So what's up with Southern California Catholic media?

Okay, so I spent this week driving around the Chicago metro area in a rental car. Flipping through the AM stations I was pleasantly surprised at the variety of stations. There were a number of ethnic stations - at least three Polish ones, at least 2 Russian, I also rolled across Spanish, Korean (I'm pretty sure), and some I just plain didn't recognize. I was also pleasantly surprised to pick up the distinctively catholic talk station "relevant radio" (for which I found this link: relevantradio.com/).

I have to say, Southern California has a substantial catholic population, but we have nothing like this on the radio. What gives? Why is So. Cal. so media poor? Why aren't we at least as catholic as the mid-west? :shrug:

[quote="JHow, post:1, topic:244481"]
Okay, so I spent this week driving around the Chicago metro area in a rental car. Flipping through the AM stations I was pleasantly surprised at the variety of stations. There were a number of ethnic stations - at least three Polish ones, at least 2 Russian, I also rolled across Spanish, Korean (I'm pretty sure), and some I just plain didn't recognize. I was also pleasantly surprised to pick up the distinctively catholic talk station "relevant radio" (for which I found this link: relevantradio.com/).

I have to say, Southern California has a substantial catholic population, but we have nothing like this on the radio. What gives? Why is So. Cal. so media poor? Why aren't we at least as catholic as the mid-west? :shrug:

[/quote]

I was recently told by friends and family in So Cal that there is no Catholic radio station.

I find this hard to believe as well - so many people! We have one here in Utah and we have a relatively small Catholic population.

I have encouraged my family/friends to get involved in bringing Catholic radio to So Cal because there is so much quality programming to enrich our spiritual lives!

Good luck!

[quote="lax16, post:2, topic:244481"]
I was recently told by friends and family in So Cal that there is no Catholic radio station.

[/quote]

I'm not a listener to Catholic radio and I haven't lived in southern California for many years, but that seems to be correct.

Looking at the stations which carry two of the major content providers for Catholic radio shows that the stations are all in northern or central California.

EWTN
ewtn.com/radio/amfm.htm

Catholic Answers Live
catholic.com/radio/stations.asp

Most or all of those stations seem to be part of this radio station company:
Immaculate Heart Radio
ihradio.com/stations/
(this has a handy map which shows the location of their stations)

I live about 20 minutes away from an authentic Spanish mission (San Buenaventura), you'd think we'd have some presence on the airwaves.:shrug:

The Catholic Radio Association has a 2008 travel guide for the US which lists stations broadcasting Catholic content.
catholicradioassociation.org/Documents/Catholic%20Radio%20Travel%20Guide.pdf

It shows a handful of stations in southern California, but they are mainly on the high end of the AM dial. One is on the low end of the FM dial. So their signals may not reach very far. And.... they all appear to be Spanish language stations. :o

Odd that you say there is no Catholic radio stations in southern CA. Isn't this board directly linked to a radio station housed near San Diego?

[quote="sweetcharity, post:6, topic:244481"]
Isn't this board directly linked to a radio station housed near San Diego?

[/quote]

Not that I am aware of. Wouldn't it be unusual for them to have such an affiliation and yet not have the station air the program "Catholic Answers Live"?

Do you know the call letters of this station?

[quote="sweetcharity, post:6, topic:244481"]
Odd that you say there is no Catholic radio stations in southern CA. Isn't this board directly linked to a radio station housed near San Diego?

[/quote]

Good point. Southern California is a big area. I'm really saying that I don't hear anything in Los Angeles-area.

[quote="Dale_M, post:7, topic:244481"]
Not that I am aware of. Wouldn't it be unusual for them to have such an affiliation and yet not have the station air the program "Catholic Answers Live"?

Do you know the call letters of this station?

[/quote]

Yes, Catholic Answers Live is out of San Diego and The Lord's Gym (another show on Catholic radio) is out of Covina Ca (So Cal) and another show by Dr. Barber is out of San Diego.

Terry Barber (from the Lord's gym) commented that even though they broadcast out of So Cal they don't have a radio station in the area carrying their show....

It is very strange - I strongly urge people in So Cal to bring Catholic Radio to your area!!
It will bring many into and back into the Church.

I received this in the mail from the Catholic Radio Association looking for money to help "expand Catholic Radio all across America".

Maybe we can start a writing campaign. :thumbsup:

The address is:

Catholic Radio Association
att: Steven Gajdosik, President
121 Broad Street
Charleston, SC 29401

So people in So Cal do not hear Catholic Answers Live, even though they broadcast out of San Diego? That is sad for the people of that area.

[quote="lax16, post:9, topic:244481"]
Yes, Catholic Answers Live is out of San Diego and The Lord's Gym (another show on Catholic radio) is out of Covina Ca (So Cal) and another show by Dr. Barber is out of San Diego.

[/quote]

So the programs are created in southern California. And then they are.... what? Distributed via satellite? I guess when I read the word broadcast I think of the old-fashioned sense of the word, meaning over-the-air radio or television broadcast. :blush:

Satellite radio would be one solution, though. Sirius/XM has two or three Catholic channels.

