So when do you "shake the dust"?

“And he called the twelve together and gave them power and authority over all demons and to cure diseases, and he sent them out to preach the kingdom of God and to heal. And he said to them, “Take nothing for your journey, no staff, nor bag, nor bread, nor money; and do not have two tunics. And whatever house you enter, stay there, and from there depart. And wherever they do not receive you, when you leave that town shake off the dust from your feet as a testimony against them.” And they departed and went through the villages, preaching the gospel and healing everywhere.”

I don’t mean to apply that the appologist (from either side of the divide) are “appostles” and that this verse necessarilly applies to all of them (or all of us) but at what point do you just shake the dust off and move on?

The lastest barage of threads remind me why I tend to spend a little time here and then abandon the practice for a few months.

Many of the treads, regardless of their originally intended topic, end up getting hijacked by the “your wrong cause I’ve read the bible and it really means ________” crowd.

It pretty much doesn’t matter what the text actually says, the appologist reads into it what he needs to read into it to support his point, even to the point of utter obsurdity.

When logic, reason and even a basic understanding of the english language become unimportant to actually trying to understand the point at hand, is it best to just “shake the dust off” and move on, or has anyone actually seen the tide turn and something good come out of the nonsense?

Chuck

Paul said after the second admonition reject and let the unbeliever be accursed.

It’s my experience that you can never stop speaking truth with the same agape love shown us by Jesus perfect example.

My gauge is foremost a loving intention and then sin.

If a person is not receptive but is willing to continue an informed dialogue then by all means continue.

If they are intentionally or even inadvertently antagonistic for whatever reason whether it be a hidden agenda or simply a result of their indoctrination or misconception and you feel hope that you might find common ground then continue so long as you can absorb the falsehoods with understanding.

When you can no longer dialogue intelligently or present the teachings of the church (not your own) peacefully or feel so provoked that you may sin then its time to end the exchange and “dust em off”. Seeds will have been sewn and the Holy Spirit will use whatever he wishes. Seeds can lay dormant and all things will work together for good for those who believe.

I understand that propaganda and rhetoric is used to sidetrack a thread. Gently prod back to the topic if you can. If not then keep it in prayer and use the wisdom God gave you.

As a convert believe me, the seeds planted are powerful and grow throughout the years. I think when the discussion becomes prideful and slanderous it’s time to bury it. I cannot nuture an interior life with Jesus and at the same time continue to bicker and fight over theology, it kills the life of the Trinity in me. If a forum is interupting my prayer and getting in the way of living in virtue it’s time to walk away for a season. I’ve always admired folks who can balance these things well.

It’s important to remember that, on the internet, one is more likely to run into mixers and flamers and trolls than in real life because the 'net provides them the protection of anonymity. Many people are far more confrontational in forums than they would ever be in person, and some even go so far as to attack things/people whether or not they believe what they are saying merely because they enjoy causing strife.

One must distinguish (carefully) between these and the people who, though they may be confrontational, haughty, or even rude, are sincere in their beliefs and interested in serious dialogue – even if their desired outcome is to disprove the Catholic faith and/or convert Catholics. It is these who need strong yet charitable apologetic responses as much as those who are on a spiritual journey, IMHO.

Peace,
Dante

That’s a good observation. However, this is a Catholic forum so Catholics here will constantly have to answer to the bolded part of your post.

I guess that’s why we even need a Catholic forum to begin with. Otherwise we would all be here as Catholics.

We just plant seeds. Someone else does the watering, but the Holy Spirit makes them grow.

It’s all good, Chuck.

Hope this helps. :tiphat:

It is simply important to remember that it is not our job to convince. It is simply our job to share truth as Christians. Give the information, if someone has legitimate concerns about your answer, answer them. If they are just going around in circles, then it is time to acknowledge to yourself that it is time to move on. You have provided an answer. If it is truth, and they are open to truth, god will make the seed grow. Even the ones that are simply going in circles, the seed is now there. You may never see its fruits (if ever) but thats not the point. Say your piece, and move on.

Something I have to remind myself each and every day

In Christ

Sound advice thanks.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.