So a Muslim told me

…which unfortunate propensity of Catholics I did note in the exact next sentence of the post that I quoted…

And in fact these same people on this same forum here seem to take delight in telling other Catholics that they are probably going to hell.

As near as I can tell, to show that one knows more than the last several popes, and is thus free to laugh in the face of their teaching . . . :slight_smile:

I gave up on this site in disgust several times over the years, after being incorrectly lectured about my obligations as a Eastern Catholic (again, in direct violation of papal teaching on the issues at hand . . .)

“charity” is quite often completely lacking. The newer moderation system has made things much better . . . yet the trolls and the friends of Sister Bertha Better Than You are still about . . .

Oh, I don’t just mean making the statement about non-catholics; I’m thinking of a particular exchange where the “Catholic:” told the “Orthodox” that he was in mortal sin over the schism, and cited documents to state that this meant he, the specific individual, was damned . . .

Where in the Qur’an does it say this…and what is the context?

I really dislike when people say such things about one another.

No matter what people’s religion is, I don’t think people should just say “since you are not my religion all of you are going to hell!” It’s so rude, in my opinion because it’s not like some people know any better, you know? Some people were born into that religion or converted to it…

Yes, it was rude. But so was criticizing them over their fast.

Looks like you’re all even now.

True true… but I didn’t mean to criticise them in such a way despite me knowing it came off as rude… I guess next time I should just keep words like that to myself or tell them in a nicer way?

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124494788

Christians profess one God and Last Day as expressed in the Niceno-Constantinopolitan Creed. That God is absolutely simple and yet three persons is a mystery rather than something to be grasped (there is no vision of the Essence itself unveiled). John 1:18 No one has ever seen God. The only Son, God, who is at the Father’s side, has revealed him.

Koran 2:62 Those who believe, and those who are Jewish, and the Christians, and the Sabeans—any who believe in God and the Last Day, and act righteously—will have their reward with their Lord; they have nothing to fear, nor will they grieve.

Koran 5:110 When God will say, “O Jesus son of Mary, recall My favor upon you and upon your mother, how I supported you with the Holy Spirit. You spoke to the people from the crib, and in maturity. How I taught you the Scripture and wisdom, and the Torah and the Gospel. And recall that you molded from clay the shape of a bird, by My leave, and then you breathed into it, and it became a bird, by My leave. And you healed the blind and the leprous, by My leave; and you revived the dead, by My leave. And recall that I restrained the Children of Israel from you when you brought them the clear miracles. But those who disbelieved among them said, `This is nothing but obvious sorcery.’“

I don’t think it’s really any of your business. There’s no reason for you to mention it at all.

Okay~
Thank you~

That is true. I asked a Muslim if there was maybe simply historical context to that and it does not apply today but he told me it does apply.

I believe that you had good intentions. I wouldn’t want them to break their fast on my account either. They could’ve been more understanding.

I did have good intentions, yes, at least I thought I did haha

You really ought to have asked him to quote chapter and verse from the Qur’an…with context. In short, to prove his allegation.

You might also have asked: ‘In that case…why is it permissible for a Muslim to marry a Christian woman…and why does she have the absolute right not only to retain her Faith, but to practise it?’ This is part of Islamic law, based on the Qur’an and Sunnah. By the way, my wife (of 38 years come the 15 Feb) is a Catholic.

The time will come when we will find out who is right. However Pope Francis just had a meeting with the head of Al Azhar and they signed an agreement that essentially contradicted what your Muslim friend said. I think he knows more about Islam than your two cheating Muslim friends.

Do I understand correctly, that highlighted statement was meant TIC? :wink:

Mohammad, their initiator, died and is still in the ground.

As for us

Paul argued. ,

OP you were rude by commenting on their breaking of that fast. Under no circumstances was that any of your business. I assume it was “game on” after you did that.

When you talk about religion with people who don’t believe the way you do, this is what you sometimes get. It is a gamble and it is why many people follow the rules of “no politics and no religion” discussions.

Allāh (subḥānahu ūta’āla) created human beings as equals, who are to be distinguished from each other only on the basis of their faith and piety. He tells us: ‘People, We created you all from a single man and a single woman, and made you into races and tribes so that you should know one another. In Allāh’s eyes, the most honoured of you are the ones most mindful of Him: Allāh is all knowing, all aware.’ (Al-Hujurat: 13)

Not only are human beings created as equals, they are given different paths to follow:

‘We have assigned a law and a path to each of you. If Allāh had so willed, He would have made you one community, but He wanted to test you through that which He has given you, so race to do good: you will all return to Allāh and He will make clear to you the matters you differed about.’ (Al-Ma’ida: 48).

The message is clear: Whatever path we happen to be on – whatever law we happen to follow – we are each of us called to do good.

Referring to Jews and Christians, Allāh (subḥānahu ūta’āla) assures us that: ‘Those (among them) who believe, and do good deeds, are the best of creation. Their reward with their Lord is everlasting Gardens graced with flowing streams, where they will stay forever. Allāh is well pleased with them and they with Him. All this is for those who stand in awe of their Lord.’ (Al-Bayyina: 7-8).

The Exalted has made this promise; and He does not renege on His promises.

How about what the Quran tells you:

“not to make friendship with Jews and Christians” (5:51), “kill the disbelievers wherever we find them” (2:191), “murder them and treat them harshly” (9:123), “fight and slay the Pagans, seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.