So let's talk about today's readings 6/9/09

usccb.org/nab/today.shtml

What does this mean? "our word to you is not “yes” and “no.”
They gave an explanation - “For however many are the promises of God, their Yes is in him;” – but I still don’t get it… What is the “no” part?

This from today’s psalm: " let no iniquity rule over me "

And today’s gospel:
“your light must shine before others,
that they may see your good deeds
and glorify your heavenly Father.”
How can we reconcile it with MT 6:3-4 which says to do good deeds in secret?

Today is the day of St. Ephrem, and in Ireland & Scotland - St. Colmcille

So what struck you about today’s readings? :bible1::twocents:

I had the same question. I was curious what that meant.

To understand Paul better in this passage, it would help to take a larger portion of the chapter:

2 Cor. 1:12-20

For our boast is this, the testimony of our conscience that we have conducted ourselves in the world, and especially toward you, with the simplicity and sincerity of God, (and) not by human wisdom but by the grace of God.
For we write you nothing but what you can read and understand, and I hope that you will understand completely,
as you have come to understand us partially, that we are your boast as you also are ours, on the day of (our) Lord Jesus.
With this confidence I formerly intended to come to you so that you might receive a double favor,
namely, to go by way of you to Macedonia, and then to come to you again on my return from Macedonia, and have you send me on my way to Judea.
So when I intended this, did I act lightly? Or do I make my plans according to human considerations, so that with me it is “yes, yes” and “no, no”?
As God is faithful, our word to you is not “yes” and “no.”
For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, who was proclaimed to you by us, Silvanus and Timothy and me, was not “yes” and “no,” but “yes” has been in him.
For however many are the promises of God, their Yes is in him; therefore, the Amen from us also goes through him to God for glory.

As you can see from the first verses (which were not part of the reading) that Paul had made a promise and then had to break it. It made him look bad and he was reassuring the Corinthians that he wasn’t “two faced” saying “Yes, I will. (yes, yes)” in one breath and then “No, I won’t. (no, no) " in the next. He says in verse 18, " Our word to you is not yes and no.” Then he says in verse 19, “For the Son of God . . . was not yes and no, but always] yes.”

I’m going to find an easier translation (probably a paraphrase) for you that will make Paul’s meaning more obvious.

2 Cor. 1:15-20

15 Since I was so sure of your understanding and trust, I wanted to give you a double blessing by visiting you twice—16 first on my way to Macedonia and again when I returned from Macedonia. Then you could send me on my way to Judea.

17 You may be asking why I changed my plan. Do you think I make my plans carelessly? Do you think I am like people of the world who say “Yes” when they really mean “No”? 18 As surely as God is faithful, my word to you does not waver between “Yes” and “No.” 19 For Jesus Christ, the Son of God, does not waver between “Yes” and “No.” He is the one whom Silas, Timothy, and I preached to you, and as God’s ultimate “Yes,” he always does what he says. 20 For all of God’s promises have been fulfilled in Christ with a resounding “Yes!” And through Christ, our “Amen” (which means “Yes”) ascends to God for his glory.

Our priest gave a sermon on just this point today. Someone already covered what the yes and no part meant. Father further explained that the people got quite upset that Paul had promised to visit them twice and wasn’t visiting them at all. They were saying that he wasn’t really an apostle, that he wasn’t to be trusted. So Paul had to write and explain to them what had happened.

=cheeto1;5306210]usccb.org/nab/today.shtml

What does this mean? "our word to you is not “yes” and “no.”
They gave an explanation - “For however many are the promises of God, their Yes is in him;” – but I still don’t get it… What is the “no” part?

Do not vacilate, say YES to God, mean it and live it!

This from today’s psalm: " let no iniquity rule over me "

From the Lord’s prayer:

Lead us not into temptation. same message.

And today’s gospel:
“your light must shine before others,
that they may see your good deeds
and glorify your heavenly Father.”

The only “bible” most people will “read” is how YOU live your life as a Catholic Christian.