According to the link here: catholic.com/radio/stations.asp

I find the following CA-carrying stations in California:

KHOT–AM 1250 Fresno/Madera, CA
KIHH–AM 1400 Eureka, CA
KJOP–AM 1240 Lemoore, CA
KJPG–AM 1050 Bakersfield, CA
KPJP–FM 89.3 Greenville, CA
KSFB–AM 1260 San Francisco, CA
KSMH–AM 1620 Sacramento, CA
KWG–AM 1230 Stockton/Modesto, CA
Translator–FM 92.7 Susanville, CA
Translator–FM 93.3 Truckee, CA

If you don't know the region, you can look at my map: maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=206395202626328220558.0004a653f959cc2e0e309&msa=0&ll=38.117272,-121.59668&spn=10.263143,23.225098

Esentially, these are central valley and No. cal cities. Bakersfield is about the closest to Ventura county (with 8,000-foot mountains in between that city and my location, it's perhaps not surprising I don't pull in that station).

I'm not faulting the Catholic Answers guys for being where they are, just wondering what it says about this market that we don't have this type of programming.

Perhaps some radio stations provide English language Catholic programming on a part time basis? KCEO-AM 1000 seems to offer two hours of programming per day, five days per week. This includes Catholic Answers Live. Their signal reaches as far south as San Diego, as far east as Ramona and as far north as Fallbrook (maybe.)
catholicradioofsandiego.com/contents/en-us/d5.html

Immaculate Heart Radio, that carries EWTN just announced on February 16th, 2012, that KCEO AM 1000 will be broadcasting catholic radio 24 hours a day, 7 days a week full-time beginning March 7th, 2012. They are going to have a special Mass Wednesday, March 7th, at 12:30pm at St. Therese of Carmel, 4355 Del Mar Trails Road, San Diego, CA 92130 for the event with the CoAdjutor Bishop of the Diocese of San Diego, Cirilo Flores.

I am so, so, so happy for this! :) It's a dream come true. The only San Diego christian radio right now is the heavily protestant-leaning Family Radio on KECR AM 910. They take swipes at the Catholic Faith daily. It makes me cringe. I now listen to Immaculate Heart Radio with my android smartphone app, thank goodness, but this will be so much better.

I can't wait to have my little AM radio on all day, listening to the Rosary, Divine Mercy, everything! :)

Thank you Immaculate Heart Radio!

Thank you for the update, PatrickSanDiego :)

Apparently San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers, and his wife Tiffany, have played an important role in fundraising for the new station. So has local attorney Chuck LiMandri (hmmm.... now where have I read that name before? ;) )

Here is a press release from San Diego Catholic Radio
sdcr.org/contents/en-us/d21.html

And here is what Immaculate Heart Radio has to say
ihradio.com/sandiego/

From the sounds of it, they may be broadcasting with a bit more power than in the past, and their signal may reach into southern Orange County.

There was a Catholic Radio station back in late 1990s I think. It did carry Catholic Answers live. I think that radio station was was (but I'm not sure) what is now KRLA, which is owned by the evangelical protestant giant, Salem Communications.

The greater Los Angles area radio market is REALLY competitive and Salem has a big share of the English speaking Christian advertisers.

Yaaaay!! Catholic radio went live today in San Diego. Immaculate Heart Radio on AM 1000 KCEO flipped the switch at about 2:10pm pst in a really great Mass and ceremony. The Mass was conducted by our to-be Bishop Cirilo Flores. I was happy to finally meet him in person.

The Mass was at Saint Therese of Carmel up in Del Mar. A very new church with some great facilities; Notre Dame Children's Academy, a huge Church, and a new auditorium.

The ceremony after Mass included a speech by our Bishop. It was good and fiery. I'm glad a Bishop is in line that has guts to say honest things up front.

The flipping of the switch was done by all the people that have been instrumental in the four year project, including Philip Rivers, Quarterback for the Chargers (as noted in a post above). The Immaculate Heart Radio people were all there broadcasting live, handing out all their literature and stickers, interviewing people, networking. EWTN had their people there too.

It was really great. You just don't know how bad we need this station. With only KECR Born Again radio and KLOVE, now we finally get a station to put truth out there.

Immediately the announcers just hacked away at all the general Catholic myths that seem perpetuated by the Jumbotron Born Again community.

It was such a relief, like coming up for air.:thumbsup:
:clapping::harp::hug3:

Patrick, thanks for keeping us updated. Your eyewitness account is great! :thumbsup:

According to the press release put out by Immaculate Heart Radio, the effort to bring Catholic radio to San Diego took four years. It began with one person, Steve Buerle, discovering the Catholic Answers Live podcast. He was startled to learn that it was being produced in San Diego, but that few San Diegans listened to it. So he approached Immaculate Heart Radio to see if they were interested.

Four years of hard work.... but it finally paid off. Congratulations, San Diego!

It's unbelievably great waking up to Immaculate Heart Radio/EWTN. I'm so happy, I spring out of bed!... Well, sort of...;) ....snoozebar

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.