So should I directly thank God whenever someone does a kind thing for/to me?

So should I directly thank God whenever someone does a kind thing for/to me?

I am asking this because of this fact: Every good work is due to first - God’s grace.
And, second, the person must cooperate with that grace.

So, in essence, if someone were to do any kind thing for me, should I directly and literally thank God?

You don’t mean instead of the doer, do you? I hope you don’t mean that.

My own attitude (sometimes explicit, sometimes not) is to rejoice that the person is acting upon the grace of God, and to ask a blessing upon the person.

Sure. But, you can also thank the person who did you the kindness. God wants us to appreciate what others do for us, as well as acknowledge what he does directly or indirectly for us. :slight_smile:

Sometimes there is a similar problem with what to do with compliments. I used to have a hard time receiving compliments, and there would be some days where I would get several because of something that I had done musically, or in teaching or preaching.

Then one day I heard someone say that it isn’t right to deny compliments, because that insults the complimentor. Rather, in prayers at the end of the day, one can simply turn all the nice things that have been said over to God, who is the source of the abilities and graces to begin with.

DaveBj

You should rejoice when they do evil against you, for it means God is permitting trials which can help you increase in the virtues.

John

Matthew 25:

40: And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.