So I'm curious...

I’m curious as to why the culture has adapted to using the Christian God’s name as an exclamation, or use it when they are not talking about Him directly. Why is it the name for the Christian God and not any other religion’s gods? Why do people say “Oh my God” and not things like “Oh my Buddha” etc.? Thoughts?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I didn’t know where to place it. :o

God Bless,
LiveForChrist :signofcross:

God’s Holy name should never be used in vain… and it all boils down to respect. NO ONE should be exclaiming with His Holy name… Its the new generation that, I fear, does not have the fear of God, or respect for His Holy name that abuse it…

Just my thoughts…

We don’t use Buddha in curses in American/Western culture because we are not Buddhist, and our culture has more in common with Europe than India/China/Japan. Are you unaware of the deep cultural and historical impact of Christianity in the West?

I think it's a legitimate question. I don't know how people swear in Eastern or Middle Eastern countries, so I can't say. But I do think that if swearing weren't offensive to God, people would just say "Oh my stars" or whatever. Why do they use the Lord's name in vain? Someone likely started using the Lord's name in vain (obviously WAAAAY back on Old Testament times or it wouldn't be one of the Ten Commandments) precisely to offend God and somewhere along the line it just became accepted as "no big deal" and now people do it without thinking. The work of the devil no doubt. I used to swear quite a bit but I went to Confession about 8 months ago for the first time in 7 or 8 years, and afterwards I stopped swearing instantaneously. I credit it to the Grace I received from Confession. Thus, that proves that swearing is evil and something that offends God whether people are conscious of that when they are doing it or not.

"Holy Cow" is a religious slur.

So is, "hey, he Gypped you!"

To me, it isn't that you utter something in particular, it's that you have such an utterance at all. This, to me, means that when you are stressed, gunk squirts out instead of blood and/or water. What is the spiritual difference between any of them that are popular, and which aren't? Gee whillikers is fashionable because it's sufficiently abstract but how about something standard and non-judgmental, like "whoops." To me, "whoops" is fundementally different than "o gosh drat it." It says something is amiss without blaming.

Alan

It comes from the Old Testament practice of swearing oaths which were part of covenants.

Covenants form family bonds. Covenants ususally included a sacrifice and each party would swear to God that they would not break the covenant lest what happened to the animal should happen to them. The oath sealed the covenant, and each agreed that if they broke faith, they would wind up like the animal.

To involk the name of God and make an oath was to seal the covenant. You can swear an oath by Budda but Budda is not God and so you might as well swear by a tree or your car tire.

People think it is trite, something from a bygone era, but swearing on the name of God really isn't a trivial matter.

Now Peter was sitting outside in the courtyard. One of the maids came over to him and said, “You too were with Jesus the Galilean.” But he denied it in front of everyone, saying, “I do not know what you are talking about!” As he went out to the gate, another girl saw him and said to those who were there, “This man was with Jesus the Nazorean.” Again he denied it with an oath, “I do not know the man!” A little later the bystanders came over and said to Peter, “Surely you too are one of them; even your speech gives you away.” At that he began to curse and to swear, “I do not know the man.” And immediately a cock crowed. (Matthew 26:69-74)

God takes oaths seriously.

It's one of the reasons why we are forbidden to join organizations which ask members to swear an oath on matters of faith and morals. The legitimate authority on matters of faith and morals is the Church. it doesn't matter who the institution is, no institution may may assume the authority which God gave to the Church.

-Tim-

[quote="Veronica97, post:4, topic:278445"]
I think it's a legitimate question. I don't know how people swear in Eastern or Middle Eastern countries, so I can't say. But I do think that if swearing weren't offensive to God, people would just say "Oh my stars" or whatever. Why do they use the Lord's name in vain? Someone likely started using the Lord's name in vain (obviously WAAAAY back on Old Testament times or it wouldn't be one of the Ten Commandments) precisely to offend God and somewhere along the line it just became accepted as "no big deal" and now people do it without thinking. The work of the devil no doubt. I used to swear quite a bit but I went to Confession about 8 months ago for the first time in 7 or 8 years, and afterwards I stopped swearing instantaneously. I credit it to the Grace I received from Confession. Thus, that proves that swearing is evil and something that offends God whether people are conscious of that when they are doing it or not.

[/quote]

We do need to be careful.

**One who swears by the altar swears by it and all that is upon it; one who swears by the temple swears by it and by him who dwells in it; one who swears by heaven swears by the throne of God and by him who is seated on it.* (Matthew 20:20-22)*

When we involk the stars we involk the creator of the stars.

As you stated, it is best not to swear at all.

BTW, I made a confession of 37 years about four years ago. I will simply echo your words about grace and say that it was miraculous

-Tim-

Thank you, Tim, for explaining the history on swearing oaths. Thank you also for something I hadn't thought about--swearing by stars, etc. What would you suggest someone say instead? We could try not to say anything at all, but in all likelihood as human beings, some type of exclamation is going to slip out, especially if we're taken by surprise.

[quote="Veronica97, post:8, topic:278445"]
We could try not to say anything at all, but in all likelihood as human beings, some type of exclamation is going to slip out, especially if we're taken by surprise.

[/quote]

Here's a funny guy. Don't watch if it bothers you that near the end he says all you have to do is believe to be saved. ;)

Brad Stine -- Christians don't have curse words.

For most people it’s a habit, but behind that habit is an insult, whether they realise it or not.

It’s been around all my life, as far as I can remember.

No doubt they answer for it, for as Christ said, Matthew 12:36 NIV

But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken.

God might not be impressed when men use Him as a swear word, on the day they front up to the eternal throne.

Only problem is I’ve got a few careless words of my own to answer for.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.