So in his homily on Sunday, the priest said

… that we should be able to elect Bishops, cause “that’s the way they used to do it in the early Church.”

Honestly!?! Really?!? That morning I knew I should have went to the TLM at the Parish in the next town over.

He went on to say: “Some people would say that electing our bishops would involve politics. I say to them, ‘How do you think the Pope gets elected?’.”

Question #1: Is there any evidence that would point to the fact that bishops were once “elected” (in some way or manner) at any point in Church history?

Question #2: Am I obligated to report what he said to the Archdiocese or the Archbishop?

P.S. Seriously… didn’t he realize how his comments would sound to the people in the pews. One would think that he’s at odds with the Archbishop or Auxiliary bishops! This isn’t the first gaff of ridiculousness I’ve heard when a homily should have been preached. I intermittently go to a TLM parish a few towns away, but then I feel guilty that I’m “cheating-on” my local Parish… but what’s a loyal Catholic to do? especially if I keep hearing dissent from the pulpit?

Yes. See the NewAdvent.org article on bishops.

Question #2: Am I obligated to report what he said to the Archdiocese or the Archbishop?

I guess it would depend not only on what he was trying to say (that is, whether he was really saying that it would be better to change canon law than to keep the current system) and why he was advocating for it, but also on the outcome of your conversation with him. Your first step was to go directly to him and make sure that he was trying to say what you thought he meant, right? :wink:

bygsunflower poster 2012
Dang tin,up tin t? d?ng nhanh chóng lên hon 5300 di?n dÃn, qu?ng cáo.
Vu?t qua câu h?i b?o m?t vÃ
mã an ninh captcha khi dang tin, up tin
Dang tin qu?ng cáo b?ng nhi?u tÃi kho?n m?t lúc
T?o nick hoÃ
n toÃn t? d?ng, t?c d? nhanh, 1000 nick 1 gi?, t? d?ng vu?t qua captcha và câu h?i ng?u nhiên
Lên l?ch up tin t? d?ng lên forum di?n dÃn rao v?t
Don gi?n, d? s? d?ng v?i ngu?i m?i b?t d?u.
T?o tÃ
i kho?n nick di?n dÃn t? d?ng
T? thêm, b?t các di?n dÃ
n dang tin.
Auto post bÃi nhanh 500 di?n dÃn ch? m?t 10 phút.
T? d?ng dò box link d? dang tin.
ch h?p Auto Reply + Pageview Hack.
Xu?t báo cáo dang tin.
Nh?p tÃ
i kho?n di?n dÃn qua file excel
T?o/d?i ch? ký t? d?ng
T?o/d?i Avatar t? d?ng
T?o/d?i thông tin cá nhân c?a account
H? tr? spin content (spintax, spyntax) trên tiêu d? vÃ
n?i dung nh?m t?o ra n?i dung khác nhau khi dang tin
Hu?ng d?n s? d?ng bygsunflower poster
Mu?n dang l?i tiêu d? cu ho?c chuyên m?c mÃ* tiêu d? cu ( vui lòng vÃo BYG–> Xóa d? li?u h? th?ng–>Xóa các topic dã post) xong dóng tab t?t m? d? c?p nh?t ( luu ý dùng d? tránh thu?t toán chim cánh c?t)
20/5/2012 tr? di có nhi?u di?n dÃ
n báo mail v? r?t ch?m vÃ* d? ta reg dc 600 mail, d? 30 phút - 4 ti?ng s? mail reg nh?ng di?n dÃ*n g?i v? >900 mail ( tuong duong > 1500 nick)

Fix l?i c?p nh?t 12/7 thu?t toán Penguin 1.0

Mu?n dang l?i tiêu d? cu ho?c chuyên m?c mÃ* tiêu d? cu ( vui lòng vÃo BYG–> Xóa d? li?u h? th?ng–>Xóa các topic dã post) xong dóng tab t?t m? d? c?p nh?t và thay d?i proxy . Có nhi?u chuyên m?c hon ,data trên 10.000 ->dang 1 l?n theo chuyên m?c t? 60- 300 bÃi + seo blacklink trên 1000 bÃi
12/7/2012 tr? di reg 1 l?n dc 750 mail, d? 30 phút - 4 ti?ng s? mail reg nh?ng di?n dÃn g?i v? >900 mail ( tuong duong > 1600 nick)
Luu ý : khi th?y reg nick b? l?i 100 vÃ
301 nhi?u vÃ* reg mail du?c 100mail vui lòng xoá profile t?o l?i profile m?i nha (cái dó nó báo trùng profile nên ch? reg dc nhiu dó)

Fix l?i c?p nh?t 15/8 thu?t toán Penguin 1.4 thêm spam blog
[list]*]
1/10/2012 tr? di tang lu?ng 100 hay vì 50 lu?ng , tang timeout t? 50 lên 100 , thêm thu?t toán , tang boxlink
*]

