So Why Are You Up This Late?

I am up this late because I have difficult time sleeping since the separation so for those on the CAF After Dark - why are you here!!!

Have a headache and can’t sleep. I haven’t been sleeping well lately.

Sorry to hear about that - caffeine helps the headache but won’t help your sleep.

Waiting for DH to come home from work. Not sure I’m going to make it much longer.

They say warm milk puts you to sleep but is that even true?

I'm procrastinating.

I ought to be working on my thesis, as well as a report on junction potentials in neural synapses... for every paragraph I write, I bounce between here and Facebook.

What can I say? you guys are a happy distraction! :)

[quote="BlueShadow123, post:5, topic:219510"]
They say warm milk puts you to sleep but is that even true?

[/quote]

Maybe after the violent puke fest you'll be too exhausted to stay awake.

Actually, I think it induces a sugar crash.

Lol. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ok just started a new CAF group open to anyone:

CAF After Dark

I am now a member :thumbsup:

[quote="xixxvmcm85, post:6, topic:219510"]
I'm procrastinating.

I ought to be working on my thesis, as well as a report on junction potentials in neural synapses... for every paragraph I write, I bounce between here and Facebook.

What can I say? you guys are a happy distraction! :)

[/quote]

If you are bouncing back and forth between this and Facebook - check out LovingCatholics (no space between Loving and Catholics) -I write for them. God bless.

[quote="joandarc2008, post:9, topic:219510"]
Ok just started a new CAF group open to anyone:

CAF After Dark

[/quote]

Oooo! Is there poker? ;)

I'm in Australia. Not only is it NOT late in my timezone (it's about 5.45 pm), it's often not even the same day, although I think it's Sunday both here and in the US at the moment?

[quote="LilyM, post:13, topic:219510"]
I'm in Australia. Not only is it NOT late in my timezone (it's about 5.45 pm), it's often not even the same day, although I think it's Sunday both here and in the US at the moment?

[/quote]

Well i guess we always know that the world isn't ending because its already tomorrow in australia. That was a comment for all the people hyped up about 2012. :p;)

[quote="faithfully, post:7, topic:219510"]
Maybe after the violent puke fest you'll be too exhausted to stay awake.

Actually, I think it induces a sugar crash.

[/quote]

Believe it or not, there is actually some (sparingly) empirical evidence for the claim! (Yep! One old wives tale which turns out to be partially true).

Thing is, it's actually not the milk doing the trick.

Milk is rich in tryptophan (an essentially amino acid to the human diet which is known to induce lethargy). But tryptophan cannot cross the blood-brain barrier unless carbohydrates are in high abundance in the blood (not just the carbs found in milk itself).

Fortunately, many people in the Western world consume carbohydrate-rich foods with milk, which can then prompt the absorption. So while some might attribute the induced sleepiness from the milk they drank, in reality it was the cake, cookies, and gingerbread they ate after drinking (or along with) the milk which prompted the altered physiological state.

Pardon the nerd status. :)

[quote="LilyM, post:13, topic:219510"]

[/quote]

Still Saturday here in California.

[quote="xixxvmcm85, post:15, topic:219510"]
Believe it or not, there is actually some (sparingly) empirical evidence for the claim! (Yep! One old wives tale which turns out to be partially true).

Milk is rich in tryptophan (an essentially amino acid to the human diet which is known to induce lethargy). But tryptophan cannot cross the blood-brain barrier unless carbohydrates are in high abundance in the blood (not just the carbs found in milk itself).

Fortunately, many people in the Western world consume carbohydrate-rich foods with milk, which can then prompt the absorption. So while some might attribute the induced sleepiness from the milk they drank, in reality it was the cake, cookies, and gingerbread they ate after drinking (or along with) the milk which prompted the altered physiological state.

[/quote]

Thats okay, looks like we don't have any milk right now anyways. lol It sounds like it would taste yucky anyways.

[quote="xixxvmcm85, post:15, topic:219510"]

[/quote]

Ahh a stereoisomer of the chemical in turkey. My undergrad was Bio./Chem.

[quote="joandarc2008, post:18, topic:219510"]
Ahh a stereoisomer of the chemical in turkey. My undergrad was Bio./Chem.

[/quote]

Yes! And the effect is even more pronounced in turkey, for a reason I forgot to mention in the last post:

While carbs will induce the absorption of tryptophan, the tryptophan must be present in the first place for it to be absorbed, and since it's an amino acid (the building block of a protein) the surest way of having it present is eating meat along with them milk and cookies!

Turkey just so happens to be a protein rich, AND 3-4 glycosydic carb rich meat. So the carbs in the turkey allows for increased tryptophan absorption, for which the tryptophan comes from the turkey itself! It partially explains why we feel so darn sleepy after Thanksgiving dinner (granted it would take a LOT of turkey to truly feel the effects).

Now that I think of it, I do remember hearing about turkey making you tired.

I forgot its already novemeber. Wow, thanksgiving is coming up soon. Then before you know it, its jesus's birthday!

Although, I actually heard he was born in like august but they changed it to december. :confused:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.