So many questions....

start by saying that I was baptised Catholic at age 4. Never grew up going to a Catholic Church at all. I attended church with friends and other relatives (Methodist, Assembly of God, Baptist, etc.) So I never learned anything about being Catholic.

I was married in a Catholic Church to a Catholic man. The priest also allowed me to go to Confession and take “First Communion”.

But I still don’t know much about Catholic beliefs.
I will look into RCIA… but am afraid to ask “stupid” questions.

Such as…

Does a mass on Saturday (or any other day) “count” as going to mass if you are unable to attend or miss on Sunday for some reason? I have been told that it is a major “sin” to miss mass.

Is attending a wedding with a full mass the same as attending Sunday mass? Not looking for a way out… just curious.

Do you have to go to confession every week in order to take communion? I mean, I am sure we all do something wrong in the course of a week.

What if you go to confession and don’t confess everything to the Preist because you just can’t bring yourself to say something out loud???

What is the repercussions to our family if I look into Catholicism and for some reason decide that it is not for me, but agree to attend for the sake of my husband and our son?

So many questions… so little time…

vle045

start by saying that I was baptised Catholic at age 4. Never grew up going to a Catholic Church at all. I attended church with friends and other relatives (Methodist, Assembly of God, Baptist, etc.) So I never learned anything about being Catholic.

I was married in a Catholic Church to a Catholic man. The priest also allowed me to go to Confession and take “First Communion”.

But I still don’t know much about Catholic beliefs.
I will look into RCIA… but am afraid to ask “stupid” questions.

No question is stupid. However, I can’t say the same for the answers you might get.:smiley:

Does a mass on Saturday (or any other day) “count” as going to mass if you are unable to attend or miss on Sunday for some reason? I have been told that it is a major “sin” to miss mass.

Saturday night Mass counts for your Sunday Obligation. Missing Mass is a mortal sin, but first you need to understand what constitutes committing a mortal sin.

Is attending a wedding with a full mass the same as attending Sunday mass? Not looking for a way out… just curious.

No, a wedding Mass is for the wedding. It does not fulfill the Sunday Obligation.

Do you have to go to confession every week in order to take communion? I mean, I am sure we all do something wrong in the course of a week.

You must go to confession if you have committed a mortal sin and can not take communion until you do so. Venial sins, you can receive communion, but must go to Confession as soon as possible. You don’t have to go every week, unless you commit a mortal sin. Personally, I go about every 4-6 regularly, even though I’m without sin. :slight_smile:

What if you go to confession and don’t confess everything to the Preist because you just can’t bring yourself to say something out loud???

You need to confess the sin. If its too embarrassing, go to confession behind the screen. Remember, the priest has probably heard much worse than what you’re holding back, and priest don’t remember who confessed what to them, even when you go face to face. But by all means, go to confession!

What is the repercussions to our family if I look into Catholicism and for some reason decide that it is not for me, but agree to attend for the sake of my husband and our son?

Repercussions? If you don’t accept the teachings of the Church, you can still go to Mass, but you should not take Communion.

That all being said. Look to Jesus for faith in him, before you seek religion. Religion will be nonsense without faith in the reason for religion. When I returned to the Church, I first received faith in Jesus, and I was led to Him by a TV preacher. Once I received faith, Jesus lead me back to my home in the Catholic faith.

God Bless
Jim

Just curious, what if the wedding Mass were on a Sunday? I know you can receive Communion twice a day, which seems to suggest that wedding Mass is a valid Mass to fulfill your Sunday obligation, if it were indeed held on a Sunday, no?

Not only would a wedding Mass on Sunday fulfill your obligation, so would a wedding Mass scheduled “late enough”* on Saturday.

(* Typically: 4pm or later, but may vary from diocese to diocese)

tee

Actually I was wrong;

Canon 1247 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation the faithful are bound to participate in the Mass; they are also to abstain from those labors and business concerns which impede the worship to be rendered to God, the joy which is proper to the Lord’s Day, or the proper relaxation of mind and body.

So, attending Mass during the period in which anticipated Masses may be celebrated on Saturday evening, or if its on Sunday, would fulfill your Sunday obligation.

Jim

Welcome home.

RCIA will give you more information. So will your local library (and EWTN, and this website). Remember, knowledge is power! It might help you to read stories about the saints or histories, as stories can give you insights that just learning the rules and doctrines might not. Read a little of everything. Look at sacred art websites. Heck, raid the kids’ section of the library and interrogate the little old ladies at the back of church, if you have to!

Also, there are no stupid questions. There are ignorant questions, but asking them makes the ignorance go away. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the answers so far. They are actually helpful. I come up with all kinds of questions as various situations/discussions arise.

These answers encourage me to keep reasing, asking questions, etc.

A little off here. Venial sins are not required to be confessed to a priest. They are forgiven during the Mass if you are sorry for them. Only mortal sins NEED to be confessed, and like you said, before recieving Holy Communion.
That being said, it is very good to confess your venial sins during confession, especially if you have no mortal sins on your conscience. Regular confession is a wonderful means of obtaining God’s Graces to help you avoid sin more easily.

Only if they use the readings for that Sunday, if they use readings choosen by the bride and groom it would not fulfill the obligation, no matter when the wedding was. Right?

It doesn’t seem so. All that is obligated is that we attend Mass on Saturday during the appropriate times or on Sunday. Mass is Mass, regardless which of the readings are used. However, I’m not the expert on this, but a priest can tell you.

Jim

You are mistaken.

Readings (or other Mass parts) do not make or break the obligation.

The celebration of the Mass (any Mass, any Rite) makes or breaks the obligation.

tee

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.