[/list]
Luu ý : khi th?y reg nick b? l?i 100 và 301 nhi?u và reg mail du?c 100mail vui lòng xoá profile t?o l?i profile m?i nha (cái dó nó báo trùng profile nên ch? reg dc nhiu dó)**

****Fix l?i c?p nh?t 29/11/2012 *thu?t toánPenguin ***2.0

Ph?n m?m dang tin post 2013 HQForumPoster

********- H? tr? forum **********VBB, **XenForo, phpBB3, IPB3

- Ch?c nang dang tin RONGBAY t? d?ng

- Ph?n m?m d?u tiên và duy nh?t t?i Vi?t Nam hi?n nay h? tr? Forum Xenforo*

- T?o tÃi kho?n forum (Không dang ký l?i khi trên Profile dã có user/pass)*

- T?o tÃi kho?n forum b?ng tay*

- T?o tÃi kho?n Email Yahoo bán t? d?ng.*

- Ki?m tra tÃi kho?n s?ng hay ch?t*

- KÃch ho?t mail t? d?ng*

- Dang tin ->**** Up tin -> ****Up tin theo l?ch

- Spam ki?m bÃi- SEOKeywords*

- Spam khách tham ( trang profile)

- T?o ch? ký;**** ****Thay d?i avatar

- H? tr? gi?i mã deathbycaptcha.com, captchatrader

- H? tr? spintax ( cách dùng c ho?c c )

- H? tr? g?i tên ( cách dùng namvietnv002, forums.catholic.com, 02:50:18, 18-01-2013 )

- Luu l?i câu h?i ng?u nhiên

• CHNN Server - Online

• Nh?p xu?t d? li?u d? dÃng*

- C?i ti?n thu?t toán T?o nick cho VBB, tang t? l? dang ký thÃnh công thêm 20%***

*- Thêm kh? nang t? d?ng tr? l?i CHNN th? 2 cho VBB *

- Thêm ch?c nang “*Xóa forum không ph?i là VBB” ? "T?o tÃi kho?n", giúp b?n l?c forum d? dÃng hon.

- Thêm kh? nang t? phát hi?n forum Xenforo trong danh sách VBB->VBB-D

- Fix ch?c nang nh?p vÃo forum VBB-A ->VBB-D (không nh?p vÃ*o du?c)

- C?i ti?n thu?t toán T?o nick cho VBB, tang t? l? dang ký thÃnh công thêm 20%*

*- Thêm kh? nang t? d?ng tr? l?i CHNN th? 2 cho VBB

- Thêm ch?c nang “*Xóa forum không ph?i là VBB” ? "T?o tÃi kho?n", giúp b?n l?c forum d? dÃng hon.

- Thêm kh? nang t? phát hi?n forum Xenforo trong danh sách VBB->VBB-D

- Fix ch?c nang nh?p vÃo forum VBB-A ->VBB-D (không nh?p vÃo du?c)

phan mem dang tin | ph?n m?m dang tin** **| phan mem seo** | **ph?n m?m seo** **
bygsunflower.net
Liên h? :mr :Vu 092.295.2095

Yeah, priests and Bishops were sort of elected - mostly in a fairly random sampling - by the towns or areas they served in much of Europe especially during the Dark Ages. They had a lot of power, they had property, so people wanted someone they trusted, if they could find that. Someone devout and learned. This isn’t a big scandal, it was a time when Popes couldn’t possibly know the local situation very well, as there was no instant communication. This was the time when people went to a Mass once or twice a year, sometimes. Or if they had a chapel near a road, a passing clergyman would stop to say a mass and townsfolk and peasants would gather.

What he said about the history of the Church is not scandalous. That he said it during a homily, well, depends on what his larger point was. And yes, there was a great deal of politics in Papal elections. I recall reading about how once they locked the Cardinals in without food to make them stop squabbling and come to a decision.

Our Church has a long and quite interesting history.

I don’t agree with his opinion, and frankly, the homily is no place for HIS opinion anyway. However, that being said, his statments are factually accurate and his opinion is not improper (though not in the context it was given).

The homily should never, as is taught in all reputable homiletics classes, include an “I think”. Nobody cares what we think, and if they do, they shouldn’t. It is the time to expound upon the readings and make them relevant to the people in the pews, consistent with church teaching. We are to speak with “the mind of the church”.

Yes, that is the way it used to be done. Sometimes the laity clamored for a man to be ordained, as in the case of St. Ambrose:
In the late 4th century there was a deep conflict in the diocese of Milan between the Catholics and Arians. In 374 the bishop of Milan, Auxentius, an Arian, died, and the Arians challenged the succession. Ambrose went to the church where the election was to take place, to prevent an uproar, which was probable in this crisis. His address was interrupted by a call “Ambrose, bishop!”, which was taken up by the whole assembly. (source)

Maybe you should start by talking to the priest privately first, before you go over his head.

Clearly, you think that. Whether “one” would is up for debate.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.