So what colour was Jesus?

"Ethiopian Christianity, which pre-dates European Christianity, always depicts Christ as an African

There is a church in Lucca, Italy that claims to be the most lifelike representation of Jesus on the cross. In this he is clearly dark skinned. I’ll go with that option.
Stephen Higgins, Oxford, UK

Jesus was of Jewish parentage and so was clearly of semitic appearance. For the Church artists of the miidle ages to depict him as a Jews when Jews were so despised, would have been unthinkable, hence the the Aryan look.
Jon, London

The MAN was African, no doubt. Revelations reference “for his feet shone like Bronze” says it all.
Jazz Vilakazi, Cape Town, South Africa
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3958241.stm

It doesn’t matter. Was Jesus tall or short? Right-handed or left-handed? Those don’t matter either.
Paul

Black Skin and the Seed of Cain
Brigham Young taught a much greater extreme. In a sermon given on March 8, 1863, Young stated, “Shall I tell you the law of God in regard to the African race? If the white man who belongs to the chosen seed mixes his blood with the seed of Cain, the penalty, under the law of God, is death on the spot. This will always be so” (Journal of Discourses, 10:110).

Maybe it matters to those who believe in a megalomaniac racist like Brigham Young or Joseph Smith. I meant that in reality it doesn’t matter.

BTW, have you ever really looked at the pictures in the Book of Mormon that depict the Nephites (who supposedly were semitic Jews)? They look like Vikings on steroids, not semitic at all.
God bless,
Paul

Jesus lived in Israel and looked the same as any other Israelite, so his skin was probably light brown.

OLIVE SKIN MAKES GOOD KIN!

Most probably Christ was the same color as Iraqis and Jordanians are today.

I have no issue with an ethnic group depciting Jesus in their own eyes…as long as they don’t INSIST Jesus was such and such.

If you learn to read Revelation properly, you’ll learn that is symbolic, not literal.

I’d vote for the iraqi look, thick black hair, well tanned perhaps, but features a little finer than a dark african.

Probably a little (short) brown guy.:slight_smile:

Actually, I had a great laugh once when I was leafing through a book of stained glass windows, and saw an old Episcopalian window with the most whitest, most Englishy looking Jesus I’d ever seen: tall, white guy with blue eyes! How 'bout that?:slight_smile:

Ditto! It doesn’t matter at all.

Aw, shoot. Somebody beat me to it. Strawberry blonde hair, blue or green eyes, freckles. Jesus was a Celt. All we Irish types know this and we’ve got the artwork to prove it! :smiley:

Soooo… Jesus looked like Doc Savage?

My vote is the Israelite, Jordanian look. After all He did come from Israel. But as so many have said, does it matter? As I see it, what matters most is He was born, lived, taught, died on the cross for our sins, He was raised on the third day and ascended into heaven. He also left us His Body and Blood as a remembrance (not a symble) of Him and He sent us the Holy Spirit to guide His Church.

There is no physical description of Jesus in the Bible at all. God probably has done this for a reason. Like maybe we should concentrate on the message Christ had for us instead of unimportant things like superficial appearance.

Did you ever notice that the Bible authors never say a race, but rather a region a person is from? Mary of Magdala, Joseph of Aramathia, Simon of Cyrene, etc? Did they not identify Christ as the Nazereane? Is it because the early Christians would have known or is it because it doesn’t matter? I vote both… I am no more nor less an adopted child of the father and sister of Christ than any other person of any race or ethnicity. As that goes, neither can I believe that any people are better than any other. So it doesn’t matter if the northern Atlantic believers picture Christ as blonde and blue-eyed or if South Pacific natives picture him with dark hair and almond shaped eyes. People want to be able to identify with their Savior, and as we are mere humans, we are visual people…so our minds identify with a like deity…

Just as our minds cannot comprehend exactly what heaven is like, we can only use words familiar to our frame of reference.

Jesus could be covered in purple and yellow spots, but who cares!!!
What we should care about is what he taught us, what he did for us and how much he loves us!

Brownish. Like everyone else. Really, why do people try to make an issue out of it?

Hi

The truthful Prophet Muhammad Khatamun Nabiyyeen had narrated the complexion of JesusYeshuaIssa and Moses in a Hadith:

Narrated Ibn Umar: The Prophet said, “I saw Moses, Jesus and Abraham (on the night of my Ascension to the heavens). Jesus was of red complexion, curly hair and a broad chest. Moses was of brown complexion, straight hair and tall stature as if he was from the people of Az-Zutt.” Bukhari (Book #55, Hadith #648)
Unquote

Thanks

I guess Jesus also had snow-white hair, a face that shines as bright as the sun and fiery eyes if we took the whole passage literally. He would look like anything but African; in fact, he would look extremely different from any race in the world. :rolleyes:

Jesus might have looked like any regular Semitic man: Black to dark brown hair, rather fair to tanned to dark color of skin.
We don’t even know if Jesus kept his hair short (or at least used to) or long. It doesn’t exactly matter what His appearance is.

As an adult, I don’t really think it matters but for most of my childhood, I believed that Jesus was white because that’s how He was depicted in all books and artwork I saw. Don’t need to ask what color the devil was if you’re familiar with the commonly depicted picture of St Michael the Archangel.

Imagine my surprise to find things were the same decades later when I bought my youngest his first Catholic prayer books. Not that I think Jesus should necessarily be depicted as black or any other race, but maybe some attempt could be made to shoot at indeterminate…:wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.