So that I might learn humility

I feel selfish in asking for prayers for myself, but it’s for something that I am hoping to overcome. I have been given to prideful thoughts lately, and sometimes I feel the need to “one-up” people. I have been feeding my own ego, when instead I should be learning to disappear. I need to get down from my pedestal and stop thinking of trying to make myself better than others. Any prayers offered will be greatly appreciated; I will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers as well.

You have the same right to prayer as any of us!
You don’t want to on a pedistal, but not under one either!!! :slight_smile: “Value yourself at your proper worth. Who can justify a man who runs himself down, or respect a man who despises himself.” [Ecclesiasticus 10:28-29] Even St Therese as a child battled pride when a dress was chosen for her that she didn’t think she looked so pretty in…:slight_smile:
Jesus please help our friend to consider others while valuing self at proper worth as child of God.
Jesus said we are to love others as ourselves.
God grant that you will grow in Christian self-love that is facilitated by “filling your mind with everything that is true, everything that is noble, and everything that is pure and good” [Philippians 4:8] and serving “in works of love.” God grant that the Spirit will direct your life and then “you will be in no danger of yielding to self-indulgence. What the Spirit brings is…love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, trustfulness, gentleness and self-control.” [Galatians 5:13, 16, 26, 22-23]

Praying for you from today’s Liturgy of the Hours, with a prayerful reading of the Saint of the Day and Bible verses:

St Francis de Sales (1567 - 1622)
He was born near Annecy, in Savoy, studied the law, and was ordained to the priesthood despite the opposition of his father. His first mission was to re-evangelize the people of his home district (the Chablais), who had gone over to Calvinism. Always in danger of his life from hostile Calvinists, he preached with such effectiveness that after four years most of the people had returned to the Church. He was then appointed bishop of Geneva, and spent the rest of his life reforming and reorganising the diocese, and in caring for the souls of his people by preaching and spiritual guidance.
St Francis taught that we can all attain a devout and spiritual life, whatever our position in society: holiness is not reserved for monks and hermits alone. His wrote that “religious devotion does not destroy: it perfects,” and his spiritual counsel is dedicated to making people more holy by making them more themselves. In his preaching against Calvinism he was driven by love rather than a desire to win: so much so, that it was a Calvinist minister who said “if we honoured anyone as a saint, I know of no-one since the days of the Apostles more worthy of it than this man.”
St Francis is the patron saint of writers and journalists, who would do well to imitate his love and his moderation: as he said, “whoever wants to preach effectively must preach with love.”

Mid-morning reading (Terce) Deuteronomy 8:5-6 ©
The Lord your God was training you as a man trains his child. Keep the commandments of the Lord your God, and so follow his ways and reverence him.

Noon reading (Sext) 1 Kings 2:2-3 ©
Be strong and show yourself a man. Observe the injunctions of the Lord your God, following his ways and keeping his laws, his commandments, his customs and his decrees, so that you may be successful in all you do and undertake.

Afternoon reading (None) Jeremiah 6:16 ©
Put yourselves on the ways of long ago and enquire about the ancient paths: which was the good way? Take it then, and you shall find rest.

I will be praying for you…

Hail Mary, full of grace the Lord is with thee,
Blessed are thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

“Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind; the race is long, and in the end, it’s only with yourself.”

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood

Humility always reminds me of our Mother Mary, St. Francis and St. Bernadette. You are in my prayers.

Boy, can I empathize. Humility seems unattainable for me. I’ll pray for us both, then. :smiley:

Jesus, so meek and humble of heart were You. Please grant us humility so that we may become closer to You. Let us learn to forget ourselves and so that we may not live, but rather, You may live in us. Amen.

Loving God,

Please bless your child DonaNobis_Pacem and help him to continue growing in love, faith, and hope each day. Please guide him in his request and help him to focus on the plan you have for him. One excellent example of humble behavior to consider is the way St. Peter accepted the rebuke from St. Paul as told in St. Paul’s Letter to the Galatians, Chapter 2. St. Paul was absolutely right in helping St. Peter to change his approach to the Gentiles in these verses, but St. Peter was also the rock and the head of the Church so this example may help DonaNobis_Pacem to find the way you desire for him, Lord. St. Peter could have tried to “pull rank” or otherwise out manuver this rebuke, but he accepted it and changed his approach. This passage also reminds us that we all need a St. Paul in our lives to help us stay true to the teachings and to be the best our God calls us to be. I also pray for the advent of an accountability partner similar to St. Paul for our friend DonaNobis_Pacem to help him on his journey.

We pray in the name of your beloved son Jesus, empowered by the Holy Spirit, one God for ever and ever.

Amen.

Loving God,

I have learned that I was incorrect in my address in this prayer and for that I ask your forgiveness. I pray that any mistakes or errors I make in addressing prayers to your people do not detract from the intentions of help and love for your people. I have repaired my offering and offer it again today.

Please bless your child DonaNobis_Pacem and help her to continue growing in love, faith, and hope each day. Please guide her in her request and help her to focus on the plan you have for her. One excellent example of humble behavior to consider is the way St. Peter accepted the rebuke from St. Paul as told in St. Paul’s Letter to the Galatians, Chapter 2. St. Paul was absolutely right in helping St. Peter to change his approach to the Gentiles in these verses, but St. Peter was also the rock and the head of the Church so this example may help DonaNobis_Pacem to find the way you desire for her, Lord. St. Peter could have tried to “pull rank” or otherwise out manuver this rebuke, but he accepted it and changed his approach. This passage also reminds us that we all need a St. Paul in our lives to help us stay true to the teachings and to be the best our God calls us to be. I also pray for the advent of an accountability partner similar to St. Paul for our friend DonaNobis_Pacem to help her on her journey.

We pray in the name of your beloved son Jesus, empowered by the Holy Spirit, one God for ever and ever.

Amen.

Praying!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.