So i am pro life should i vote for gay marriage to be legal, illegal or just no option

SO i am voting for pro life, i was convinced to and i see why it should be, mainly because it is kinda wrong.

Should i also vote for gay marriage to be banned, legal or just not fill in that part of the voting sheet.

What specifically does the voting sheet ask?

I think that we should vote for it to be illegal. Nonetheless, I think people who live with a same-sex partner or have a same-sex ceremony should not be fined or put in prison. I think the State should simply treat their unions as invalid for any special treatment.

If you agree that abortion is wrong, “same-sex marriage” is also wrong. It may not kill anybody like abortion does, but it is a violation of the virtue of chastity. The State should not encourage that.

I voted (in South Carolina) against it being outlawed. At the time, though, I was not Catholic. In fact, I was not even Christian whatsoever. It took me a while to understand the Church’s teaching on the subject, and luckily, at the time, I was a minority voice. However, since then, a federal judge has overturned the state’s gay “marriage” ban, and stated it was “unconstitutional”. (Do note, there is nothing in the U.S. Constitution about marriage whatsoever, and the state of South Carolina has the legal right to outlaw gay marriage. Activist judges…well, it used to be the judge interpreted the law…), so yes, vote against gay marriage! Partially because if you vote for it, you are voting for something that doesn’t really exist. Men and women compliment each other from a biological standpoint. Refusing to recognise gay marriage isn’t bigoted, it is saying you love gay people. I think this is something our culture tends to forget. Disagreement isn’t judgement. But if you are a Christian, the sanctity on marriage cannot be something you compromise on.

I won’t vote for it, just because something is made legal does not make it moral.

In a democratic society, where there are many competing values in the public sphere, Catholics and other religious groups have hit a wall in enforcing our values through the Government.

From a legal perspective, I can’t see many of these gay marriage bans holding up in the Courts. The US Supreme Court is avoiding the issue because they know State Supreme Courts and Federal Circuit Courts are going to solve the issue.

I think the laws banning gay marriage are a little counterproductive, and it has allowed enemies of the Church to frame her in an unfavorable light. One cannot express their disapproval of gay marriage without being labeled either a bigot or a homophobe. As Pope Francis has suggested, we should worry a little less about the culture war issues (that doesn’t mean completely ignore them) and focus more on spreading the faith, which will do more to solve those issues than fighting for new laws to ban those things.

I think laws against abortion are far more justifiable legally than laws banning gay marriage.

Not legalising is not the same as banning gay marriage. I think you’re picking and choosing which Church teachings you want to follow. Being someone that was conceived whilst my mother was on contraceptives, spending many years not understanding why gay marriage was wrong, and thinking sex between anyone of any gender (yet somehow being disgusted by homosexual acts) was fine, I have to tell you that NOT standing against gay marriage seems in itself immoral. Being non-placet on an issue such as that seems to me to be a betrayal of the Gospel, I am pretty sure Mark 10 gives an example of what marriage is. Your religion says “revert” but are you really? How can you accept SOME of the Church’s precepts, but not all of them? Pope Francis has spoken out against gay marriage, many times, has even criticised government officials in Argentina who support gay marriage to their face. And to the OP, yes, vote against gay marriage. It is not an option for a believer in Christ to support something like that.

abortion is “kinda” wrong? Are you saying murder is kinda wrong? Gay marriage is against everything the Catholic Church teaches about marriage and sex. You shouldn’t be voting for it to be legal.

Either I was not clear, or you misunderstood me. Allow me to restate what I said in a way that is a bit more thought out.

I also do not appreciate you making assumptions about me, nor questioning my faith based on one post that you may or may not completely understood. Frankly, I’m insulted.

I accept the Church’s teachings on gay marriage. I won’t vote for gay marriage’s legalization. However, based on the climate in the US courts, state laws that make it illegal are being struck down. Legal gay marriage is coming, even if I don’t agree with it.

I don’t understand your statement. “Not legalising is not the same as banning gay marriage.” Perhaps you could restate that?

