So-called Christians and torture

So-called Christians and torture
I’m one of those folks who has actually READ the 4 gospels, and I can assure you,
the pro-torture argument that Dick Cheney is making is at the opposite end of
the spectrum from what is revealed in those books.**

Now (May 21) I’m astounded as Cheney once again defends torture on TV
(Chris Matthews show) and religious(?) leader Pat Roberston defends
Cheney! Unbelievable.
This is the “Pro-Life,” “Family Values,” “What would Jesus Do” crowd??
That is what I call hypocrisy, and delusion, if not deception.

I dunno . . . I kind of envision angels weeping over such distortions of truth.

christianliberal.wordpress.com/2009/05/21/so-called-christians-and-torture

Have you ever heard of concepts called Natural Law and Just War? Also, I don’t think you will hear Dick Cheney justifying his views on torture with Christian teaching. The issue is much more complex that you are describing it.

Let’s see. Appeals to evidence? Nope. Any argument there? Nope. Any sign of any ability to reason whatsoever? Nope. OK. Ignore list.

How completely arrogant and rude! I asked you a simple question and you simply ignored it. I will try to be clearer. Hopefully, you will show some ability to reason.
HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF NATURAL LAW?
HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF JUST WAR THEORY?
IS TORTURE AN INTRINSIC EVIL?
WHAT CONSTITUTES TORTURE?
WHO DECIDES WHAT CONSTITIUTES TORTURE?

You didn’t ask me any questions. Heck, it’s only a four post thread, read 'em.

I used you in the plural and, specifically, intended my reply as a response to the thread initiator. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

And yet you only gave the OP one hour from the time you posted before you blasted him for not responding? :frowning:

As for the short blog article mentioned in the first post, Cheney is an embarrassment. Although he wasn’t arguing as a Christian, he willingly puts his Christian beliefs aside to advocate his political beliefs. Thank goodness, President Bush gave him far less policy control during the second administration!

Robertson… well, the man has also advocated the assassination of foreign leaders he disagrees with. He has lost credibility with all but his most die-hard supporters. He is politically irrelevant, and religiously marginal.

LOL Nice try, Mr. Muslim.

You think that you can come here and push that nonsense on us? YOU, of all people? LOL You should pull the log out of your own eye.

If going against Bush and Cheney (former Pres and vice Pres of the US), is considered to be Christian-like, then I pray we never have a Christian President. He will let us all get killed.

I am closing this thread, there are a couple of threads on torture in the War on Terror forum already.

Please remember to discuss the issues and not each other.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.