So who did Jesus appear to first?

Who did Jesus appear to first, Peter (Luke 24:34). or Mary Magdalene (Mark 16:9) ?

I ask because it seems to be Mary according to Mark, but the Luke verse is used here catholic.com/thisrock/1992/9202vbv.asp
to say that Peter was first.

So, then Peter was the first apostle that Jesus appeared to following his resurrection, Mary the first person. The listing of Peter in the above catholic.com post then refers to the primacy of Peter amongst the other Apostles. Yes? no?

I believe it was Mary the Mother of Christ. Jesus was not there when Mary Magdala first went to the tomb. Where did He go? To His mother I bet.

I have always understood that it was Mary Magdalen who was the first of His disciples to see Him - that she had gone to the Tomb and found it empty, saw someone she did not at first recognize as Our Lord (this happenned a LOT after He rose) and asked the person where Jesus had been taken…and when she recognized Him, He told her not to cling to him…Mary Magdalen then took the news of the risen Christ to the Apostles. In Mark 16:7 an angel is sent to announce the news to Peter. If you look at the two Gospel accounts, one could consider that Mary Magdalen showed the humbleness and dedication taught to her by The Blessed Mother and was following in the footsteps of that most perfect Christian. One might also argue that having an ANGEL take the news to Peter would be evidence of his Primacy - no mere human, but a creature of pure spirit was sent to announce the Good News.

Or, I could be wrong…:wink:

[quote=bogeyjlg]I believe it was Mary the Mother of Christ. Jesus was not there when Mary Magdala first went to the tomb. Where did He go? To His mother I bet.
[/quote]

I areee with with you, He would preforce go to his Mother first. Mary of Magdala was second even though she was with two women at the time. There isn’t any Biblical evidence they saw anything.Tt was She who ran and informed the eleven Apostles in the upper room. Now on the way back Peter did outrun her. However consider this, there were two women with Mary of Magdala. Simple addition makes Peter the fifth person, not the first, at the empty tomb. The next two to see Him the same day were two of his followers, not Apostles. You can read it all in Luke 24, first twelve verses. That all being said, once again I agree he appeared to his Mother first. Sorry to have seemed so pedantic. However anytime I can advance the cause for Mary of Magdala, I’m the first person there. Dan

If you are interested, you may want to check “The Dolorous Passion of our Lord Jesus Christ” and “The Mystical City of God” to see if they say anything about the subject:

jesus-passion.com/DOLOROUS_PASSION_OF_OUR_LORD_JESUS_CHRIST.htm
geocities.com/Athens/Ithaca/7194/contents.html

I think, just as when Jesus cleansed the temple, that who He went to first is not ipmortant. What’s important is that He did rise, and people did see Him. This discrepancy is there to tell us just that.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with my cleansing of the temple analagy, what I was referring to is the fact that three of the Gospels say that Jesus cleansed the temple at the begining of His ministry, and the fourth one says He cleansed the temple at the end. We believe that this discrepancy is there on purpose, just to let us know that the Bible is not a history book. The important part is that Jesus cleansed the temple, not when He did so.

[quote=Krasnaya Kometa]I think, just as when Jesus cleansed the temple, that who He went to first is not ipmortant. What’s important is that He did rise, and people did see Him. This discrepancy is there to tell us just that.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with my cleansing of the temple analagy, what I was referring to is the fact that three of the Gospels say that Jesus cleansed the temple at the begining of His ministry, and the fourth one says He cleansed the temple at the end. We believe that this discrepancy is there on purpose, just to let us know that the Bible is not a history book. The important part is that Jesus cleansed the temple, not when He did so.
[/quote]

I don’t disagree with a word you say. Of course the Bible isn’t a History book, believers, Christian and Jewish accept that as fact. My question, what is your point? Mine is simply to engage in a debate, not question the Bible. Secondly to advance the cause for St, Mary of Magdala. These are the only two reasons I joined in this thread. Dan

Mark 16:9 is clear on who he appeared to first.
“When he had risen, early on the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene”.