How can we reconcile it with MT 6:3-4 which says to do good deeds in secret?

“By secret” means do allow the giving or the doing be their own reward. Do everything for God, God will read your heart, and God will reward you. Do not seek thanks and praise in this life, but aim for the better things, life after death.

Today is the day of St. Ephrem, and in Ireland & Scotland - St. Colmcille

So what struck you about today’s readings? :bible1::twocents:

This is one of the “key verses in the bible.” “Let your light shine before men.” Teach by what we are , not who we are! Know, practice, live and share our Catholic Faith. Every Catholic is included, every Catholic is obligated, every Catholic is called!

Love and prayers,
Pat

Amen!:signofcross:

From Marsha Adams:
" 17 You may be asking why I changed my plan "

well…why did he change his plan?

well…why did he change his plan?

How is “what we are” and “who we are” different?

Thank you for sharing your views on this line…
Thank you to Marsha for sharing your bible knowledge,
Thank you to Vanessa for sharing your sermon,
and to JAG, maybe no one would have even tried to answer if you hadn’t wanted
to know too! Thanks…

I don’t know. One of the footnotes to 2 Cor. says, “some suppose that Paul received word of some affair in Corinth, which he decided to regulate by letter even before the first of his projected visits (cf 2 Cor 1:16). Others conjecture that he did pay the first visit, was offended there (cf 2 Cor 2:5), returned to Ephesus, and sent a letter (2 Cor 2:3-9) in place of the second visit.”

This definitely helped make sense of the verses a little more. I did read the whole context like you had suggested, but the NAB version didn’t make sense. Now I get it! Thank you!

I would still be curious to know why he couldn’t make it, but just know that is what he was talking about in his letter helps clear things up a lot!

Peace and love,

Jessica

So it was really his fancy way of saying, “who do you think I am that I would break
my promise on purpose or worse yet, that I didn’t even mean it when I said it? When
I said it, I meant it!”

Thank you Marsha… and thanks for the foot notes… who knows? Maybe God told
him not to go, it wouldn’t be the only time…

I had a religion professor who frequently said, “the Bible is inspired, footnotes aren’t.” Perhaps the footnotes are correct, perhaps they aren’t, but at least they help give insight. One thing that may help is that Bible scholars believe that there were originally four letters to the Corinthians. One of these was a typical Bishop’s begging letter which is included in the two that are in the Bible. You will recognize it because it is the chapter where Paul tells the Corinthians to collect the money for Jerusalem so that it is ready for him to pick up when he arrives. Also, if you study I and II Corinthians you will realize that Paul was very upset with the Corinthians, (in fact chapter 13, the love chapter used so often in weddings and quoted so sweetly was absolutely dripping with sarcasm) which may account for the tone of his comments in 2 Cor. 1

What!!? If you please, where is the sarcasm?

The sarcasm is in the “tone of voice”. Look at it in context of the previous chapters. The Corinthians were boasting and fighting among themselves over their spiritual gifts, “I prophesy, so I’m better than you.” “Oh, yeah? Well, I speak in tongues, so there.” So Paul spends the previous chapters discussing the gifts of the Holy Spirit and points out that all members of the body are important to the body, that you’d have a real problem if all you had was toes but you didn’t have any eyes, and face it the parts of the body that you are most ashamed of and keep hidden are the most important parts of all. Then he says, of all the gifts of the Spirit, faith hope and love are premier and love is best of all, and brother, you wouldn’t know love it kicked you in your hidden parts. Oh, yeah, you guys have love, and I’m the Easter Bunny! Remember, the Corinthians were the ones that were arguing over who was better because of who baptized them. “I was Baptized by Peter (Cephas)!” “Oh, yeah? Well, I was baptized by Paul.” “And so’s yer old man, Paul stutters like a fool, I was baptized by Apollos an eloquent evangelist.” Paul loved these people like his own children and they were breaking his heart, so his letters to them were very sharp. No wonder, he thought it best not to visit at the moment.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.