So that you may not fall away

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint John 15:26-27.16:1-4a.

~

Jesus said to his disciples: "When the Advocate comes whom I will send you from the Father, the Spirit of truth that proceeds from the Father, he will testify to me.

And you also testify, because you have been with me from the beginning.

I have told you this so that you may not fall away.

~

If both I and the Spirit testify, then that is the day I will see God, in his son, Jesus, who has been with me all my life, my brother, who has always been at my side.

rejoice.

What are you driving at? “two witnesses” – Jesus and the Spirit?

Hi, Pete!

…notice that this passage is not a “proof” of eternal salvation (osas); Jesus emphasis to His Disciples is that He is giving them this disclosure so that their Hope in Him is complete so that when they would face trials and tribulations their Faith would not falter and they shouldn’t fall away from the Faith.

So, yes, at His Second Coming (or during Judgment), if the Believers are Standing for Christ they and the Holy Spirit will be His Witnesses!:

However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?” (St. Luke 18:8b)

(…) 12 “But before all this, they will seize you and persecute you. They will hand you over to synagogues and put you in prison, and you will be brought before kings and governors, and all on account of my name. 13 And so you will bear testimony to me. 14 But make up your mind not to worry beforehand how you will defend yourselves. 15 For I will give you words and wisdom that none of your adversaries will be able to resist or contradict. 16 You will be betrayed even by parents, brothers and sisters, relatives and friends, and they will put some of you to death. 17 Everyone will hate you because of me. 18 But not a hair of your head will perish. 19 Stand firm, and you will win life…

36 Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man.” (St. Luke 21:5-36)

Maran atha!

Angel

First, your Spirit testifies to Jesus. Then do you. You who have been with him from the beginning.
God became man, only the pure of heart will see his face.

I’m going for broke on that notion … to look at his face. And I got off to a late start.

Jesus was not speaking to all Christians in general.

The entire discourse is after the Last Supper when Jesus is speaking with “The twelve.” This is the leadership of his Church.

John does not use the word Apostle in his Gospel. He uses the word disciple instead. Here he is speaking to his leadership.

-Tim-

You see Jesus’ face every time you see the Eucharist.

The Hebrew word panim means face or faces. The Bread of the Presence in the Old Testament literally translates is the “Bread of the Face of God.”

The Latin word for bread is panem.

Moses longed to look upon the face of God. God said that Moses could not look at God’s face and live. We get to see the face of God every time we see the Eucharist.

-Tim-

Hi, Pete!

…I think I’m beginning to follow…

Still, I want to share this:

27 Then Peter answering, said to him: Behold we have left all things, and have followed thee: what therefore shall we have? 28 And Jesus said to them: Amen, I say to you, that you, who have followed me, in the regeneration, when the Son of man shall sit on the seat of his majesty, you also shall sit on twelve seats judging the twelve tribes of Israel. 29 And every one that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands for my name’s sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall possess life everlasting. 30 And many that are first, shall be last: and the last shall be first. (St. Matthew 19:27-30)

16 So shall the last be first, and the first last. For many are called, but few chosen. (St. Matthew 20:16)

God’s Timetable is not as ours; God is interested in our hearts not in who’s who or when they get there!

Maran atha!

Angel

Thank you jcrighton, and you TimothyH … I have two small grandsons, one, a baptised child of seven is curious. His older brother is more of a listener.

‘Will I ever see God?’
That’s what they ask me.
‘Only the pure of heart will see his face.’
That’s what I tell them.

Hi, Pete!
:thumbsup:
Excellent! It is important to teach children about God as early as possible… many times people make the mistake of waiting till children are in their teens to begin to engage them–sadly, it’s often too late by then.

…one thing I found about getting answers for others… we must search the Scriptures and by default we can get a higher dosage of learning than that which we thought we would share! :popcorn:

Maran atha!

Angel

Amen to that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.