I agree we have to stand up for the gospel. More than that, we need to teach it to those around us and have it guide our daily lives. However, at least in my country, we have a Constitution and a Court system, and society with many different competing value systems, and that may prevent us from codifying our beliefs on hot button social issues.

Therefore in my advice to the OP (which I should have made more clearly in my first post. As a Catholic, we can’t support legalizing gay marriage, but don’t be shocked when any state bans against it are overturned by the courts or a popular referendum.

It does really depend on what is being proposed.

The Church teaches that we must vigorously defend traditional marriage and oppose actions of the government which try to create a construct that is considered equal to marriage for same-sex couples - whether it is called marriage or something else.

At the same time, we need to defend against attacks against the dignity of persons with the homosexual condition.

That means that if same-sex “marriage” is actually on the ballot, we oppose it.

If traditional marriage is on the ballot, we support it.

If legal protection in matters such as housing, employment, etc. is proposed for those who identify as homosexual is on the ballot we support it.

BUT lately proposals like the last one I listed don’t just protect homosexual persons but also their behavior. We have seen this with bills to offer equal access to adoption for same-sex couples or to make being in a same-sex marriage (not just being homosexual) a protected class. In most cases, we should oppose those ballot proposals.

Hypothetical question; can one be pro-life and support same-sex marriage, when life is an inherent biological impossibility with the latter?

Why can’t i just not support gay marriage, but not vote against it. I can’t vote against, i have friends who are gay, and i love them.

Jesus loved the tax collector, prostitute and great sinner.
It didn’t mean that he loved what they did and neither do you.

Priorities. Vote exactly how you think Jesus would vote and don’t pretend like you don’t know or am not sure of how He would vote. When I go to the polls I take Jesus with me. Brenda

In what way can you “not support” it, if you won’t vote against it?

And I’m glad that you love your friends. But the best way you can act on that love is by voting against any law that would give them the false impression that they can be married. They may not be happy about this, but I have found that a general policy of not discussing how I vote has been helpful in many situations, and might be helpful to you here.

A gay person is just as important as a straight person; that is a given. But homosexual sexual relationships are not the same kind of thing as a marriage, and we’re not doing anyone any favors by pretending they are.

Most of the legal advantages that married people have can be duplicated by a non-married couple of any gender(s). It just requires some papers drawn up by a lawyer, and is a bit of a pain in the neck, but isn’t prohibitive. The exception to that is tax breaks for married couples. Since marriage is what it is, regardless of what we choose as a society to pretend, I don’t think there is any call to force the whole society to pretend that two men or two women can be married, just for a few tax breaks and a little convenience.

–Jen

Do you have a link on that legal right by any chance, and also how do i change my mother’s opinion on gay marriage and abortion legality. I agree that my faith should correspond to my works so i am voting that it would illegal. It is wrong, my attitude with my gay friends will be the same, I know what they are doing is wrong but I don’t condemn them, my hopes is that they will realize that it is wrong later on. I mean they can still love each other in public, i don’t care but i just don’t think marriage can be allowed for people who are not straight, it isn’t natural and everybody knows. That doesn’t mean I will have an attitude towards them though. I just know that it is kind of odd.

For things like joint-ownersip agreements for property, properly made wills, medical power of attorney and so forth, I don’t know a link. Someone would want to actually consult a lawyer. Like I said, it’s a pain, but my point is that it is possible.

My attitude to gay couples I know is pretty similar to my attitude to unmarried cohabiting couples I know–it’s not the right thing to do, but it’s not my business to tell them so except in the extremely unlikely event that they asked me about it.

As for convincing your mother, well, I have never been able to convince my mother of anything, so I defer to anyone who has some success in this field.

–Jen

How is the proposal on the voting sheet worded. You haven’t told us that yet so how can we answer your question.

I have no clue how its worded i never voted, im 19.

So i get how we should vote against abortion (mainly abortion), and gay marriage, but in the process don’t we take their rights away, I am speaking mostly about gay marriage, they aren’t hurting us but just themselves…It is strange, no harsh answers, only kind words should be allowed here.

Please read this document to better understand the Church’s position on this issue:

vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20030731_homosexual-unions_en.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.