So, has anyone read Dean koontz's "Brother Odd"?

What’s the deal with statue of a saint with a pumpkin or whatever in his hand?

Quote from page 7:
“Here depicted, a solemn St Bartholomew stands with his right hand over his heart, left arm extended. In his upturned palm, is what appears to be a pumpkin but might be a related variety of squash.”

I appreciate any insight.

I’ve read all the Odd Thomas books, and I love the character.
I have to say, though, that I don’t know what the pumpkin/squash may mean. I looked up St Bartholomew, and the only thing he is ever mentioned as holding is his own skin. )He is supposed to have been flayed alive.) Maybe when Dean Koontz wrote the book he had seen a statue or painting, and thought the skin was supposed to be a squash?? I don’t know; I’m just guessing.

There are various old symbols used in Catholic statuary and iconography. I don’t know what it means, though I have seen the symbol used before.

I’ve read the book. It was quite good.

As an avid reader I must admit that I have read all 3 Odd Thomas books by Dean Koontz. Sadly, I have no idea what the deal is with the pumpkin. Mr. Koontz, in this series, has certainly shown that he has a very clever wit, so I may have to do further research on the pumpkin. Also, I believe that Odd Thomas is one of the greatest fictional personalities since Holden Caulfield in the Catcher in the Rye. I highly reccommend the Odd Thomas series and will do some research on the pumpkin.

Dean Koontz is a Catholic, (I do not know how devout but he does claim it) who is slowly showing more of it in his books. He converted to Catholicism in College. Even before in some of his books you could see religious undertones and references to Catholicism.
He mentioned that the Odd books, have seemed to be morphing into a book about a saint.

God Bless
Scylla

I had always wondered about that. That’s really cool.

Big, BIIIG Dean Koontz fan here. I read One Door Away From Heaven and just fell over in astonishment and delight.

I then read the first two Odd books, just got the third, and I’m eager to read it. The thing about the squash was in the preview at the end of Forever Odd. I wonder what it means, too.

But please, NO SPOILERS. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m also a big fan of Koontz, but haven’t read as much lately as I would like (Velocity was the last one by him that I’ve read). Brother Odd is next on list, as soon I get the chance. I’m sure there is some symbolism to the statue. Maybe the author’s website, deankoontz.com, may be helpful. I think you can send him questions.

I know there’s a whole series of Brother Odd books, anybody know the order so I don’t read the middle first?

Thanx :slight_smile:

Odd Thomas
Forever Odd
Brother Odd

I quite liked the first two – the third, not so much (but that’s just my opinion). It’s so refreshing to read mainstream fiction that elevated the Catholic Church instead of bashing it!

'thann

I have always suspected he was catholic. In The Visitation, the protragonist is an ex-priest and his brother is a priest. I also love the character of Christopher Snow.

The ex-priest-turned-cop-turned-priest again in From The Corner of His Eye is one of the coolest. characters. EVA!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.