So, how did your switch to DTV go today?

I found it frustrating–had to keep scanning for channels, and still can’t get ABC or CBS. Then the signal wavers, and the TV program does an imitation of Max Headroom. But look at all the new channels we get–round-the-clock weather, swimming, badminton…whoop-dee-do.

I have att u-verse and I haven’t found any changes at all.

I haven’t checked yet. . We have cable, so it probably went just fine. I think the country will be ok. I saw them handing out converter boxes like food and water supplies after a natural disaster. :thumbsup:

I quit watching tv over a year ago.

Except for part of the election returns, part of the superbowl, and when I visit family.

I don’t miss it.

~~ the phoenix

It went great. I turned on the TV today for the first time in weeks to just to check it out and noticed a huge improvement in quality compared to before. There was nothing but static on every channel!

Daddums :slight_smile:

:rotfl: That’s funny.

no change.

Being as we were prepared for the first date I found that it degraded with time. DH says we need a better antena so that is what we get to work on tomorrow. Actually a roof top antenna because our house is stucco that means it has chicken wire all over which disrupts the signal.

Brenda V.

I am a little upset. I rescanned yesterday all I gained was the HD version of our Channel 50 but I lost 2 and 4 (fox and NBC) So I fiddled with the antenna and scanned again and got 4-1 and 4-2 back but still have no channel 2 except on the old style station 2-0 instructions on converting.:mad: not that I watch fox more than once in a great while

But I HAD had the HD versions of 2 and 4. We had bad weather and my reception had gone bad again where I would lose stations to pixels. I will try again later.

Hulu and the rest of the internet seem unaffected. Similarly, my non-existent TV is performing as well as ever :thumbsup:

We are now officially “amish”. Dial up internet, no TV (do not have the $$ for a converter box and new antenna).

uhhhh, do the “amish” have internet? No phone, no dialup:p

Actually, depends on the Amish community. Some have dial up internet and cell phones, the Old Order Amish do not have those modern conveniences.

Back to the topic, it is strange how no TV separates our family. In the evenings, DH is outside listening to radio, I am reading on the couch and DS is in his room playing music. I miss watching the occasional TV show together.

Someday, we will be able to afford TV again… til then, we will all go to our separate corners.

I hope you get your TV back soon. Though, some think TV worthless, some of my fondest memories of my children’s childhood was family night in front of the TV. Of course, it was “Little House”, “The Walton”, etc. back then.

Didn’t cost anything except the Jolly Time popcorn popped on the kitchen range. Great times! Thanks for bringing back those pleasant memories.

See that is the problem with a lot of people who haven’t switched. More the cost of a new antenna because you should be able to get the box virtually free with a coupon.

I got two boxes free and then went and bought two fancy indoor antennas thinking that would do it but nope, house is too insulated for that. DH pulled out our old antenna and got it hooked up yesterday so it seems we are doing pretty well. Haven’t sat down to watch anything since he fixed it. I will get to test it come Monday though as that is when I tend to have it on the longest and “watch” the most - as in, background noise!

Brenda V.

Broadcast TV: Good-Bye and Good Riddance. I’m not switching to DTV until they bring back TV censorship that polices against obscenities.

I have cable, so the switch to DTV didn’t make a difference for me. But the Christian Science Monitor had an interesting list of winners and losers:

The Winners

Local TV stations. They will be able to provide more services to audiences, because there is more room on the digital signal to broadcast multiple kinds of programming, such as concerts and local civic and sports events.

Emergency and first-responder crews. This additional space on the spectrum frees up more bandwidth for their wireless radio communications, lessening the chance that all frequencies would be jammed during an emergency.

Mobile technology. As early as this summer, mobile broadcast television could be available on phones and other handsets. Commuters will be able to watch the evening news on their cellphones and on portable players.

Advertisers. Keen to microtarget ad-skipping audiences, they are eager to exploit the kinds of interactive technologies that digital makes possible. For example, one Hellmann’s Mayonnaise campaign invited viewers on DirecTV to click through an ad into a dedicated channel on which they could build a perfect sandwich and win prizes.

“We had millions of people tune in,” says Jacqueline Corbelli, CEO of BrightLineiTV in New York City, which designed the campaign. “Both sides were happier, because viewers weren’t being beat up by ads they didn’t want to see, and the company had people who actually wanted to be on their channel.”

The losers

Some 16.5 million households. That many households will go off the grid, experts estimate. Some of them have even installed converter boxes for their TV sets. But digital signals do not transmit as far as analog signals do, which means the switch will adversely impact rural users particularly.

The environment. As homeowners give up on their old TV sets, landfills nationwide are bracing for what technology expert Karl Burkart of the Mother Nature Network calls “an analog inundation” – as many as 90 million discarded TV sets full of lead and mercury toxins that will end up in dumps.

Under-35 singles, and Hispanic and African-American households. Experts say these viewers have been hardest to reach with information about how to prepare for the switch, tend to have less money to spend on upgrades, and will be slower to adapt once the curtain drops on their old TV sets.

csmonitor.com/2009/0612/p02s04-usgn.html

I guess I am surprised that the under-35 demographic would be considered slow adopters of technology, especially since the converter boxes are so inexpensive (with the government coupon.)

Hmmm … doesn’t bode well for when we Aussies go digital in the not-too-distant future.

My dig tv is fine, in fact we just recently have been trialling a bunch of new free-to-air channels including a Christian channel that has some Catholic programming :heaven:

But my parents live in a rural area, the reception is fickle to put it mildly and they’d be lost at times without analog signals, though they’re far from perfect.

It went fair to middlin’.

On the plus side, the reception is much clearer and we have a few (mostly useless) extra channels.

On the minus side, the converter box goes upstream of the VCR so I can no longer record on one channel while watching on the other one. Like there are often TWO things on the tube I gotta see… :rolleyes:

But I’m the only one I know in the non-virtual world who relies totally on an antenna for TV reception - a nice big beastie in the attic.

1. So many replies I’d like to have quoted - but your “whoop-dee-do” says it all. Add to it my “why so many foreign stations now?” I’ve got Korean (I think Korean) and Spanish (both in MULTIPLES) - a screen boxed in by black borders, and I had to put TV on such a high shelf (to accomodate converter box/TV wires) that I can’t see it even with glasses on. Technically, I have TV - but don’t feel like I do anymore. I don’t feel “at home” anymore - it’s horrible.

2. I became “Amish” on Friday. Except that they’re quiet. I lost my mind once I lost my TV stations. I mean I REALLY lost my mind. T.V. was my companion. I didn’t have cable and was used to / content with minimum choice. Now, I’m crazed.

3. Extra Channels 4 (4-1, 4-2, etc.) ??? Uh, ???

I will say I’m glad for all those who are pleased with their results though.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.