So, where did this tradition of Easter Lillies come from?

It’s that time of year again when these miserable plants infest churches, cathedrals, and other houses of worship across the country. Where did the idea of sticking these reeking, asthma inducing abominations of the plant kingdom into churches come from? I know that St. Joseph is depicted holding lillies, but, based on their representation, they are not these.

This time of year, I don’t set foot in any church for about the next two weeks or so. Ugh… can’t we just say NO to these things? Or, sneak Roundup into the building?

1 Like

So sorry you don’t like them or can tolerate them! I love lillies. They represent purity. It is true, though, that they putrify and drop nasty smelling stuff quickly…

3 Likes

Lilies existed in Judea at the time of Jesus. Jesus said ‘Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: They toil not, neither do they spin; and yet … Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.’
However, the Easter Lily currently grown in North America is native to Japan.

1 Like

I wasn’t aware of Easter Lilies in church , but there is some help here if you get to like them . :wink:

https://www.proflowers.com/blog/easter-lily-care

1 Like

I LOATHE the smell of lilies, so, I can relate! They will not keep me out of Church. The beauty of the Easter Vigil is something that even lilies cannot mar.

0 Likes

Don’t hold back, tell us how you really feel :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I don’t care for the scent of hyacinths.
Too cloying.

1 Like

At least they aren’t Gardenias!

0 Likes

Aaaah!!! I love Gardenias!

4 Likes

https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/pet-safety-tips/are-lilies-poisonous-to-cats/

0 Likes

Outside on a bush yes but in a closed in building PHEW a little heavy.

0 Likes

Right now the Wisteria is in bloom. It has such a lovely scent.

Driving home the other day, on a side street we were passing under a giant overhang of Wisteria and I asked my son to slow down, I rolled down the windows to inhale - and all I could smell was the Chinese takeout place around the corner LOLOLOL

5 Likes

No that’s incense when that comes out I leave.

0 Likes

I wasn’t either,until travelling to the US for Easter.
It’s not really a custom to give them as a gift for Easter over here,but I think it’s a nice alternative to giving chocolate :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve never regarded lillies as stinky. However, lilac…

0 Likes

I adore gardenias and magnolias.
I also love lilacs.
And roses.

Lilies are okay but they smell kinda like funeral homes to me. Also, I can’t have them in my home because of the cats, lilies will kill cats if they eat any. My workplace sent me a huge bouquet of them when my husband passed and I couldn’t take a chance on the cats getting to them when I was distracted with grief and funeral stuff, so I gave the lot to the neighbor lady who only has a dog.

1 Like

For me, the three scents of Easter are:

Chrism
Lillies
Lamb for dinner

3 Likes

Yeah I definitely get the issue. This is already the season where I basically have an allergy headache 24/7, because the pollen and mold and all that stuff in the are is stronger than the meds available to take. Putting a bunch of lilies in the sanctuary hardly helps!

2 Likes

I also get asthma when the incense comes out.

I am obsessed with fragrant flowers :bouquet: so I don’t mind Easter lilies.

However Easter lilies represent spring to me, which means winter, my favorite season, is over. I don’t like spring because my allergies make me miserable :weary:. I also don’t like summer because I hate heat and humidity. However, I like the cooling rains and breezes which summer can sometimes bring.

0 Likes

That’s probably because lilies are the flowers used in funerals.

Lilies, especially Easter lilies are the flowers usually used since they represent the hope of resurrection, a very Christian concept.

1 Like

Right now, when I look at the 5 feet of snow on my lawn, I’d be happy with the smell of any blooming plant. :smile:

7 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.