Second was the two disciples walking on the road (Mark 16:12.)

Third was to the 11 apostles (Mark 16:14).

In Ancient Judaism and much of the Greco-Roman world, women (generally) would not be accepted as credible witnesses, so it makes sense that Paul would have ommitted them in his recounting of the resurrection appearances. For as you can plainly read, Paul has no resurrection narative in his address to the those wacky Corinthians.
The Gospel writers, however, had different theological motives and therefore saw it fitting to put the women back in.

So there you go. It aint no discrepancy, though it may appear so to those poor souls who have no knowledge of such madness. Bwahahahaha.

[quote=thistle]Mark 16:9 is clear on who he appeared to first.
“When he had risen, early on the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene”.

Second was the two disciples walking on the road (Mark 16:12.)

Third was to the 11 apostles (Mark 16:14).
[/quote]

Honesty compells me to say that Marcan Gospel ends abruptly at 16:8. Now it gets sticky. Beyond that point there are two versions, long and short. Most Bibles contain the long version 9:20 and is the one most people are familiar with.and the one accepted by the Council of Trent. There are those of my peers who argue it was written by Mark. Others who point to vocabulary and style as not being consistant with Mark. Although it upholds my previous contention that Mary of Magdala was the second person to whom He appeared. Being Her #1 fan and defender, I can accept either version. The short version stated she reported what she saw and later Jesus appeared to the Eleven and sent them forth on their mission. Short version isn’t divided into verses it’s less than fourty words. OK I’ve bored you long enough. Sometime if it crosses your mind, say a little prayer to St, Mary of Magdala,. She’ll be thrilled to hear from you.
Dan

[quote=dancus]However anytime I can advance the cause for Mary of Magdala, I’m the first person there.
[/quote]

Who is the only person, other than Jesus, listed by all four Gospels as being present at the Crucifixion?
And at the Empty Tomb?

[quote=Mystophilus]Who is the only person, other than Jesus, listed by all four Gospels as being present at the Crucifixion?
And at the Empty Tomb?
[/quote]

Although what you say has nothing to do with whom he appeared to first after he rose, I think you are mistaken anyway in what you say. In Luke’s Gospel at the Cruxification no women were named at all.

[quote=thistle]Although what you say has nothing to do with whom he appeared to first after he rose,
[/quote]

Nothing whatsoever, but I thought that it might be of interest to dancus.

I think you are mistaken anyway in what you say. In Luke’s Gospel at the Cruxification no women were named at all.

The Twelve were with him, and also some women who had been cured of evil spirits and diseases: Mary (called Magdalene) from whom seven demons had come out; Joanna the wife of Cuza, the manager of Herod’s household; Susanna; and many others. These women were helping to support them out of their own means. (Luke 8:1-3)

But all those who knew him, including the women who had followed him from Galilee, stood at a distance, watching these things…The women who had come with Jesus from Galilee followed Joseph and saw the tomb and how his body was laid in it. (23:49, 55)

On the first day of the week, very early in the morning, the women took the spices they had prepared and went to the tomb…When they came back from the tomb, they told all these things to the Eleven and to all the others. It was Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and the others with them who told this to the apostles. (24:1, 9-10)

I only know this because it was a great surprise to me when I first discovered it. I had expected that Jesus’ mother would be the one most definitively mentioned, but only John actually says that she was there.

[quote=Mystophilus]Nothing whatsoever, but I thought that it might be of interest to dancus.

