So let's talk about today's readings 5/11/09

usccb.org/nab/051109.shtml

Well, Paul and Barnabas certainly have a career running for their lives. It seems
to be the chief way to spread the gospel. Now as for the man who was healed,
Paul looked intently at him, and saw that he had the faith to be healed. What did
he see that looked like faith? There was another cripple who was healed by Peter
and John. But first the said “look at us”. Apparently they saw the same thing that
Paul saw here. What does faith look like in someone’s eyes? There was another
time when Jesus looked intently at someone. The bible says He looked at him and
loved him. Then, He told him he must sell everything he owns and give to the poor.
Is there a faith healer today who can look at someone’s eyes and actually see their
faith? Can we ourselves learn how to see faith in someone’s eyes?

If I were writing today’s psalm, I would have said, “Not to us, but to You give glory”.
What is the significance of using “the Name” instead? Surely God Himself is more
glorious than His Name.

“What happened that You will reveal Yourself to us and not the world?”
I’d like to know that too. What did happen that Jesus doesn’t reveal Himself to
everyone? Is He trying to be nice by keeping them in the dark because He knows
they will not reform their lives even if they knew? So then if they didn’t know Him,
maybe they would have less guilt?

So what struck you about today’s readings? :bible1::twocents:

well, if someone is really “into serving Jesus” s/he will have this problem… of being “hated”/persecuted… as He promised…

“What happened that You will reveal Yourself to us and not the world?”
I’d like to know that too. What did happen that Jesus doesn’t reveal Himself to
everyone? Is He trying to be nice by keeping them in the dark because He knows
they will not reform their lives even if they knew? So then if they didn’t know Him,
maybe they would have less guilt?
? :bible1::twocents:

I’ve wondered about this… about how it seems that some are in the dark and… well, Who knows what God thinks about it and all that…It does seem they stay there for a very long time… don’t know if God is actually letting them or just thier foolish choices… or a little of both…

but anyway… there is that psg about how those who are ignorant will get few stripes than those who know…

yet they still get stripes (purging)…

because nothing impure will enter Heaven…

(we are all impure if living in this impure world)…

&, as i’ve posted b4… it doesn’t matter HOW a person gets defiled… He must become undefiled… to be with God…(heaven)

I think seeing faith in someone might be similar to the look someone would give a waiter when they ask for their recommendation, or to a doctor after telling them of his symptoms. It is a look of expectancy. I suspect that part of the reason Paul looked intently at the crippled man was because the crippled man was looking and listening intently to Paul. Paul was probably used to many people halfway listening or listening just enough to contradict him or harass him. He probably saw that the crippled man was listening sincerely and intently and not turning away or ignoring his message. The crippled man opened the door a crack and Paul, through the grace of God, opened it the rest of the way.

As far as using “Name” instead of “You”, I think it’s a very minor distinction. If I said I would post something that would give great glory and honor to the name cheeto1, it means you. If there happened to be someone else named cheeto1 on some other forum, it doesn’t mean I am giving that person honor and glory. Another thing to remember is that the Psalms are OT writings where the name YHWH could not be pronounced. I imagine saying “to your name” may have been considered more respectful than “to you”. In any case, saying the name “Yahweh” would be avoided.

You know, I don’t think so. Jesus kept using the phrase about His own self.
Would it have been disrespectful of Him to say “Me”?
I know what He means when He calls Himself “Son of man”, but I don’t know what
He means when He says “in My Name”. thanks for trying!

Yes, I’m sure you are right. But there must be something more… he couldn’t be
the only one in the crowd to fit the rest of your criteria… could he?

Indeed, many others must have had at least some degree of openness to Paul and Barnabas – otherwise they would not have tried to worship Paul and Barnabas as gods after the miracle. The miracle they were allowed to perform opened the door of not only the cripple but many others in the crowd – so much so that Paul and Barnabas could barely restrain them from offering them sacrifice. Note that they told the cripple to stand up using a loud voice (he was crippled, not deaf). The loud voice must have been for the benefit of the others in the crowd, not just for the cripple’s benefit.

See 2nd paragraph of St. John Chysostom’s homily 30 on Acts:
newadvent.org/fathers/210130.htm

I think “in my name” in the context of the coming Holy Spirit means “in unity with me”, especially when he says “the Holy Spirit will teach you everything and remind you of all that I told you”. He will not stray from what Christ has already taught.

Another thought on the Psalm’s use of “to your name”:
Naming something implies ownership, so perhaps saying “to your name give the glory” is a way of the writer saying he wishes God to be glorified in his completeness – not glory only to what I understand about God, but may God be glorified in every way even beyond my understanding.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.