So what exactly is an RCIA sponser?

Father said I would have to find a sponser to go through to help become and stay a good catholic(or something like that). What exactly does a sponser do?

Baptism and Confirmation require a sponsor. Someone who sponsors, or recommends, you to the Bishop or priest. This person vouches for you, that you are ready to receive the sacraments. This person stands up with you at your baptism and/or confirmation, they have a role in the Rites of the Sacraments of Initiation.

When the one being baptized is a baby, the sponsor is called a Godparent. A godparent or sponsor is a spiritual mentor, they help the person learn to live a Christian life, they are there to answer questions and to be a person to lean on.

If you don’t know anyone in your parish, ask your RCIA coordinator or the priest to help you find a sponsor.

From the point of view of a RCIA candidate, a sponsor is like a mentor. Your sponsor is there with you through the RCIA process, to offer support and guidance. Mine was assigned to me from a group of parishioners who’d volunteered to be sponsors.

I am in need of a sponsor myself. There is nobody in my life who practices Catholicism so my RCIA director is going to help me find one.

=TeenageConvert;7349581]Father said I would have to find a sponser to go through to help become and stay a good catholic(or something like that). What exactly does a sponser do?

A RCIA Sponcer [Rite of Christian Iniation for Adults] is a Catholic who BOTH knows and fully practices our Faith.

Normally they are of the same gender but that is not obligatoy.

They are to accept an actvie role in your furture faith practice and further faith formation.

WELCOME HOME FRIEND:)

My wife was my sponsor. To be honest, I didn’t want her to be the sponsor because she hadn’t been to church in who knows how long, and to this day is still unsure during mass as to what to say and when.

Make sure your sponsor truely knows the faith. Otherwise, you’ll end up in a blind leading the blind situation. As it was mentioned, if you can’t find one, or aren’t comfortable with the sponsor you have, talk to your priest. He’ll be able to help you. Welcome home!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.