The Twelve were with him, and also some women who had been cured of evil spirits and diseases: Mary (called Magdalene) from whom seven demons had come out; Joanna the wife of Cuza, the manager of Herod’s household; Susanna; and many others. These women were helping to support them out of their own means. (Luke 8:1-3)

But all those who knew him, including the women who had followed him from Galilee, stood at a distance, watching these things…The women who had come with Jesus from Galilee followed Joseph and saw the tomb and how his body was laid in it. (23:49, 55)

On the first day of the week, very early in the morning, the women took the spices they had prepared and went to the tomb…When they came back from the tomb, they told all these things to the Eleven and to all the others. It was Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and the others with them who told this to the apostles. (24:1, 9-10)

I only know this because it was a great surprise to me when I first discovered it. I had expected that Jesus’ mother would be the one most definitively mentioned, but only John actually says that she was there.
[/quote]

My comments were not referring to the appearance of Jesus afer his resurrection. I agree he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, but you also mentioned all the Gospels said she was at the Cruxification.In the Gospel of Luke the Cruxification, Death, and Burial of Jesus is Luke 23: 33-56 and no women are named.

[quote=thistle]My comments were not referring to the appearance of Jesus afer his resurrection. I agree he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, but you also mentioned all the Gospels said she was at the Cruxification.In the Gospel of Luke the Cruxification, Death, and Burial of Jesus is Luke 23: 33-56 and no women are named.
[/quote]

Hi here I am ready to wade in deep water. I’ve noticed we three seem the only remaining. I hope neither of you decide to pull out, best debate I’ve engaged in since I got back. The only person missing is Liberian. Remember the title, as to that the first his Mother. I know, the Synoptic Books don’t make mention. However, consider this, for a Jewish male of that time it was the custom and it would have been in private. St. Mary was in deep mourning. On the other hand, they may have assumed since it was a wide-spread custom, it was understood. Now you may come back at me with a zinger! That being, Luke was writing for the Gentiles. that is certainly true, also true Luke was a second generation christian. Again thank you both for an interesting debate. I eagerly await both your answers. Dan

I like to think the first people to see Jesus were Adam and Eve down in Hades, waiting to be led to Heaven. I know, it’s a little off topic and no biblical support for this…though our creed states he decended to the dead before he rose…so he must have seen someone first down there. :slight_smile:

[quote=dancus]Hi here I am ready to wade in deep water. I’ve noticed we three seem the only remaining. I hope neither of you decide to pull out, best debate I’ve engaged in since I got back. The only person missing is Liberian. Remember the title, as to that the first his Mother. I know, the Synoptic Books don’t make mention. However, consider this, for a Jewish male of that time it was the custom and it would have been in private. St. Mary was in deep mourning. On the other hand, they may have assumed since it was a wide-spread custom, it was understood. Now you may come back at me with a zinger! That being, Luke was writing for the Gentiles. that is certainly true, also true Luke was a second generation christian. Again thank you both for an interesting debate. I eagerly await both your answers. Dan
[/quote]

No need to go into deep water. My comments only related to what was actually spelled out in the gospels. I tend to think that the “many women who followed Jesus from Galilee” most likely included Mary Magdalene and lots of other women who are mentioned in various verses in the gospels and I feel they were probably all there with Mary the mother of Jesus at the crucifixion.

i thought this thread was about the apparent discrepancy between Paul and the Gospels’ resurrection accounts. No???

[quote=whowantsumadebo]i thought this thread was about the apparent discrepancy between Paul and the Gospels’ resurrection accounts. No???
[/quote]

You are right but a little digression doesn’t hurt.

[quote=StCsDavid]I like to think the first people to see Jesus were Adam and Eve down in Hades, waiting to be led to Heaven. I know, it’s a little off topic and no biblical support for this…though our creed states he decended to the dead before he rose…so he must have seen someone first down there. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Not a problem with me. Jesus did indeed decend to all the people who existed before the flood. I don’t espouse the idea He decended into Hades. I believe it would be more on the lines of Limbo. A state of perpetual happiness, but the inhabitants never saw the face of God. I really coulsn’t say if Limbo is a viable option in Church teaching any longer. It was the place for infants who died before they could be Baptized. I digress, Jesus taught those from before the flood. Whether they were then released to meet God and be judged? I don’t know but believe that was the reason for His decent.
Hope this helps Dan

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.