep a movie for a certain number of weeks. If it's a bad movie no one wants to see the theater loses bucks in a hurry. Also, think of the overhead, the electricity, the heat/AC, lights, employees, etc.
So, how does a theater make money?

•*Renting the place out of company functions and parties
•*Screen ads
• Concessions...and yes, everything you buy there is marked up about 85%

If the theater displays a rule against outside food, then I don't think you should. Otherwise, bring a buffet!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.